Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Designs for new Valley Gates - Usual regime stuff: good idea ruined by lack of thought and planning

Comments

• I assume these gates will be on one side of the club shop?

The problem with gates there, is that on matchdays, they'll be fully open and nobody will see them anyway unless the message is over the top, and not on the opening section, as with the Shankly Gates

D. and E. are both like that I think mate.

I'd choose E. meself
  • I would chose C, but hate the " my only desire" on all of them.

D and E both have "welcome" which seems a bit incongruous on a locked 15' gate.

I think painting them red was a good idea. Well done to who ever came up with that!
  • Just looked at the webpage. They cannot even properly align the five letters A-E that label the diagrams. How can they be trusted to design a set of gates.
  • Amateur hour at the asylum
  • What about a bit of rusty corrugated iron? Served the old Valley well. Chuck a bit of ancient and lethal barbed wire into the equation and VOILA! we have a perfect representation of what these Belgian fucks have done to our football kloob.
  • To be fair to the club, apart from the fact that they can't assemble a balanced squad during a transfer window (to which I gave up on about 18 months ago) this is the first piece of idiocy I can recall this season, and it's already mid October.
    Anyone know who is "project managing" this, is it Tone?
  • Are they doing this to increase the gate by 2 (or 12 by their counting)?
  • HarryLime said:

To be fair to the club, apart from the fact that they can't assemble a balanced squad during a transfer window (to which I gave up on about 18 months ago) this is the first piece of idiocy I can recall this season, and it's already mid October.
    Anyone know who is "project managing" this, is it Tone?

As Big T was behind the scoreboard fiasco I can only assume so
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Just looked again. It's not the club's site, but my friends from CAST. Sorry guys.

#awkward

Confirms that the decision not to involve the trust in the gate design was the correct one ;)
  • My only desire is that the club does not go ahead with any of these designs. At best, they are cringe and embarrassing
  • Call me crazy, but those gates are iconic as it is, they may not be glamorous but those were the ones that were first unlocked - don't take them away.

agree. We need to chain ourselves to them so they can't take them away.
  • Charlie has replied to my email:

Hi,

Many thanks for your email, we really appreciate the feedback.

We have had some really useful responses around the design and the wording which will be incorporated to create some final designs for consideration.

On the request of fans, the process has now been extended with the deadline for feedback now October 20th. We agree that it is important to make sure the gates are right especially given they are to be a permanent feature to pay tribute to the club’s historic return to The Valley.

Therefore, the designs will be adjusted based on the fan feedback and presented, for review, to a working group of fan representatives ahead of the AFC Wimbledon game on October 28th in a similar process to the kit consultations on this season’s and next season’s kit.

Thanks again,
    Charlie
  • edited October 2017
    She's replied to mine too:

Dear Perry,

We have had some really useful responses around the design and the wording which will be incorporated to create some final designs for consideration.

On the request of fans, the process has now been extended with the deadline for feedback now October 20th. We agree that it is important to make sure the gates are right especially given they are to be a permanent feature to pay tribute to the club’s historic return to The Valley.

Therefore, the designs will be adjusted based on the fan feedback and presented, for review, to a working group of fan representatives ahead of the AFC Wimbledon game on October 28th in a similar process to the kit consultations on this season’s and next season’s kit.

Thanks again,
    Charlie

Sounds familiar somehow? :wink:
  • HarryLime said:

Charlie has replied to my email:

Hi,

Thanks again,
    Charlie

Was just about to post the same reply.

Credit to Charlie (who has taken over as supporter liason now Lisa Squires has left) for replying and to whoever made the decision to have something resembling a proper consultation (see my post above about Hummel).

It helps to listen.
  • HarryLime said:

Hi,

Thanks again,
    Charlie

Never mind the gates, when does Charlie put his bins out and how big is his knob ???
    Charlie is a she.
  • HarryLime said:

Hi,

Thanks again,
    Charlie

Never mind the gates, when does Charlie put his bins out and how big is his knob ???
    Charlie is a she.
    You have to prepare for all eventualities in life. I remember a particular night in the back streets of Naples...
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done Henry for bringing this up. It's communication like this that the club are missing.
    At least it has now been accepted that consultation with the fans is a good way forward but ridiculous they didnt think about this in the first place.
    I guess the club will never learn with KM and Tone taking charge.
  • IT_Andy said:

Well done Henry for bringing this up. It's communication like this that the club are missing.
    At least it has now been accepted that consultation with the fans is a good way forward but ridiculous they didnt think about this in the first place.
    I guess the club will never learn with KM and Tone taking charge.

Credit to the Trust who out it on twitter where I saw it.
  • I wonder if they're thinking in the office "FFS some git has posted this on that Charlton Life website" after all these emails?
  • Now been invited to the consultation on 28/10 as no doubt have other fan groups.

@nug I'm hoping that you can work up some better designs before 20/10

Any other comments to forward via the inbox
  • THE VALLEY in the top arch and HOME OF CHARLTON ATHLETIC within the body of the gates.

• How about VALLEY FLOYD ROAD in the arch and 1905 on the gates?
  • edited October 2017
    Inbox please and better still email @fans@cafc.co.uk
  • With zero expectations I emailed a (somewhat) measured critique of the proffered designs and the quoted timescale. I am pleasantly surprised to report I got a reply thanking me for my contribution and stating that the consultation period has been extended, a bit. Feels like daisy's not got her hands on this one, which is a plus.
  • Fiiish said:

I wonder if they're thinking in the office "FFS some git has posted this on that Charlton Life website" after all these emails?

Have a think about the emails Gents.