Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums (Featuring The Dark Side of the Moon and Rattus Norvegicus)

Comments

• Rattus is one of my top 5 albums and the Meninblack are possibly my all time favourite band so it's an easy decision for me. But I have to say after a long time disdaining the post-Syd Floyd, I've grown to like a lot of their stuff. Maybe it's Roger Waters could have been a Strangler given his er, confrontational style.
  • I think a lot of the album match ups have been hard to know how you could possibly compare one to the other. But it is the nature of the beast and I go with that and don’t question, or not much;)

Blue and Urban Hymns, Stone Roses and Pepper and now this one, which is the most difficult for me.

After my initial forays into music, mid to late 60’s.

The end of the 60’s beginning of the 70’s was my first serious intake and it was Prog Rock. Obvious bands like Crimson, Sabbath, Tull and Zeppelin were instant choices, as were Floyd but for me Floyd were in a different league, to the rest.

Dark Side was an instant classic and I can still remember where I was when I first heard it. Though I don’t play it that much, I still enjoy it when I do. Has it dated, maybe but if you’re a Floyd fan it doesn’t matter.

Rattus was a different kettle of fish. Totally different period and my life had moved on.
    I’d just started Art College in ‘76 and it had an enormous impact on my life and totally changed the direction I was going in and you could say, and the rest is history!

The Stranglers may not have been fully excepted as Punk pioneers but for me there’s not doubting the impact and energy of their music. I loved it, it felt so removed from the stuff I had been listening to, not just them but the Punk movement in general and living in london, it felt such an exciting time and for me The Stranglers and Rattus epitomised the time.

So what I had initial thought would be a tough decision, in the end has turned into, no comparison.

So, Rattus for me and you can “Spread it all over my peeling skin baby, that feels real good”
  • Not Floyd's best but streets if not counties in front of the Stranglers....bit of a no contest this.
  • DSOTM

Rattus is one of the best albums of its genre but Dark Side is one of the finest albums of all time. A timeless classic in my opinion, a view only strengthened following a trip to the Pink Floyd Exhibition at the V&A when I was in London a couple of weeks ago, which emphasised a lot of the pioneering work which went into creating this album. It also gains an extra point for the iconic cover, possibly the most recognisable of all time.
  • Got to be DSOTM.

It's a strange match, a bit like England playing Chelsea. The Stranglers produced some good stuff and were excellent live, but DSOTM is just a class above.
  • edited October 2017
    Saw Pink Floyd at Earls Court in 70’s when Dark Side of the Moon was launched - it was amazing! I still listen to the album regularly and consider it a classic. Like the Stranglers and first saw them supporting Patti Smith at the Roundhouse in 76. Liked the album but it cannot, in any way, be compared to Dark Side of the Moon! Proud to admit to being an aging hippy.
  • A lot of people, when discussing best albums of all time, would plump for Darkside as number 1. As with anything to do with music it is totally subjective but I wouldn't necessarily disagree and at times would also put Darkside at number 1. Other times I might not and I may also take the view that The Wall is a better album, but even then Darkside would still make top 5!

As good as Rattus is, for me there is no comparison.
  • I was 8 when DSOTM came out. I had already been introduced to Floyd by the "big lads up the street" by that time (they were about 12/13 - :smiley: ). I liked the whimsical stuff from the early albums, as a 7/8 year old would, I wasn't so sure about Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother etc - probably a bit too "grown up" for my juvenile ears. But when I heard DSOTM - wow! I think the fabulous stereo effects probably first caught my imagination, the (fairly rich) lad whose house we mostly went to had a fantastic system, but the whole album just grew on me.

By the time RN came out I was into Rock n Roll and the punks were our "enemy", however, again friends were into them and others like them, so I did get to hear the album and secretly liked it. It was a bit more cerebral than the Pistols and a bit less precious than The Clash. And they weren't The Jam...

I was never bothered by the post-Sid vs pre-Sid thing with Floyd, love it all.

But as someone who listens to DSOTM on a regular basis still, that's the winner.
  • Dark side
  • I saw Floyd back in the 70s - probably the same concert as @cafc-west - it was absolutely brilliant. The plane crashing on stage was some special effect. My son is taking me to see the Australian Pink Floyd later this month. Talk about feeling old, he is exactly twice the age I was when I saw the original band.

It has to be DSOTM for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:

I've never listened to the Stranglers record and therefore DSOTM wins by default.

I would have thought it would be right to listen to both albums before casting a vote?

Currently listening to the Stranglers so brb in an hour or so. But tbh I'm almost certain I know what way my vote is going after like 3 tracks so
  • "and "The Great Gig in the Sky" (which closes the first side) probably could have been shortened or dispensed with"

NO!!!!!!!

DSOTM for me
  • Rattus for me - the Chris Jones summary is spot on. It was far more relevant to me and how I felt then (and often now) than the complex, self indulgent stuff coming from bands of the early 70s. It was exciting and made the hairs stand up on back of my neck. And I fundamentally disagree with those who say they weren't punk. Listen to Something Better Change for example. Really want to sing this at my boss right now....
  • edited October 2017
    Rattus all day long, DSOTM is one of those albums that I'm sure some people say they like but don't really. Not my cup of tea, but then I love The Stranglers.
  • Rattus does define what SE London was like to me in the late 70s.
  • "and "The Great Gig in the Sky" (which closes the first side) probably could have been shortened or dispensed with"

NO!!!!!!!

DSOTM for me

Thought this when I read the opening post. Got into Pink Floyd via DSOTM due to this track. First it was an advert for headache tablets in the early 80's - about the same time during one of our "house" assemblies at school some 6th formers played Great Gig in the Sky and another week played Money (no idea why - just because they could I suppose) and was different from the post punk & New Romantic music that was prevalent at that time.

Also, I've told Golfie Jnr that I'm going to give him a list of albums that he has to listen to before he is 18 (he's just turned 14). DSOTM is certainly on there, along with Rumours, Sgt Pepper, Bat out of Hell........ but no Stranglers.

• Rattus.

Might have been a different answer if the Floyd choice was Wish You Were Here.

Both in my top ten albums.
  • Another Dark side vote from me, if that's alright with you Mr H.I. bloody cheek I'll give you ageing hippy I'm only 112, now were is that cocoa.
  • Mildly amusing the ageing hippy comments about DSOTM lovers, as if Rattus Norvegicus was a recent album, when it came out only 4 years later, that's FORTY years ago!
  • Sponsored links:

• Mildly amusing the ageing hippy comments about DSOTM lovers, as if Rattus Norvegicus was a recent album, when it came out only 4 years later, that's FORTY years ago!

Hence the smiley.

May have been four years but it was a long, long time.
  • Dark Side of the moon
  • Dark Side in the lead 22 - 15
  • Dark side is where I lost interest with the Floyd. Just a stereo demonstrator disc to me.

Stranglers, love em. And this album is a personal favourite. So Stranglers for me.
  • I was 8 when DSOTM came out. I had already been introduced to Floyd by the "big lads up the street" by that time (they were about 12/13 - :smiley: ). I liked the whimsical stuff from the early albums, as a 7/8 year old would, I wasn't so sure about Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother etc - probably a bit too "grown up" for my juvenile ears. But when I heard DSOTM - wow! I think the fabulous stereo effects probably first caught my imagination, the (fairly rich) lad whose house we mostly went to had a fantastic system, but the whole album just grew on me.

By the time RN came out I was into Rock n Roll and the punks were our "enemy", however, again friends were into them and others like them, so I did get to hear the album and secretly liked it. It was a bit more cerebral than the Pistols and a bit less precious than The Clash. And they weren't The Jam...

But as someone who listens to DSOTM on a regular basis still, that's the winner.

So Floyd and the Pistols have pre and post Sid eras!
  • iainment said:

I was 8 when DSOTM came out. I had already been introduced to Floyd by the "big lads up the street" by that time (they were about 12/13 - :smiley: ). I liked the whimsical stuff from the early albums, as a 7/8 year old would, I wasn't so sure about Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother etc - probably a bit too "grown up" for my juvenile ears. But when I heard DSOTM - wow! I think the fabulous stereo effects probably first caught my imagination, the (fairly rich) lad whose house we mostly went to had a fantastic system, but the whole album just grew on me.

So Floyd and the Pistols have pre and post Sid eras!
    Syd and Sid to be precise
  • Rattus by a mile for me. Loved Grip and London Lady, and sae them end a gig with Down in the Sewer once. Pink Floyd just don't do much for me.

Rattus.
  • edited October 2017
    Dark Side means something to me as I got into Floyd when I was younger so I have more of an attachment to it than to something I only just listened to. Didn’t realise The Stranglers were labeled as a punk band and wasnt into punk ( more of a mod fan in my youth ) all the songs sounded a bit familiar ( apart from Peaches which I already knew and liked ). Time still gives me a buzz listening to it now. Meddle, Wish You Were Here and Ummagumma are even better in my opinion than DS.
  • Instantly liked Grip on when released and peaches, And a great band. But my vote lands on DSOTM. Far out and cosmic man.