Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Designs for new Valley Gates - Usual regime stuff: good idea ruined by lack of thought and planning

Comments

• edited October 2017

HarryLime said:

Charlie has replied to my email:

Hi,

Many thanks for your email, we really appreciate the feedback.

We have had some really useful responses around the design and the wording which will be incorporated to create some final designs for consideration.

On the request of fans, the process has now been extended with the deadline for feedback now October 20th. We agree that it is important to make sure the gates are right especially given they are to be a permanent feature to pay tribute to the club’s historic return to The Valley.

Therefore, the designs will be adjusted based on the fan feedback and presented, for review, to a working group of fan representatives ahead of the AFC Wimbledon game on October 28th in a similar process to the kit consultations on this season’s and next season’s kit.

Thanks again,
    Charlie

Never mind the gates, when does Charlie put his bins out and how big is his knob ???
    Charlie is a she.
    You have to prepare for all eventualities in life. I remember a particular night in the back streets of Naples...
    A true lol moment, thanks soapy
  • Apart from Rock Spectacles excellent idea forget all this My only desire nonsense & 25 years etc as everyone says will be out of date almost as soon as they appear, how about a plain pair of gates with THE VALLEY over the top.
  • Nug said:

Now been invited to the consultation on 28/10 as no doubt have other fan groups.

@nug I'm hoping that you can work up some better designs before 20/10

Any other comments to forward via the inbox

Thanks Henry but I'd rather use my time to help others hasten the departure of the owners even though that seems depressingly unlikely right now. Maybe it's just me but I could not bring myself to do anything that may help them in any way and to be honest I don't believe they actually want help it's another PR exercise. They could have just hired a competent designer from the get-go and quietly got on with it.
    Fair comment
  • The Gates to Muir of Ord Football Club look better than any that this useless crowd have come up with

HarryLime said:

Hi,

We have had some really useful responses around the design and the wording which will be incorporated to create some final designs for consideration.

On the request of fans, the process has now been extended with the deadline for feedback now October 20th. We agree that it is important to make sure the gates are right especially given they are to be a permanent feature to pay tribute to the club’s historic return to The Valley.

Therefore, the designs will be adjusted based on the fan feedback and presented, for review, to a working group of fan representatives ahead of the AFC Wimbledon game on October 28th in a similar process to the kit consultations on this season’s and next season’s kit.

Thanks again,
    Charlie

Mrs Perks & her gang then ?

No
    Are you allowed to divulge who?
  • edited October 2017
    New gates? Just install a kat flap at the ground, set to exit only.
  • When the Belgians eventually f**k off we can get new commemorative gates.
  • Apart from Rock Spectacles excellent idea forget all this My only desire nonsense & 25 years etc as everyone says will be out of date almost as soon as they appear, how about a plain pair of gates with THE VALLEY over the top.

Don't quite get what you mean there Bob?

Think he means that next year it will be 26 years?
  • Sponsored links:

• drewman said:

Apart from Rock Spectacles excellent idea forget all this My only desire nonsense & 25 years etc as everyone says will be out of date almost as soon as they appear, how about a plain pair of gates with THE VALLEY over the top.

Think he means that next year it will be 26 years?
    And the year after 27 years, I know. The gates are to commemorate the return to The Valley on 05/12/92, they are being erected in 2017 as it is 25 years after the event. It's how commemorations work isn't it? I have seen plenty of other commemorations over the years that do not get renewed annually... :wink:
  • The Gates to Muir of Ord Football Club look better than any that this useless crowd have come up with

HarryLime said:

Hi,

Thanks again,
    Charlie

No

The Gates to Muir of Ord Football Club look better than any that this useless crowd have come up with

HarryLime said:

Hi,

Thanks again,
    Charlie

No

Yes, as said above they have copied what happened with Hummel and next season's shirts by inviting all the fan groups on the fans forum plus the Museum. That included the Supporters trust. Last time they also had some Jnr reds look at the shirt designs.

Not perfect but better than before
  • There should be a united campaign by CARD, Trust etc to oppose gates.
    RD and KM will go at sometime ( sooner the better) and and gates etc will be a permenant reminder of them ( something we do not want)
  • cafcfan said:

100% guarantee you'd get better designs from a primary school classroom.
    Shame, because its a nice idea actually.

Robyn, the chicken mascot which looks like Sir Valiant has rammed his sword up his arse, suggests that might not be the case.

BTW it's quite difficult to find a definitive answer but it seems, as these will be over 2m tall, they'll probably need planning permission. I wonder if they know that? https://planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/20/fences_gates_and_garden_walls

I'd like a bronze gate, wrought iron is a bit meh.
    No problem with planning permission as it's an 'open & shut' case.
  • drewman said:

When the Belgians eventually f**k off we can get new commemorative gates.

Or at least take down the ones that go up.
  • clive said:

cafcfan said:

100% guarantee you'd get better designs from a primary school classroom.
    Shame, because its a nice idea actually.

Robyn, the chicken mascot which looks like Sir Valiant has rammed his sword up his arse, suggests that might not be the case.

BTW it's quite difficult to find a definitive answer but it seems, as these will be over 2m tall, they'll probably need planning permission. I wonder if they know that? https://planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/20/fences_gates_and_garden_walls

I'd like a bronze gate, wrought iron is a bit meh.
    No problem with planning permission as it's an 'open & shut' case.
    The old ones are the best mate.
  • edited October 2017
    Interesting point about planning consent. You can build things on the assumption you'll get it retrospectively though. Could also be argued it's a like for like replacement unless higher or in a different location, but either way it's hard to see an obvious basis for refusal. It's the sort of thIng that's usually dealt with by officers under delegated powers.
  • cafc999 said:

Just taken me 5 minutes to knock this up as a starter.

In ten minutes you've come up with something better than the five official options.
  • The new sofa?
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd like one with spikes for the heads of traitors.
  • I'll go along with any set of gates which lock KM and RD on the outside and won't let the pair of brainless idiots back in.

• sm said:

The comms department would like us to know that giving Katie some crayons and asking her to come up with the designs kept her quiet for a good fortnight.

Hmmm I think she's been quiet for a bit longer than that.;-)

• edited October 2017
    After customer disquiet about the whole affair, invisible CEO Katrien Meire has stepped in and taken control.
  • After customer disquiet about the whole affair, invisible CEO Katrien Meire has stepped in and taken control.

Nah..
  • edited October 2017
    Personally I'd leave the gates as they are and have Roger Alwen open them up again for the Portsmouth game as others have said.

And then after the game replace them.

I'd scrap all those designs I prefer the style seen on the Liverpool gates where the top of the gates are fixed and stay in position permanently when the gates open. Why do we have to have gates where the whole thing opens up as is constant in all 5 designs?
  • Be careful about looking at this if you've recently eaten, ill or feeling queasy after a night out. But if you want to see ugly gates this is for you:

• To get the away coach in.