Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best voice in the 60'/

Comments

• Scott Walker (classics such as Love Her & Make it easy on yourself)
    Levi Stubbs (fantastic lead singer of The Four Tops)
    Eric Burdon (It's my life)
  • edited October 2017
    Solidgone said:

Surprised that no one has mentioned the classical singers sure as Joan Sutherland and Janet Baker or anyone of the three tenors. I'd go for Pavarotti.

Joan Sutherland......painful!
  • This thread is good because I like a lot of the stuff cabbles Snr plays on the way to games when he puts on radio 2 and they do a chart run down from that same date, but back in the 60s. It's on sat afternoon with that Paul gambacini??? I never know who they are, so I'm taking down all the artists you lot have listed, and I'm downloading them for Napster

Keep em coming please
  • Dusty Springfield
    Frank Sinatra
    Otis Redding
    Matt Monro
  • Jaques Brel (Belgian, but so is chips...)
  • edited October 2017
    bobmunro said:

Frank Sinatra, tony Bennett, nat king cole were still around so if it's a best voice competition then they'd win it hands down though that chap Elvis might give them a run for their money

Add Matt Monro to that list - the best singer in the world according to Frank Sinatra.
    Been round his house. One of many chasing his daughter Michele. Bus driver I think.
  • Listening to this Steve marriott fella now

Some of his stuff doesn't sound like a white male vocal

All good so far
  • edited October 2017
    cabbles said:

Listening to this Steve marriott fella now

All good so far

Get up Tin Soldier, one of my favs and I think PP Arnold is backing on it an all
  • cabbles said:

Listening to this Steve marriott fella now

All good so far

Get up Tin Soldier, one of my favs and I think PP Arnold is baking on it an all
    Cheers
  • gave Matt Monro a listen over the weekend. Not really my kin of music but his voice... you guys weren't joking.
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

gave Matt Monro a listen over the weekend. Not really my kin of music but his voice... you guys weren't joking.

Not bad for an ex bus driver.
  • id go with the big O and Levi Stubbs ...2 such individual voices ...i expect they could cover say a sinatra number but could he have done the same in return
  • The point is they are all pretty good, how to measure the 'best' is so subjective.
    A couple I don't think mentioned so far are:

Cat Stevens
    Paul Rogers
  • hawksmoor said:

Curtis Mayfield (still with The Impressions in the 60s, but still), Otis, Marvin, Aretha, Mavis Staples, Wilson Pickett, Sam Cooke (even though he didn't live to see much of the 60s).

Curtis of course and Mavis Staples.

The Staple singers rarely get a mention yet produced great songs.

Bill Withers has a very distinctive, emotive voice. Great voice maybe not.but music is about the power to move not technical perfection. Otherwise Michael Ball or Pat Boone would win.
    I associate Withers more with the Seventies, but then a lot of people would associate Curtis Mayfield more with the Seventies, too. Use Me and Kissing My Love are personal Bill Withers favourites. Out of coincidence, I watched Mavis!, the Mavis Staples documentary over the weekend.

• hawksmoor said:

hawksmoor said:

Curtis Mayfield (still with The Impressions in the 60s, but still), Otis, Marvin, Aretha, Mavis Staples, Wilson Pickett, Sam Cooke (even though he didn't live to see much of the 60s).

Bill Withers has a very distinctive, emotive voice. Great voice maybe not.but music is about the power to move not technical perfection. Otherwise Michael Ball or Pat Boone would win.
    I associate Withers more with the Seventies, but then a lot of people would associate Curtis Mayfield more with the Seventies, too. Use Me and Kissing My Love are personal Bill Withers favourites. Out of coincidence, I watched Mavis!, the Mavis Staples documentary over the weekend.

Where was that on @hawksmoor?

Yes, Bill Withers in more 1970s but Curtis was singing with the Impressions before going solo in the early 70s
  • bobmunro said:

Frank Sinatra, tony Bennett, nat king cole were still around so if it's a best voice competition then they'd win it hands down though that chap Elvis might give them a run for their money

Add Matt Monro to that list - the best singer in the world according to Frank Sinatra.
    Been round his house. One of many chasing his daughter Michele. Bus driver I think.
    No.... Michelle was a hairdresser, Matt was the bus driver.
  • Just heard the Walker Brothers singing My ship is coming in.
    For me Scott Walker had the best Male voice followed by Robert Plant although he would be tops for me in the 70's.
    For the Ladies for me it has to be Dusty?

Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin...
  • 60's, has to be Levi Stubbs for me...so many memorable songs and Otis Redding a close call. Mama Cass from the ladies.
  • I've gone for Curtis mayfield today. Again very good. I'll just keep working my way through them. Got 3 pages worth so should be very good
  • seth plum said:

The point is they are all pretty good, how to measure the 'best' is so subjective.

Cat Stevens
    Paul Rogers

Paul Rodgers is 1970s - for my money the best rock vocalist ever!
  • Sponsored links:

• Billy Fury
  • Professor Stanley Unwin
  • edited October 2017
    Although not a household name until the 70’s I’m going to throw up a curve ball.......Noddy Holder as he did in fact start his professional career in the 60’s.
    Fantastic singer and front man who saddled himself with the somewhat disappointing Slade, whereas he should really have tried to find a more respected position in the Rock Industry. He should have been performing and recording with far better and renowned musicians and songwriters, filling out huge stadiums and rock festivals in his own right.......yes, without question his voice really was that good.
    In many ways a wasted career IMHO. He has of course done very well for himself. Merry Christmas Everybody made him a very wealthy man and each year those royalties keep rolling in like clockwork.
    But he was worthy of a lot more recognition within the industry than the somewhat turgid mostly forgettable pop material dished up by Slade.
    In its day, his voice was right up there with the very best of them. Sadly, we never heard the best of it.
  • hawksmoor said:

hawksmoor said:

Where was that on @hawksmoor?

Yes, Bill Withers in more 1970s but Curtis was singing with the Impressions before going solo in the early 70s
    It was on DVD. I bought it on Amazon for around a fiver all in. I was re-buying the HBO James Brown doc that I'd lent to someone who didn't give it back, and the Mavis doc was recommended.

Big fan of The Impressions, by the way. I've Been Trying is one of my absolute favourite soul harmony songs of the Sixties.
  • cabbles said:

I've gone for Curtis mayfield today. Again very good. I'll just keep working my way through them. Got 3 pages worth so should be very good

Only bother with hawksmoor and my recommendations, you won't go far wrong then.
  • As an aside, Henry, but still relevant to the time frame, I read a review of the Ace Records compilation of the songs Bobby Womack supplied to Wilson Pickett. (A bit niche, but right up my street.)

What I didn't know is that Womack was persuaded to give all the self-penned songs he was saving for his own debut album to Pickett, the label not having any faith in Womack's voice, but at least allowing him to get some royalties. Which is why there are so many covers on Womack's eventual debut album. He'd given all his songs away!
  • Saga Lout said:

seth plum said:

The point is they are all pretty good, how to measure the 'best' is so subjective.

Cat Stevens
    Paul Rogers

Paul Rodgers is 1970s - for my money the best rock vocalist ever!
    Definitely agree.
    Also one of the nicest ever.

• Has anybody mentioned Desmond Dekker King of Ska? A true voice of 1960s club/pub scene in SE London.
  • Scott Walker
    Noddy Holder
    Janis Joplin
    Dusty Springfield
    Pet Clark
    Ronald, O'Kelly & Rudolph Isley (Brothers)
    Ben E King
  • Ooh, Ben E King. Going out of time frame (1975), but I've always liked his Supernatural album, particularly for Supernatural Thing, of course, and the Lou Courtney cover What Do You Want Me To Do.