Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best voice in the 60'/

Comments

• Options
    Roger Chapman - Family
  • Options
    David Ruffin of The Temptations.
  • Options
    Remember listening with my Dad to Pick of the Pops with Alan Freeman, on the wireless - and The Seekers had a female singer with a quality voice, made singing effortless. My sister at that time might have picked Julie Andrews, but then she loved Mary Poppins.

Girlfriend's Mum loved Andy Williams - you know, "Born Free as free as the wind blows" stuff.

More of one of my sorts of music, was Sandy Denny of Fairport. Joan Baez too.
    Nerver knew how Roy Orbison hit those notes - and he was still doing it 25 years later for the Travelling Wilburys at the end of the 80s, just before he died.

But it's all a bit subjective anyway. My taste in music is pretty eclectic - loved the blues, R & B, folk rock, prog, you name it, and each genre had some superb vocalists.

• Options
    Frankie valli
  • Options
    Greenie said:

But it's best voice, not best singer, a great tone and great timing sometimes beats a pitch perfect vocalist.

*Peers at title* oh yeah. As you were lads, as you were.

Btw, Im a big stones fan, just think he can't sing all that well.

See also: Ian Brown
  • Options
    #TeamMcBobbon
  • Options

Frankie valli

He's still got it at 82 years old, falsetto and all - saw him live a few months back.

Not my favourite, mind
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Solidgone said:

Roger Chapman - Family

I wondered if anybody would pick Rog.
    I love him to bits and his warbly , smokeandbooze rock vocals.

Not the best voice though.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Was banished so never got the audience he deserved but PJ Proby wasn't bad and he can still do a job today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Got banished so never got the audience he deserved but PJ Proby wasn't bad and he can still do a job today.

I saw him in the Elvis musical about 20 years ago, he was superb.
  • Options
    McCartney n Diana Ross
  • Options
    Some great nominations on here that are very hard to argue with.I am still sticking with Scott Walker - just love his voice - but then again Matt Monroe,Sam Cooke and Roy Orbison .....
    The 60's were truely a magical era.
    For the ladies I said Dusty - but have to admit Judith Durham comes a Very Close second IMO
  • Options
    Christine McVie
  • Options
    Not my era but I'd offer Aretha Franklin and Percy Sledge
  • Options
    Curtis Mayfield (still with The Impressions in the 60s, but still), Otis, Marvin, Aretha, Mavis Staples, Wilson Pickett, Sam Cooke (even though he didn't live to see much of the 60s).
  • Options
    It seems to be received wisdom these days that Aretha Franklin is the "greatest female singer".
    Much as I admire Aretha I have always had a soft spot for Dusty Springfield.
    Was it Aretha or somebody else who famously said "I couldn't believe she was white" about Dusty.
    Here's an amusing anecdote from Martha Reeves -
    "Dusty allowed me to sing a duet with her on her big hit "Wishin' and Hopin'" with the Vandellas singing background. I could see Diane [Ross] in the wings eating her heart out because she hadn't been chosen to do it".
  • Options

Some great nominations on here that are very hard to argue with.I am still sticking with Scott Walker - just love his voice - but then again Matt Monro,
    For the ladies I said Dusty - but have to admit Judith Durham comes a Very Close second IMO

I am just going to say,bang on I agree with you.

• Options

Love the stones excellent band, great songs but Jagger isn't, imho, a great voice.

I went to the Stones exhibition last year. They had a mixing desk you could play with and when you listened to Mick with no backing then it's absolutely clear that he doesn't have a great voice, however it suits the material and his personality is perfect for the band.

I also agree with Henry with Otis and Aretha as my top two, but I'll also give honourable mention to two previously unmentioned names, Bill Medley and Lou Rawls.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Curtis Mayfield (still with The Impressions in the 60s, but still), Otis, Marvin, Aretha, Mavis Staples, Wilson Pickett, Sam Cooke (even though he didn't live to see much of the 60s).

Curtis of course and Mavis Staples.

The Staple singers rarely get a mention yet produced great songs.

Bill Withers has a very distinctive, emotive voice. Great voice maybe not.but music is about the power to move not technical perfection. Otherwise Michael Ball or Pat Boone would win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not quite in the same league but I was listening to some PP Arnold this morning, and she's a cracking singer
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Not quite in the same league but I was listening to some PP Arnold this morning, and she's a cracking singer

I was gonna put her on the list yesterday, but after logging in, must've forgot.
  • Options

Paul Jones

I wondered if his name would crop up. Great voice.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Roy Orbison by a mile.

Cat Stevens, Johnny Cash, Del Shannon.

Not my era, but I'll go with the big O. Love his stuff
  • Options
    Steve Marriott - great voice for blues
    Jackie Wilson
    Johnny Cash
  • Options
    Elvis
  • Options

Steve Marriott - great voice for blues
    Jackie Wilson
    Johnny Cash

Love the Small Faces so won't argue with that.
  • Options
    Surprised that no one has mentioned the classical singers sure as Joan Sutherland and Janet Baker or anyone of the three tenors. I'd go for Pavarotti.
  • Options
    Ray Charles had a great voice