Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harvey Weinstein

Comments

• What always amazes me is how public figures can get away with things on an almost industrial scale - it really does show how power protects you.

Weinstein is just one of a long line of sleazebags who felt they were above the law.
  • edited October 2017

Haven’t seen a thread on this, so thought I’d make one. Seems to be (along with the Cosby case) as big as saville and yew tree over in Hollywood. Known for years this guy was an arrogant pos, now he’s a rapist pos. he’s even openly admitted to hurting people. Hollywood celebs are slowly coming out of the woodwork to condemn him after he was thrown out of his own company earlier by his own brother (who was rumoured to be the ny times leak last week).

Discuss.

I agree he sounds like an exploitative piece of shit who treated women horribly but I haven't heard anything about rape or violence come out yet, let alone anything that would put him in the Savile and Cosby bracket. Do you have a link to those allegations?
    I'd agree. He's obviously a despicable individual and has committed some horrible offences but I've not read of anything that suggests he's raped anyone or even seriously sexually assaulted anyone.

As a side issue in the Standard the other night it mentioned a famous actor who asked to meet an actress to discuss a role in a new film and when she turned up for the meeting it turned out to be in his hotel bedroom and all he had on was a bathrobe. This behaviour seems to be the norm for Hollywood and has always been it seems. Maybe it will now get a wake up call.

• edited October 2017

Haven’t seen a thread on this, so thought I’d make one. Seems to be (along with the Cosby case) as big as saville and yew tree over in Hollywood. Known for years this guy was an arrogant pos, now he’s a rapist pos. he’s even openly admitted to hurting people. Hollywood celebs are slowly coming out of the woodwork to condemn him after he was thrown out of his own company earlier by his own brother (who was rumoured to be the ny times leak last week).

Discuss.

I agree he sounds like an exploitative piece of shit who treated women horribly but I haven't heard anything about rape or violence come out yet, let alone anything that would put him in the Savile and Cosby bracket. Do you have a link to those allegations?
    I'd agree. He's obviously a despicable individual and has committed some horrible offences but I've not read of anything that suggests he's raped anyone or even seriously sexually assaulted anyone.

He cornered a fox journalist, took out his penis and masturbated on her. If that isn’t serious sexual assault, what is?

http://deadline.com/2017/10/fox-news-reporter-lauren-sivan-claims-harvey-weinstein-masturbated-1202183891/
  • Haven’t seen a thread on this, so thought I’d make one. Seems to be (along with the Cosby case) as big as saville and yew tree over in Hollywood. Known for years this guy was an arrogant pos, now he’s a rapist pos. he’s even openly admitted to hurting people. Hollywood celebs are slowly coming out of the woodwork to condemn him after he was thrown out of his own company earlier by his own brother (who was rumoured to be the ny times leak last week).

Discuss.

He cornered a fox journalist, took out his penis and masturbated on her. If that isn’t serious sexual assault, what is?

http://deadline.com/2017/10/fox-news-reporter-lauren-sivan-claims-harvey-weinstein-masturbated-1202183891/
    I'm sure there's plenty more....
  • edited October 2017

Discuss.

Technically, he masturbated into a pot plant. But that's probably not the point!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Discuss.

Technically, he masturbated into a pot plant. But that's probably not the point!
    Did the plant survive?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Discuss.

Come on, who hasn't?

Seriously though, there are decades of this behaviour to fight. I think we are going in the right direction.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Discuss.

So it ain't a rapist, he's a florist
    one way to fertilise the soil
  • SDAddick said:

Discuss.

There have been allegations of sexual assault in which he cornered a woman and masturbated in front of her.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/weinstein-sexual-harassment-allegation_us_59d7ea3de4b046f5ad984211
    That's nasty but it's not rape. I just think it's over the top that KentAddick bracketed him with a man who's MO was drugging women before sodomising them and another man who was a prolific paedophile. Maybe there are far worse allegations to come but I just haven't seen them yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Discuss.

There have been allegations of sexual assault in which he cornered a woman and masturbated in front of her.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/weinstein-sexual-harassment-allegation_us_59d7ea3de4b046f5ad984211
    That's nasty but it's not rape. I just think it's over the top that KentAddick bracketed him with a man who's MO was drugging women before sodomising them and another man who was a prolific paedophile. Maybe there are far worse allegations to come but I just haven't seen them yet.
    Both are as bad as the other imo
  • SDAddick said:

Discuss.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Weinstein is clearly a deeply unpleasant and abusive man but to compare him to Savile or Cosby on the basis of the stories released so far is ridiculous.

• SDAddick said:

Discuss.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Weinstein is clearly a deeply unpleasant and abusive man but to compare him to Savile or Cosby on the basis of the stories released so far is ridiculous.

How? All three used their power and influence to silence people and intimidate them whilst getting their sexual kicks off of them.
  • SDAddick said:

Discuss.

How? All three used their power and influence to silence people and intimidate them whilst getting their sexual kicks off of them.
    Savile raped children. Cosby raped women after drugging them. Weinstein (again as I understand it from the media) used his power to pressure women into degrading situations and presumably sex itself but doesn't seem to have been accused of full blown rape or overt violence. Of the three cases I'd suggest his crimes were of an order of magnitude less than those of the other two.

If other allegations come to light I'm more than happy to change my views but I'm just calling it how I see it given the information that's out there right now.

• SDAddick said:

Discuss.

Savile raped children. Cosby raped women after drugging them. Weinstein (again as I understand it from the media) used his power to pressure women into degrading situations and presumably sex itself but doesn't seem to have been accused of full blown rape or overt violence. Of the three cases I'd suggest his crimes were of an order of magnitude less than those of the other two.

If other allegations come to light I'm more than happy to change my views but I'm just calling it how I see it given the information that's out there right now.

Rape/sexual assault, tomato tomatoe
  • JiMMy 85 said:

SDAddick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

SDAddick said:

You must have been on another planet mate....sex scandals and Hollywood go hand in hand and have been ongoing for donkeys years.

I mean I grew up in Los Angeles... Some would argue that constitutes another planet.

What I'm wondering is if you're confusing sex scandal and abuse scandal. Two adults having consentual sex is very, very, very different from someone using their power and sexually harassing and assaulting people over a number of years/decades.
    It's an important distinction but the original point still stands, possibly inadvertently.

Hollywood has a history of child exploitation that dates back to the early days and the studio system. MGM's treatment of Judy Garland for instance is a horrifying example of how wicked things could get.

Rose MacGowan has been pretty blunt on the subject of Harvey Weinstein for some time. She very rightly criticised the women of Hollywood for not speaking up about him, and I'm appalled at the quotes from the likes of Streep and Dench, saying they knew nothing. I don't believe them for one moment, and they should be ashamed of themselves for trying to squirm out of it.

Harvey could make or break careers. Not only did he abuse that, he has been consumed by it. The stories so far released speak to a man who felt he had an absolute right to do as he pleased. It's a culture for him, and I believe many others at a variety of levels.

While this may be the tip of the iceberg, I don't think we'll ever hear the true extent of what really goes on in Hollywood. Corey Feldman seems pretty sincere when he talks about how he and Corey Haim were mistreated (their argument on this subject in the otherwise-trash reality TV show, The Two Coreys, is heartbreaking), and Elijah Wood, not one to court controversy, said there's a darkness in the industry that nobody outside of it sees. I've heard a few unrepeatable stories, with one director's behaviour so reprehensible, I no longer watch any of his films!
    There is one point I don't necessarily agree with, and that's the idea of blaming women for not speaking up (be they victims or just women in general). The person who should be blamed here is Harvey Weinstein. If anyone helped to cover up these allegations, then they should be blamed too. But I think it's wrong that oftentimes people default to "women should have spoken up." Anyone who knew should have spoken up. But that should not deflect blame away from the person who committed these acts (potentially crimes).
    Clearly Harvey is the villain here, and I am not trying to imply anyone else is as guilty, or even complicit. There are plenty of people who would have covered up Weinstein's actions, but we don't know who they are.

A huge number of actors and ctresses would have been aware, and would have feared for their careers had they breathed a word, and nobody can blame them for that, that was how Harvey Weinstein operated. But Streep is a different case entirely. She's arguably one of the most powerful actresses in the history of Hollywood, who once called Weinstein her "god", so I find it insulting to suggest she had no clue what he was like.

I think the likes of Ashley Judd and MacGowan were ostracised from Hollywood, and not given any support by the people now claiming to be in shock at the revelations. If Streep hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't pick on her, but by releasing a statement a day after the revelations, I think she's put herself in the mix.
    I agree. Why don't Streep and Dench just keep silent? To declare they knew nothing about it, with the fact that they had been closely working with him for years, is almost like to lie in the public. I mean how could they not know? I read today that Dench once even had a (fake?) tattoo "JD loves HW" on her butt, which simply seems a bit disgusting now.
  • At least eight women have been paidbig bucks to not talk about what went on between them and Harvey. So there's a good chance much will go unreported. Rose McGowan was one of those women. She says she donated the £100,000 settlement to a rape crisis centre.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Discuss.

So it ain't a rapist, he's a florist
    Have you ever been tickled under the hollyhocks or kissed behind the peonies.

Just sayin...
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Discuss.

i suspect in time you may have to change your views
  • SDAddick said:

Discuss.

To be clear, he didn't coerce women into sex, he sexually assaulted them. There is a big difference between those two.

And there are now rape allegations (which you didn't know at the time of posting).

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/from-aggressive-overtures-to-sexual-assault-harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-their-stories
  • JiMMy 85 said:

SDAddick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

SDAddick said:

You must have been on another planet mate....sex scandals and Hollywood go hand in hand and have been ongoing for donkeys years.

I mean I grew up in Los Angeles... Some would argue that constitutes another planet.

What I'm wondering is if you're confusing sex scandal and abuse scandal. Two adults having consentual sex is very, very, very different from someone using their power and sexually harassing and assaulting people over a number of years/decades.
    It's an important distinction but the original point still stands, possibly inadvertently.

Hollywood has a history of child exploitation that dates back to the early days and the studio system. MGM's treatment of Judy Garland for instance is a horrifying example of how wicked things could get.

Rose MacGowan has been pretty blunt on the subject of Harvey Weinstein for some time. She very rightly criticised the women of Hollywood for not speaking up about him, and I'm appalled at the quotes from the likes of Streep and Dench, saying they knew nothing. I don't believe them for one moment, and they should be ashamed of themselves for trying to squirm out of it.

Harvey could make or break careers. Not only did he abuse that, he has been consumed by it. The stories so far released speak to a man who felt he had an absolute right to do as he pleased. It's a culture for him, and I believe many others at a variety of levels.

While this may be the tip of the iceberg, I don't think we'll ever hear the true extent of what really goes on in Hollywood. Corey Feldman seems pretty sincere when he talks about how he and Corey Haim were mistreated (their argument on this subject in the otherwise-trash reality TV show, The Two Coreys, is heartbreaking), and Elijah Wood, not one to court controversy, said there's a darkness in the industry that nobody outside of it sees. I've heard a few unrepeatable stories, with one director's behaviour so reprehensible, I no longer watch any of his films!
    There is one point I don't necessarily agree with, and that's the idea of blaming women for not speaking up (be they victims or just women in general). The person who should be blamed here is Harvey Weinstein. If anyone helped to cover up these allegations, then they should be blamed too. But I think it's wrong that oftentimes people default to "women should have spoken up." Anyone who knew should have spoken up. But that should not deflect blame away from the person who committed these acts (potentially crimes).
    Clearly Harvey is the villain here, and I am not trying to imply anyone else is as guilty, or even complicit. There are plenty of people who would have covered up Weinstein's actions, but we don't know who they are.

A huge number of actors and ctresses would have been aware, and would have feared for their careers had they breathed a word, and nobody can blame them for that, that was how Harvey Weinstein operated. But Streep is a different case entirely. She's arguably one of the most powerful actresses in the history of Hollywood, who once called Weinstein her "god", so I find it insulting to suggest she had no clue what he was like.

I think the likes of Ashley Judd and MacGowan were ostracised from Hollywood, and not given any support by the people now claiming to be in shock at the revelations. If Streep hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't pick on her, but by releasing a statement a day after the revelations, I think she's put herself in the mix.
    Fair enough. I think I was arguing a point that you weren't putting forward (and that I wasn't trying to pin on you).

What I was trying to get at was that when these things happen, there is a default amongst some people to blame the women themselves, blame people for not coming forward, or blame women around the accused. And I think that's wrong, and I think that's sexist.

Again, I don't necessarily think you were trying to do any of that. I kind of got sidetracked.
  • He should be in prison.
  • You appear to have a keen interest (nothing wrong with that). Is there a particular reason ?
  • You appear to have a keen interest (nothing wrong with that). Is there a particular reason ?

You appear to have a keen interest (nothing wrong with that). Is there a particular reason ?

You appear to have a keen interest (nothing wrong with that). Is there a particular reason ?
    Big film buff, work in the film industry and have heard he’s a massive cunt, from both people I know who have met him and from directors I admire (Kevin Smith) who has basically nothing good to say about him.

Just sayin...

lol Might've known it would be Trump's fault
  • "Is that a wine stain down the front of your dress?"

"Nah, it's a Weinstein"