Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chislehurst School for Girls, Bromley - Ofsted report or lack thereof

edited October 2017 in Not Sports Related
Anyone else have children/Grandchildren there?

Comments

• Beeverwood?
  • My niece goes there mate and loves it. She has grown up about 20 years in 12 months lol
  • @Henry Irving Yes Beaverwood as it was once known, changed their name after a few issues that appeared in the local papers!! (Pepper spray 'incident' from memory)

@robroy

The school had an Ofsted inspection in May 17, nearly 5 months on still no report.......

I've been nagging Ofsted as to where it has got to and did get confirmation to say it had been issued to the school that day (last Tuesday). However despite regulations stating the school have to give a copy/make available to parents within 5 working days of receipt they have not done so and have refused to do so.

Having spoken to Ofsted again today I have a further letter coming to me once their legal department has checked it! The mind boggles...... but see below.

Today I've also heard (2nd hand, although the original source should be reliable as was someone who would have had access to the draft report) that the school have had lawyers involved since receiving the report last week to stop it's publication predominantly due to the fact they had open days from potential parents! You couldn't make it up..........

Additionally it sounds quite serious in that the report ALLEDGEDLY is not particularly glowing and highlights issues, namely around safeguarding, does it get any more serious than that if it is the case. I'm not 100% sure of the overall outcome, I assume it wasn't special measures as we'd know by now but seems unlikely it was either good or outstanding either or they'd happily produce it far and wide, my suspicion is therefore it is inadequate or whatever that Ofsted term is these days.

The school seem to be putting in a lot of time and expense to keep this under wraps for as long as possible simply so it doesn't effect their intake next year. No regard to current or future parents or pupils.

If even half of the above is true I find it disgusting that there is potentially major issues that parents should be informed of yet the school are employing every tactic and lawyer simply to protect themselves. And we moan about politicians being under hand.........
  • Thanks for the heads up Rob, I will let my sister know ASAP.

• No worries,

I still can't believe how underhand the school are being in all this, although actually my eldest is in year 13 so maybe I shouldn't be surprised after all this time!
  • @robroy

I've now had an official letter from Ofsted that confirms the report was issued to the school last Tuesday, however they have not yet published on their own website due to threat of legal action by the school. Great use of school funding, lets withhold the report until parents have completed their applications by the end of this month........

Anyone know any local reporters!?!
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for that. I will let my sister know, seems an incredible waste of money.
  • Their last published report was in 2013, I believe.

I have family members' children that go there and they've had numerous concerns for a couple of years.

Fortunately, for them, the concerns they've had haven't impacted their children or their ability to learn effectively at the school.
  • Their last published report was in 2013, I believe.

I have family members' children that go there and they've had numerous concerns for a couple of years.

Fortunately, for them, the concerns they've had haven't impacted their children or their ability to learn effectively at the school.

2013 yes, the last inspection however was in May 2017, please do make your family aware.
  • Wow, that sounds very expensive for the school either way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow, that sounds very expensive for the school either way.

As someone who has been in or around schools for 40 years (inc as a pupil, I'm not that old!) and chair of governors etc etc I've never heard anything like it. The school are spending huge amounts of time and money to suppress an inspection report (which clearly has thrown up some major issues) until after the poor year 6 parents have completed their admission forms for next year. 31st October then you've signed on the dotted line for your child's future.

They also seem quite happy to lie to me in writing.....

It's never happened before, and some will be glad, but I'm speechless.......
  • edited October 2017
    Rob7Lee said:

Wow, that sounds very expensive for the school either way.

As someone who has been in or around schools for 40 years (inc as a pupil, I'm not that old!) and chair of governors etc etc I've never heard anything like it. The school are spending huge amounts of time and money to suppress an inspection report (which clearly has thrown up some major issues) until after the poor year 6 parents have completed their admission forms for next year. 31st October then you've signed on the dotted line for your child's future.

You are making the assumption that OFSTED are always infallible in the accuracy and justification of their findings. Schools have always had the ability to stop publication (and rightly if they believe the report has failed to assess fairly and/or accurately) - and a recent High Court ruling actually overturned a report. If a report was to be published slamming the SMT and named teachers without any justification, careers are in jeopardy.

The OFSTED complaints procedure is not fit for purpose either.

I'm not saying this is anymore than the school trying to delay justifiable criticism but fear you may be too close to it to be objective.

P.S. I too was a Chair of Governors for many, many years.
  • bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

Wow, that sounds very expensive for the school either way.

You are making the assumption that OFSTED are always infallible in the accuracy and justification of their findings. Schools have always had the ability to stop publication (and rightly if they believe the report has failed to assess fairly and/or accurately) - and a recent High Court ruling actually overturned a report. If a report was to be published slamming the SMT and named teachers without any justification, careers are in jeopardy.

The OFSTED complaints procedure is not fit for purpose either.

I'm not saying this is anymore than the school trying to delay justifiable criticism but fear you may be too close to it to be objective.

P.S. I too was a Chair of Governors for many, many years.
    Agreed, however the inspection was in May and the school has i'm told already gone through the appeal process and legal arguments hence why it took 5 months for the final report to come out.

This latest legal part is solely to stop the report coming out before the admissions cut of date, I do not believe the content is any longer in question between the parties - this is what I'm told anyway.
  • So, what's the point of an OFSTED report then if it can be delayed, overturned & effectively dismissed by the school.
  • It's only right in this sort of matter that schools are able to challenge and appeal the content of a report, I think that's fair (and take @bobmunro point that the process may be crap).

However, I don't now believe the report is in dispute anyway (judging by the changes the school put in shortly after, especially around security there were clear issues) so how they are doing it I don't know, very expensive lawyers it would seem.

Ofsted are a bit weak here as well though, what legal threat can the school place on them to delay a report being issued (and again, I'm told that's what it is, delay, not it never being released or it's content being changed).
  • So, what's the point of an OFSTED report then if it can be delayed, overturned & effectively dismissed by the school.

It can only be overturned or dismissed by a court (or OFSTED accepting through an effective complaints procedure that it is wrong).

What's the point of an OFSTED report? A valid question, having lived through two OFSTED inspections not long after they were first introduced! But without being facetious - the point is to provide an accurate assessment of the delivery of teaching, added value, and effective leadership in a thorough, rigorous and TRUTHFUL way. If there are clearly proven inaccuracies for example then the school and its staff have every right to have them corrected before it hits the public domain.

Maxwellisation at its finest.
  • Something like 198 appeals against Ofsted outcomes last year made directly to Ofsted. Including one from the school I work at.

Number of appeals that were successful?

None.

Until one school took them to court and the Ofsted appeals system was found to be seriously flawed and not credible.

• For those with an interest a ‘Good’ inspection report has been today released by the school following an inspection in December and is available on their website.

The inspection from May 2017 (Inadequate) that the school legally foght to be withheld and/or overturned will be available on OFSTED’s website shortly.
  • Rob7Lee said:

For those with an interest a ‘Good’ inspection report has been today released by the school following an inspection in December and is available on their website.

The inspection from May 2017 (Inadequate) that the school legally foght to be withheld and/or overturned will be available on OFSTED’s website shortly.

Have they "corrected" the inadequacies ? (obviously you shouldn't bury a report until inadequacies sorted for a new report)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    I recall in my youth playing a football match against an Ofsted team and with a couple of teachers in my family and knowing a couple more, they as good as demanded we stuff the bas****ds. I think we won 1-0 or 2-0 which probably could not be classed as a stuffing.
  • The school I work at pays a retainer to a legal firm for the occasional stuff that comes up, so I wouldn't assume that this school has blown millions on a team of the nation's top legal minds.
  • Rob7Lee said:

For those with an interest a ‘Good’ inspection report has been today released by the school following an inspection in December and is available on their website.

Have they "corrected" the inadequacies ? (obviously you shouldn't bury a report until inadequacies sorted for a new report)
    Yes, they have according to the new report which in every area was good. The original report I believe was upheld hence being published shortly, in addition the new report talks of the improvements made since the last inspection so to me I don't think the school ever massively disagreed with the report if within 6 weeks of the original one lots of things were put in place to rectify the issues.
  • @Rob7Lee The way those reports read it seems like there were serious failings at the school and they have now largely been resolved. What then was the schools issue with the first report? Did they simply not like their failings being highlighted?
  • mart77 said:

@Rob7Lee The way those reports read it seems like there were serious failings at the school and they have now largely been resolved. What then was the schools issue with the first report? Did they simply not like their failings being highlighted?

It would seem that way yes as can't see any other reasons right now.
  • Rob7Lee said:

mart77 said:

@Rob7Lee The way those reports read it seems like there were serious failings at the school and they have now largely been resolved. What then was the schools issue with the first report? Did they simply not like their failings being highlighted?

It would seem that way yes as can't see any other reasons right now.
    Cheers Rob, interesting reading!
  • Only read the main points of both reports on page one, but it strikes me that it would be an idea if ofstead gave the school a few months to show improvement before publishing a damning report? This school has clearly taken on board the criticism and responded splendidly. A short-ish period of grace would eliminate a lot of appeals and save a lot of money. Or am I missing something?
  • Only read the main points of both reports on page one, but it strikes me that it would be an idea if ofstead gave the school a few months to show improvement before publishing a damning report? This school has clearly taken on board the criticism and responded splendidly. A short-ish period of grace would eliminate a lot of appeals and save a lot of money. Or am I missing something?

The 1st Inspection report was issued by OFSTED on the 26th September to the school, over 4 months after the inspection. However to date, 8 months after the inspection and over 4 months since they received the report, the school have still not released the May 2017 report although OFSTED have done so on the same day they released the December report (30th January) in the main due to a FOI request.

I agree with giving the school time (to at least have a plan in place) and the work they have done is excellent to rectify the vast majority of the issues or progressing towards, but strikes me as a little under hand to continue to withhold it for the time they have.

I'm no massive fan of OFSTED but they highlighted key issues on safeguarding and the safety of pupils and the school intentionally withheld that information from parents and in many respects continue to do so (you won't see May's report on their website or any mention of).
  • I see that, and take your point, but if the issues no longer apply, why highlight them? I have to say if I were in charge I would highlight them, because if I were the school I would be quite proud to show that I could react so quickly and learn from my mistakes (are you watching Roland... :wink: ). I would consider it a positive, as a prospective scholar's parent.

That they have taken less than three months to show such a marked improvement shows that it can be done, and therefore I still see no reason why that grace period cannot be applied in future to all other schools, and as I said, save taxpayers money?