Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Oh shit......a truly magical and unique place full of dedicated, knowledgeable and well meaning people.....how sad for all concerned.
    Echo your thoughts re NapaAddick. Let’s hope we hear from him soon!
  • One of my most favourite parts of California.
    Stay safe @NapaAddick.
  • Oh shit......a truly magical and unique place full of dedicated, knowledgeable and well meaning people.....how sad for all concerned.
    Echo your thoughts re NapaAddick. Let’s hope we hear from him soon!

I too hope NapaAddick is safe, and I'm sure he appreciates your sincere support and encouragement for his friends, family and neighbors.
  • Certainly hope Napa is ok.

My mum texted me late last night to ask if we'd had any wildfires or smoke. I was a bit confused given we'd had rain most of last week and were due for more this week. I didn't really understand until I opened up the LA Times website. I completely missed this, I didn't realize how bad it is. We had our share of fires and smoke up here, but fortunately most of them were far away from us and largely from civilization.

Growing up in LA and having lived in SD, I'm used to fires in that area. I don't remember anything like this in northern California (note, SDAddick's memory is not a good record of time). Went to uni up there and it is an incredibly beautiful area. I hope they get some rain soon. It's October FFS (to be fair September is usually the hottest month up there). Going on what the PNW had this summer I fear that the only thing that will really contain these fires is rain.
  • Hope @NapaAddick does not mind, but found an update he posted elsewhere on the web yesterday. Glade you are ok:

We are okay. No power for 18 hours. We were near the evac zone early this morning but did not have to leave.

The biggest part of the Santa Rosa fire came near us but angled away and hit Fountain Grove. Lots of places I know here in Santa Rosa have been destroyed, including my favorite restaurant, "Willi's Wine Bar." No electricity and nothing is open, including gas stations. Air quality is really poor.

Confirmed 7 dead but they expect it to rise, in Sonoma. Just got word that downtown Glen Elen was spared and the Oakmont 55+ Community as well.

Press conference moments ago say 30,000 acres and 0% contained for the Santa Rosa Fire. The Nuns Canyon fire in Kenwood is 7,000 acres may have taken Ch St Jean. That one probably can't reach us and it is 6 miles away. Mostly firefighters are still just evacuating rather than fighting the fire here.

Where I make my wine is still standing but no real word on the condition of the wines and whether they were affected by the smoke. We really won't know that for many days or weeks is my guess.

---

Thanks for digging that out Danny.....put mine and a few others minds at rest that’s for sure.
  • Saw some other pics he had posted and earlier comments, including a 'ring of fire ' photo from his house. Very frightening.

Glad you are ok @NapaAddick