Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best voice in the 60'/

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Although, in my opinion his best album was in the Seventies, another heart-on-the-sleeve, Marriot-esque singer is Terry Reid. Probably best known for NOT being the singer in Led Zeppelin, and indeed accidentally FORMING Led Zeppelin. Page wanted him in the new band, but he'd already committed to a tour with The Stones, but recommended this young singer from the Black Country who was in a band with an amazing drummer.

His version of Stay With Me Baby (I think he was only 17 when he recorded) is incredible. There really is no point anyone ever recording that song again.

Another favourite of his is Mayfly.

Stay With Me Baby
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9mDyFgh1o

Mayfly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBMG3IP5ibw
  • Options
    Otis Redding, Eric Burdon and Chris Farlowe. All at once.

https://youtu.be/RUcTKjOQWII
  • Options

cabbles said:

Steve Marriott is great from what I've heard so far. Really enjoying his stuff

Very underrated as a vocalist - amazing voice out of such a small guy. Good guitarist as well and Small Faces never really got the credit they deserved.
    Went to see the musical All Or Nothing yesterday....well worth going especially if your a Small Faces fan.
  • Options
    Roger Chapman.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Very underrated as a vocalist - amazing voice out of such a small guy. Good guitarist as well and Small Faces never really got the credit they deserved.
    Went to see the musical All Or Nothing yesterday....well worth going especially if your a Small Faces fan.
    Will be sorting out tickets for this, looks good.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Transferring to the ambassador theatre after it finishes at the arts theatre.
  • Options
    Otis Redding or Marvin Gaye for me
  • Options
    Sam Cooke.
  • Options
    Aretha?
  • Options
    UK: a young Robert Wyatt & Sandy Denny + Bridget St John
    World: Ray Charles & Nina Simone + P.P.Arnold

(Interesting that Rod Stewart is blown out so far)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob Dylan - no one could make words mean so much.
  • Options
    Maxine Brown
    Betty Lavette
    Eddie Holman
    Chuck Jackson
    Doris Troy
    and the sublime Brenda Holloway

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Probably one from the 61/62 season that had a picture of the bumper Derby FA Cup crowd on the front cover and where @Airman Brown heavily criticised the regime as ‘inept’ in a two-page editorial for failing to give an appropriate tribute to Jimmy Trotter in the Match day programme...
  • Options
    Nadou said:

No question about that and he is my ultimate musical hero.

But best voice ...?
  • Options

Probably one from the 61/62 season that had a picture of the bumper Derby FA Cup crowd on the front cover and where @Airman Brown heavily criticised the regime as ‘inept’ in a two-page editorial for failing to give an appropriate tribute to Jimmy Trotter in the Match day programme...

My first ever game Smudge, FA Cup 4th Round, Brian Kinsey scored the winner (2-1).
    Me and my mate managed to squeeze our way down to the front of the covered end behind the goal.
    Att. 34,000+, reason there was such a big crowd although the club, by then, were in terminal decline was, I found out many years later, was no other big games in London so plenty of neutrals turned up.

Not many people know that :smile:
  • Options
    David Ruffin and Otis Redding.
  • Options
    Johnny Mathis
  • Options
    Colin Blunstone
  • Options

cabbles said:

Saw it "on tour" in Bournemouth and loved it.
    Not quite as good as the Kinks "Sunny Afternoon" musical imo, but both benefit from such a great catalogue of songs.
  • Options
    Reggie King from the Action
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    bobmunro said:

Nadou said:

No question about that and he is my ultimate musical hero.

But best voice ...?
    The obsession with 'Best' is what resulted in all the box ticking exercises known as 'The voice' or 'Britten got tallent' etc'...
    Maria Callas wasn't 'the best', but she moved many of us and spoke to us.
    For me, Dylan is a typical example of it as are Chett Baker or Johnny Mathis amongst others, and Dylan and the last 2 have hardley anything in common.
    'Best singer' usually equates to shiny vehicle.
    But where is it going, and am i being taken is what matters to me...
  • Options
    wwaddick said:

Reggie King from the Action

Along with Steve Marriot I would say.