Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tool theft - can you all help?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Diy sos electrician billy has had all his tools stolen apparently helping a young disabled kid in orpington - the person/people responsible wants catrating with a rusty spoon fuckers - cannot get much lower than stealing someones living.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16991218.diy-sos-big-build-tools-stolen-while-helping-chislehurst-family/

• Options

Diy sos electrician billy has had all his tools stolen apparently helping a young disabled kid in orpington - the person/people responsible wants catrating with a rusty spoon fuckers - cannot get much lower than stealing someones living.

Scumbags.

My old man has about 5 of his boys on that site with him.

He said there must be 50 vans there so was a target and just happened to be Billy's.

The story about the disabled child is apparently an absolute gut wrencher.

As you say, stealing someones livelihood is the lowest of the low.
  • Options
    That’s about as low as it gets.
  • Options
    Shithouses

People who buy cheap tools without questioning where they came from are just as bad as the skidmarks who steal them

As an aside I can never watch DIY SOS, like animal hospital it serves only to make me feel awful for the people featured and then hugely emotional at the daily struggle and difficulties they are enduring
  • Options
    You would hope a tool company would spot the opportunity for a bit of good PR and replace them FoC.
  • Options
    You can buy insurance for this, and it's not expensive, but the problem is that losses from unattended vehicles is generally excluded. Both losses in this thread would not have been covered.
  • Options
    Hope they get the scum bags that did it and they get strung up.....
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

You would hope a tool company would spot the opportunity for a bit of good PR and replace them FoC.

Thing is, you cant get yankee drivers and wind up meggers anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:

I spoke to them to see if I could help and they said Toolstation (think that's right) was replacing them and a masons group had donated 2k and individuals about the same.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

IdleHans said:

I spoke to them to see if I could help and they said Toolstation (think that's right) was replacing them and a masons group had donated 2k and individuals about the same.
    Rob7Lee said:

IdleHans said:

so he gets new tools and 4k?
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

IdleHans said:

Rob7Lee said:

IdleHans said:

so he gets new tools and 4k?
    And that little glove that scuttles around after you and can scratch your 'arris when you're screwing 2 bulbs in at once!
  • Options
    I suspect he’ll get new tools, I doubt he’d get cash on top!
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Really sorry to hear that mate. My son is a carpenter and has spent thousands of pounds on his tools and he is constantly telling me similar stories that he has heard so I know what a problem this is.

This won't help you but might make you feel a bit better. Absolute true story. When my son was doing his apprenticeship, one of the guys he was working for had his van broken into and his tools nicked.

The following Sunday, he went down to his local boot sale on the off chance the bloke who nicked them might be trying to sell them there. And sure enough there they were. He didn't say a word to the bloke but just went up to him and lumped him one. Bloke went down like a sack of potatoes. He just rolled the blanket up that his tools were on, explained to the people who were watching slightly aghast at what had happened what the situation was and just walked off with them.

Justice at its best.

Yeah that is justice at its best. Assuming of course the bloke selling them was the actual perpetrator and hadn't innocently bought them off the thief, blissfully unaware that he was handling stolen goods.
    I see what you're saying here, but aren't boot fairs usually full of people selling old tat and lampshades? Even if this bloke was genuine and he's bought tools off of somebody else to on-sell at a boot fair, then surely he must have had an idea they were hookey.
  • Options
    Every time I see the title of this thread I keep hoping it means Donald Trump has been stolen.....
  • Options

You can buy insurance for this, and it's not expensive, but the problem is that losses from unattended vehicles is generally excluded. Both losses in this thread would not have been covered.

So you can't buy insurance for it then
    Yep, I should have worded that slightly differently!!!
  • Options
    Do the signs " No tools left in this van overnight" work?

Saw a barker's van with "No cakes left in this van overnight",
  • Options

One of my mates after having the locks changed for the third time on one of his vans got one of those signs and has still had his van broken into. Opportunists don't tend to pay much mind to signs.

Guard dogs work
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Carter said:

One of my mates after having the locks changed for the third time on one of his vans got one of those signs and has still had his van broken into. Opportunists don't tend to pay much mind to signs.

Guard dogs work
    Reminds me of story about a bloke parking his car in Liverpool, a young lad asks "Look after your car mister?" He replies there's a dog in the car, so "No thanks", the young lads asks "What's he like at putting fires out?"
    To be honest, nothing is thief proof there!

The only ground I used to give money to the local yoot to keep an eye on my car was West Brom. I remember a story about a load of Chelsea fans or Tottenham fans all telling the locals to jog on when they asked for money and all the cars had ended up stolen or vandalised

I left a convertible parked up near Man City's old ground fully expecting it to be stolen or ruined when I got back and it was fine. I had got to that game really, really late mind you
  • Options
    My van done over twice in two weeks. Anyone who’s got a transit needs to have the rep lock fitted to the drivers door. Had drills, impact drivers, chops saw, site radio and all my meters robbed. They even had a birthday card from my daughter. As one of the previous posts, anyone who buys this stuff wants hurting too!
  • Options
    Tom said:

My van done over twice in two weeks. Anyone who’s got a transit needs to have the rep lock fitted to the drivers door. Had drills, impact drivers, chops saw, site radio and all my meters robbed. They even had a birthday card from my daughter. As one of the previous posts, anyone who buys this stuff wants hurting too!

That shows the level of scum we are talking about. The cretin that we caught last year had a bag full of stuff that is absolutely worthless to him, half empty bottle of perfume, hair brushes, air freshener. He literally cleaned out the cars of everything not bolted down.

If I'm doing a boot fair or mincing around one and see someone with dozens of tools I always ask them where they came from and why they have four De Walt impact drivers for sale (for example) and check them for identifying marks. The police could make a massive difference if they attended these places and stopped the sale of stolen tools. No market to sell them, no reason to steal them
  • Options
    I was burgled last week. They got off with a substantial amount of jewellery and watches. One of the watches was distinctive in that I had recently had it serviced by the maker and left the sticker on the back of the watch as I had bought it as an investment and not to wear.

6 days on and I have found the watch advertised on Ebay (in the Midlands).

It's strange, that I am far more annoyed at the 23 bidders who have turned a blind eye to the fact that the seller has openly put that they had no paperwork, no box, no serial number and was accepting a 'buy it now' price of nearly £1800 lower than any other comparable watches on the site, than I am with the burglar.
  • Options

I was burgled last week. They got off with a substantial amount of jewellery and watches. One of the watches was distinctive in that I had recently had it serviced by the maker and left the sticker on the back of the watch as I had bought it as an investment and not to wear.

It's strange, that I am far more annoyed at the 23 bidders who have turned a blind eye to the fact that the seller has openly put that they had no paperwork, no box, no serial number and was accepting a 'buy it now' price of nearly £1800 lower than any other comparable watches on the site, than I am with the burglar.

So what are the old bill doing about it? Surely they can nick them straight away with evidence like that?
  • Options
    Never used eBay. Can you bid as cash and collect from buyer?
    Go mob Handed and take it back?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Never used eBay. Can you bid as cash and collect from buyer?
    Go mob Handed and take it back?

I could do that. However, with my wife and I expecting our first baby and the insurance company confirming they will cover all the items in full as I have photos / proof of purchase on all items, I’m quite happy for police to do what they need to do and see what I can get back.

As much as I’m thoroughly pissed off about it, I’m grateful that my wife wasn’t home at the time and that it wasn’t a violent crime. My families and personal well being is far more important than the materialistic items they stole and I’m far luckier than the people who have items stolen that prevent them from undertaking their jobs or aren’t covered for their items.
  • Options
    Haha, there was something on the twitter thread where someone represented that they had their bike stolen, saw it on eBay, went round and asked if they could test ride it, test rode off home.

Course you could pop over with a few mates in the car in case it got difficult, have to hope they sent tooled up though (sorry)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

So what are the old bill doing about it? Surely they can nick them straight away with evidence like that?
    Reported to police, and they’ll liaise with eBay / relevant local police force to the seller.

They weren’t optimistic. Apparently eBays cooperation can be limited due to data privacy laws and most profiles selling stolen goods aren’t actually linked to the person.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Reported to police, and they’ll liaise with eBay / relevant local police force to the seller.

They weren’t optimistic. Apparently eBays cooperation can be limited due to data privacy laws and most profiles selling stolen goods aren’t actually linked to the person.
    Tell your insurers, they generally will investigate/push the police as it’s costing them money!!