Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do we Fear Silence?

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017

Dazzler21 said:

Silence is the natural state.

Silence is being misrepresented quite a lot on this thread, Silence is the complete absence of sound of any nature.

If a room is completely silent, it can only be so without a human inside it.

Tests have shown that a person in a silent room can start to mess with their mind - their heartbeat becomes clearly audible to them which is suggested to be the cause.

https://futurism.com/can-prolonged-silence-really-lead-insanity/
    There is all kinds of constant noise that cannot be detected by humans without technology. When I say silence is the natural state I mean it is for humans until the planet or some other means changes that.

I don’t think people are suggesting total silence is desirable but just that noise pollution is one of the worst pollutions you can encounter.

I'm not talking about total silence @Dazzler21 and agree with others that it could go the other way, insanity.

But i agree with @ShootersHillGuru. At the moment, without resurrecting My Neighbour Upstairs thread but the son has been bouncing up and down on his mini trampoline for the past hour and it's started to do my head in. I believe, rightly or wrongly, such noise should be made in a gymnasium not in a home environment, where others are affected. To me that's just inconsideration for other people.

In addition, the idea of being fearful when left alone with only our thoughts, the truth is, in most cases they are only that, thoughts, and not real.
  • Options
    I've given up with quiet coaches. It's much more irritating to hear one persons noise clearly than general hubbub of white noise that you tend to get in a normal carriage. Even the tapping of laptop keys in a quiet coach can do my head in.

Interesting points made about the need for noise. Having the washing machine on in an empty house can be quite comforting, and the silence when it finishes can be fiercely oppressive.
  • Options
    I have tinnitus so I haven’t experienced silence in a few years..
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

I feel your pain/annoyance. Had it since I was 17, so approaching 15 years of constant ringing...
  • Options

SamB09 said:

I feel your pain/annoyance. Had it since I was 17, so approaching 15 years of constant ringing...
    Why don’t you just answer the door or phone? Sorry:(