Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Well done Micky Bennett.
  • bellz2002 said:

Brave and admire that he's spoken up about it. The more well-known people that do, the better.

Let's end this myth of boys don't cry.

They do if they support Charlton !
  • Well done Micky Bennett.

He’s a bit under rated but Micky Bennett has been vocal about mental health on twitter for a number of years. He really is a bit of a legend actually and a really nice guy to boot.

Great to see an ex pro doing something positive as a result of what forced him to retire ultimately

• Firstly, thanks Covered End, for posting this,good to raise awareness.

Secondly, great that Chris Kirkland has been willing to talk about his difficulties and also raise awareness.

Thirdly, this will no doubt diminish my popularity, but hey who cares.

Fourthly, there's Mental Health for Celebrities and Sports Stars,that's acceptable to the public, heck it's almost becoming fashionable!

Fifthly, then there's Mental Health for those on the shop floor, that for the most part isn't acceptable by the public.

There have been many on here who have talked about their battles with Mental Health, me included but do we get congratulated no, do we get the support, that these stars get, NO!

I've been very open about my Mental Health issues, I feel it's the only way to beat ignorance and Stigma, it's the only way to stop myself feeling ashamed of who I am, when it's not my fault that this has happened to me, nor is it the fault of others on here who have also bared their souls. But some of the insensitive comments I've had, is unbelievable

I've spent so much of my life constantly having to justify my very existence to those who think we're faking it or it's just a matter of being lazy or we just need to pull "our socks up"

But hey presto a Celeb comes up and talks about their struggles, then their bloody heroes and get all the accolade and support imaginable!

The real heroes are those people who have to live with their conditions and fight a daily fight just to get by, while constantly facing ignorance, doubters and those who accuse us of being shirkers and who don't get the support they deserve, through lack of funding/resources.

‘If those suffering from major Personality Disorders/Mental Health conditions were seen to have a condition with an external, traumatic aetiology, it would be more difficult to exclude them from the traditional illness discourse, and the sympathy that patients usually receive.’
    Van Velsen & Adshead (1997)

Very valid points Sillav. The one advantage Celeb's have is that they are more likely to be in a position to make people more aware of mental illness and bring it more out in the open. And that can only be a good thing.
  • Rob said:

Firstly, thanks Covered End, for posting this,good to raise awareness.

Secondly, great that Chris Kirkland has been willing to talk about his difficulties and also raise awareness.

Thirdly, this will no doubt diminish my popularity, but hey who cares.

Fourthly, there's Mental Health for Celebrities and Sports Stars,that's acceptable to the public, heck it's almost becoming fashionable!

Fifthly, then there's Mental Health for those on the shop floor, that for the most part isn't acceptable by the public.

There have been many on here who have talked about their battles with Mental Health, me included but do we get congratulated no, do we get the support, that these stars get, NO!

I've been very open about my Mental Health issues, I feel it's the only way to beat ignorance and Stigma, it's the only way to stop myself feeling ashamed of who I am, when it's not my fault that this has happened to me, nor is it the fault of others on here who have also bared their souls. But some of the insensitive comments I've had, is unbelievable

I've spent so much of my life constantly having to justify my very existence to those who think we're faking it or it's just a matter of being lazy or we just need to pull "our socks up"

But hey presto a Celeb comes up and talks about their struggles, then their bloody heroes and get all the accolade and support imaginable!

The real heroes are those people who have to live with their conditions and fight a daily fight just to get by, while constantly facing ignorance, doubters and those who accuse us of being shirkers and who don't get the support they deserve, through lack of funding/resources.

‘If those suffering from major Personality Disorders/Mental Health conditions were seen to have a condition with an external, traumatic aetiology, it would be more difficult to exclude them from the traditional illness discourse, and the sympathy that patients usually receive.’
    Van Velsen & Adshead (1997)

Very valid points Sillav. The one advantage Celeb's have is that they are more likely to be in a position to make people more aware of mental illness and bring it more out in the open. And that can only be a good thing.
    That’s very true Rob.

But these stars are normally well off and can afford to get the help and support they need and for as long as they like. If in the case of a sports star, maybe even being supported by their clubs.

While those at ground level have to wait 6 months to get an appointment and then if they’re lucky 6 sessions, to try and unravel years of hell and then cast off to fend for themselves. Because of a government and society who don’t give a shit and try to brush everything under the carpet and pretend it doesn’t exist.

People’s lives are being played with and often extinguished!
  • edited October 14
    Sillav--- I just wanted to say your post is very inspiring and said very eloquently what I feel on a daily basis. Thankyou.
  • pilchard said:

Sillav--- I just wanted to say your post is very inspiring and said very eloquently what I feel on a daily basis. Thankyou.

Thank you @pilchard.
  • Unfortunately in all walks of life for an opinion to gain credence it is not what is said but who has said it often.