Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Netflix v. Amazon Prime v. Now TV

Not sure these have been compared before on here? And in the spirit of non-footballing threads. Am considering one of these services. Has anyone got any preference - recommendations? Mainly want a selection of movies and/or TV series to watch. Would like live sports - but I already have BT sport, so not desperate. What's the best - any strong opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Nah...you're in the wrong place for strong opinions I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Netflix for me. Amazon seems a bit confusing on whether you pay extra individual tv programmes
  • Options
    Netflix have the best original shows like house of cards, narcos, bojack horseman etc as well as having some great films on there and other to series like mad men. Not sure if now tv you get access to sky boxsets which gives you access to HBO's back catalogue (sopranos, the wire, game of thrones, curb your enthusiasm etc)
  • Options
    I think the general view is that there's not much between Amazon Prime and Netflix in terms of what you get for the money. I've heard said that Amazon is best for film buffs and Netflix for TV stuff but have little experience of Netflix - I've got Amazon Prime but don't really use it that much (shit broadband where I live).

Both offer free trials so why not take both of them up on that and then decide.

Don't know enough about Now TV to comment.
  • Options
    Just get all 3
  • Options
    Amazon Prime is also useful if buy a lot of stuff from them, as you get quick delivery, and more specific times
  • Options
    I have Amazon Prime and Netflix . Netflix is by far the better for TV shows but if it's films you want Amazon Prime has much more choice .
    If you had to pick one I would say go for Netflix
  • Options
    Had Netflix for a couple of months now and have just cancelled it. Can not believe what all the fuss is about, tried Breaking bad, but the two main actors done my nut within the first few episodes. Then Narcos, which okay, but just got bored of it.

The less said about the films they got, the better.

I do believe that over the next couple of years, they're making some big changes so I may come back then, but for now we've just bought a cheap freeview box so my Mrs can watch Come Dancing and I can dip in and out of Grand Designs and Match Of The Day on the odd occasion. Although, if I had my way, we wouldn't have a tv in the house at all....
  • Options
    I've somehow managed to end up with all 3!

Now TV I only subscribed to for Game of Thrones. It's a pretty limited selection otherwise but is handy to dip in and out just for shows on Sky Atlantic that I can't get on Virgin. I did consider ditching Sky Sports and using Now TV instead but it's live only with no catch-up, I'd like to be able to record a game and watch it when it's convenient.

Amazon is OK and has some good shows but I find it quite annoying that after paying for their Prime service I then have to pay extra for some TV and movies. I've never 'rented' a movie from them yet and don't think I will on principle. They've finally released an Android app for prime video, thankfully they gave up on trying to force everyone to get one of their fire tablets to watch.

Netflix is the winner for me. Huge selection though not as much as the US service gets (a lot of it crap, to be fair!), no extra payments and I can download shows to watch on the train to work. (I've also become strangely addicted to the Korean stuff they have now, but that's a story for another day!)
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Not sure these have been compared before on here? And in the spirit of non-footballing threads. Am considering one of these services. Has anyone got any preference - recommendations? Mainly want a selection of movies and/or TV series to watch. Would like live sports - but I already have BT sport, so not desperate. What's the best - any strong opinions?

I have all 3, I would rate them as follows:

3. NowTV
    It's decent with a number of different shows - most of which are very good (Thrones, TWD etc) However it's £7.99 a month for those that includes a watch live option. Movies can be added for an additional £9.99 a month I believe and Sports day passes are also £6.99 A DAY. Not bad for one offs, but not cost effective for regular watching... Plus we're never on Sky so, it can work out quite cheap :lol:

2. Amazon Prime
    It's okay for movies, but all the newer movies are charged at £3.50 rental or £4.50 if you want HD. Luckily however I see this as an add-on to my delivery membership with amazon. You also get prime music which has a decent amount of free music and can be upgraded to Prime Unlimited for £7.99 a month. 1 Warning there's a lot of shit movies and shows on amazon... Vikings is one of the best.

1. Netflix
    This is the king because of the huge availability of series' and also the amount of fresh content, especially movies and tv shows that Netflix now deliver to us all.
    It does all you want in HD for £7.50 a month (i think) or UHD for £8.49 amonth (i think).

If I had to keep only one, it'd be Netflix as I can access all the same movies on PSN that I can rent on Amazon and NowTV is available whenever you need it for whichever pass you want to activate. (Easy to cancel and re-start). I'm not sure Amazon has a monthly option anymore.

All together I am currently paying about £22 a month which gets me all the movie and tv options I want as well as a decent music app and next day delivery from Amazon, that with a young baby is priceless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I also currently have all 3.

With Now TV if you use the free trial then request to cancel they automatically offer you something like 3 months for 50% off. This worked for both the entertainment and films packages that I tried. On saying that once the cheaper period ends I'm gonna cancel. There's only a couple of series I'm interested in that are currently on a break and I can always watch them on Putlocker later. There's not enough on there personally for me, including the films, to give me value.

Amazon prime I think is only worth getting if you're going to use the other stuff like shopping, books etc. I find it quite limited in choice and most of the content isn't completely free. I wouldn't have it just for the films on it's own.

Netflix is by far the better regular TV and film option.

But at the end of the day it comes down to what programmes and films you want to watch.

I'll also add that if people are interested in classic films, cult, art house, international.......Basically a film buff, then MUBI is a good online service. They have a rolling 28 films at a time with 1 being changed daily. My Subscription is £48 a year so I think it's very good value.
  • Options
    I've got Netflix and amazon prime, very rarely use amazon prime video to be honest but considering its only 70 odd quid and you get next day delivery for the year its worth it. Netflix would be my choice if i was only going to have 1
  • Options
    Its very annoying that we can't get HBO GO in the uk, so many good shows on there
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Now TV I only subscribed to for Game of Thrones. It's a pretty limited selection otherwise but is handy to dip in and out just for shows on Sky Atlantic that I can't get on Virgin. I did consider ditching Sky Sports and using Now TV instead but it's live only with no catch-up, I'd like to be able to record a game and watch it when it's convenient.

Amazon is OK and has some good shows but I find it quite annoying that after paying for their Prime service I then have to pay extra for some TV and movies. I've never 'rented' a movie from them yet and don't think I will on principle. They've finally released an Android app for prime video, thankfully they gave up on trying to force everyone to get one of their fire tablets to watch.

Netflix is the winner for me. Huge selection though not as much as the US service gets (a lot of it crap, to be fair!), no extra payments and I can download shows to watch on the train to work. (I've also become strangely addicted to the Korean stuff they have now, but that's a story for another day!)

You think that 80 a year entitles you to unlimited viewings of the latest films?
  • Options

Its very annoying that we can't get HBO GO in the uk, so many good shows on there

Sky go/ sky boxsets is essentially the same thing
  • Options
    I've used all 3. Now TV is expensive for just TV shows, I ran out of stuff fairly quickly.

Amazon doesn't have much decent TV, it gets some new high profile films but has a lot of crap. It's okay for a while.

Netflix does have rubbish but I think is the best all rounder. It has some classic films, foreign stuff, plus the obvious TV shows. I've been off it for a few months and will rejoin soon.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

Missed It said:

You think that 80 a year entitles you to unlimited viewings of the latest films?
    No, I pay more than that to Sky movies. I just find the micro-transaction business model irritating. I want to pay for a service and know what I'm getting, not finding a show I might like to watch then seeing I'd have to pay more for it.
  • Options

Sky go/ sky boxsets is essentially the same thing
    I just can't get my fix of Curb Your Enthusiasm, heartbreaking
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    This is what I said a few months back about Now TV on another thread about Sky Sports:

"I got a free Now TV pass with some insurance for three months. ( I wasn't too bothered about it as already have Sky Sports.) But it seemed to be incompatible with virtually every application I run. Didn't work on Chrome, wouldn't work on the Now TV app on my Youview box (bizarre - only movies not entertainment), incompatible with Linux and wouldn't work on my tablet. That meant the only thing I could use it with was my Windows-based laptop and then only if I switch browser.
    All in all about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Needless to say it got cancelled after the free trial."

I've had Amazon Prime for around a year and have just started a Netflix subscription. Both seem to work very well. I get a little bit of buffering every now and then on Prime. (It must be their servers being over-worked - I've got plenty of broadband speed). No such problems so far with Netflix. But I note they have just announced they've put their prices up.
  • Options
    I've had all 3 an times, only got Amazon Prime at the moment. I believe you can get all 3 on Kodi.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got NowTV on a freebie, and not tried the others. If I had to pay for NowTV, not sure I'd bother as I hardly watch TV. but it's nice to have sky sports, I've only seen a couple of series on the entertainment package. I really like the films though... especially if like me you don't often watch them, so there are loads of classics to chose from. If you have young kids, then the kid's package is excellent and pretty cheap.
  • Options
    netlfix is the winner for me. I have prime and do watch it from time to time but Netlix I always have running. The one draw back to Netlfix was the lack of a download feature but they have finally introduced it so way hey
  • Options

netlfix is the winner for me. I have prime and do watch it from time to time but Netlix I always have running. The one draw back to Netlfix was the lack of a download feature but they have finally introduced it so way hey

My biggest bug bear is you can’t download some shows, like rick and morty.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

This is what I said a few months back about Now TV on another thread about Sky Sports:

"I got a free Now TV pass with some insurance for three months. ( I wasn't too bothered about it as already have Sky Sports.) But it seemed to be incompatible with virtually every application I run. Didn't work on Chrome, wouldn't work on the Now TV app on my Youview box (bizarre - only movies not entertainment), incompatible with Linux and wouldn't work on my tablet. That meant the only thing I could use it with was my Windows-based laptop and then only if I switch browser.

It works on Chromecast, PS4 and XBox, iPad, Laptop, Mobile or even... The NowTv box.

I know because at some time or another it's worked for me iusing each of those methods.

Sounds like a PICNIC issue, Problem In Chair Not In Computer.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

cafcfan said:

It works on Chromecast, PS4 and XBox, iPad, Laptop, Mobile or even... The NowTv box.

I know because at some time or another it's worked for me iusing each of those methods.

Sounds like a PICNIC issue, Problem In Chair Not In Computer.
    Now TV doesn't work on Chrome or some other browsers. I run it on Firefox.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

cafc-west said:

I have all 3, I would rate them as follows:

3. NowTV
    It's decent with a number of different shows - most of which are very good (Thrones, TWD etc) However it's £7.99 a month for those that includes a watch live option. Movies can be added for an additional £9.99 a month I believe and Sports day passes are also £6.99 A DAY. Not bad for one offs, but not cost effective for regular watching... Plus we're never on Sky so, it can work out quite cheap :lol:

2. Amazon Prime
    It's okay for movies, but all the newer movies are charged at £3.50 rental or £4.50 if you want HD. Luckily however I see this as an add-on to my delivery membership with amazon. You also get prime music which has a decent amount of free music and can be upgraded to Prime Unlimited for £7.99 a month. 1 Warning there's a lot of shit movies and shows on amazon... Vikings is one of the best.

1. Netflix
    This is the king because of the huge availability of series' and also the amount of fresh content, especially movies and tv shows that Netflix now deliver to us all.
    It does all you want in HD for £7.50 a month (i think) or UHD for £8.49 amonth (i think).

If I had to keep only one, it'd be Netflix as I can access all the same movies on PSN that I can rent on Amazon and NowTV is available whenever you need it for whichever pass you want to activate. (Easy to cancel and re-start). I'm not sure Amazon has a monthly option anymore.

All together I am currently paying about £22 a month which gets me all the movie and tv options I want as well as a decent music app and next day delivery from Amazon, that with a young baby is priceless.
    I have Netflix as I watch Narcos etc. However, how can you rate their movies as impressive? Unless Adam Sadler's your thing. Even their original films such as The Circle are really weak. Great cast; terrible film.
  • Options
    Agree with some of the stuff above - Amazon's interface isn't great (the XBox version is fucking terrible), and it's unlcear what you are paying for and what's on subscription. I don;t think they should mix it up the way they do.

Netflix has the best range of content, particularly TV, and their interface is way better than the other two. But Sky still hold the cards with the exclusives with movie studios. That said, the big studios are churning out some real shit at the moment, while Netflix have got E1 and Lionsgate, who are making far more interesting movies than Fox, Sony and Universal.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

SamB09 said:

Missed It said:

No, I pay more than that to Sky movies. I just find the micro-transaction business model irritating. I want to pay for a service and know what I'm getting, not finding a show I might like to watch then seeing I'd have to pay more for it.
    Those movies are in a different license window, so the only way they could possibly be available to you is pay per view (those movies are available for the same price across Amazon, Sky Store and Microsoft etc.).

It's basically the same window that Blockbuster Video used to own, with effectively the same business model (you pay a premium price for new movies on an individual basis for 2 days before you give it back).
  • Options
    Can only base my answer on usage. On Netflix everyday. Great package of tv shows. Ok on films. Amazon Prime will use one or twice a month. A number of their older films/ classics are of extremely poor quality. Not digitized from masters. Also sourced from non American regions. Tend to keep just for delivery options. Do not have NOW tv as I don't believe it's available in HD.
  • Options
    For me Netflix all day long