Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This will be worth a listen

Bobby Charlton is 80 on Wednesday and the BBC have this tribute documentary on Radio5Live.

Sir Bobby is without doubt our greatest living sportsman. Iconic, legendary and renowned globally. A true gent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09bjml6

Comments

• I remember this as though it were yesterday. In fact it was me who willed the ball into the back of the net!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLXXL36EmJg
  • There was an excellent doc on the telly as well
  • What a shot that was.
  • Riviera said:

Sir Bobby is without doubt our greatest living sportsman.

Daley Thompson.

• Riviera said:

Sir Bobby is without doubt our greatest living sportsman.

Daley Thompson.

Don't be daft, world cup winner v discus and hurdle champion

Duncan Goodhew is our second best bald sportsman
  • 3blokes said:

What a shot that was.

Against Mexico at Wembley 1966 at the group stage (for those of you who don’t know).......remember leaping out of my chair like it was yesterday!
  • McBobbin said:

There was an excellent doc on the telly as well

it was excellent
  • Made his first team debut against us in around 1956.
  • The abiding impression from the BBC documentary was of a thoroughly humble gentleman. Genuine pride in his achievements, no false modesty and a sincere wish to put his status quietly to good use for the benefit of others.
    I'm too young to have seen him play, I've only seen those same highlights that always get shown but his playing career is so revered by so many other top quality players I am in no doubt as to his place in the pantheon.
    What was also clear is that his heart remains broken for those lost in the Munich plane crash. The way he has borne that all this time and achieved everything since, marks him out as quite exceptional.
  • For sure a genuine legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• It makes me wonder how much money he made in total out of his whole career (in real terms), compared to the average PL journeyman today. But, at the time, he probably thought he was doing okay, compared to the guys from a generation earlier.
  • Riviera said:

...Sir Bobby is without doubt the sportsman with the greatest name...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09bjml6

• A great player and a gentleman. May he have many more years.
  • Really enjoyed that - a truly great player and an exceptionally nice, down to earth and humble man. I only saw him (and George Best) play once and that was when England beat Northern Ireland 3-1 in 1970, just before the squad headed off to the Mexico. Fittingly, on the occasion of his 100th cap, Bobby Charlton scored England's third goal and the crowd rose as one to pay homage.

We've had some excellent international players over the years, like Keegan, Gazza and Lineker, but I think that Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore were our last truly world class players.