Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has KR effectively confirmed that Ezri Konsa's out the door in January?

(clickbait link removed)

That first line is supposed to be a link, not sure if it's gonna work - URL should be fine tho.

"My argument is if we sell players it has to go back into the team to go forward," said Robinson. "Otherwise you are devaluing your own team... "Ademola went for more infrastructure reasons. Did I like that as a manager? No... But I think if Ezri Konsa goes, people have to be aware that we have to have an injection to make this team better... "My job is to get the best outcome possible. And we know what our targets are..."

He must have terrific faith that The President has changed his spots, or, to me that interview is KR's request for a P45.
I've no idea what sort of fee EK might command, or how much smaller the fee will be that Charlton's mad old owner will accept but based on 3.5 years of unmitigated fuckwittery there is no chance much of that fee will be reinvested.
Maybe KR's total lack of filter or discretion has just tripped him up. We'd all like to think that any sizable fees incoming would be used to replace the departee and bolster the numbers or quality of the squad (ideally both). But roly's record speaks for itself.
If injuries, suspensions, bad luck or poor form see the results decline, KR's chances of presiding over January's transfer window will be slim enough anyway. Will he be meeting or signing (m)any of ...our targets... we'll see...

I hope I'm proved wrong, but that's the thing with hope...

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like the transfers fee has already been spent!
  • Options
    Konsa was in good form against Fleetwood - can we improve the team if he goes ?
  • Options
    Flog him for 5m and bring in 2 decent players for the final push in January
  • Options
    agim said:

Flog him for 5m and bring in 2 decent players for the final push in January

or 3 half decent players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing that is for certain is that if we want top dollar for Konsa he has to be consistently playing (and playing consistently) in the first team.
  • Options

The way Robinson is talking, it does sound that a deal is already lined up for Konsa in January.

Obviously, Roland is rubbing his hands together in anticipation of the money, and anyway you can't really stand in the way of a talented ambitious young footballer - but surely publicising all this at this time is very unsettling for the lad and the squad?

And lets face it, everybody already knows that Robinson will be lucky to get any crumbs off the table to replace Konsa, let alone for team strengthening.

Step forward the next kid on the factory production line.
    You'd better be good, Moriarty is already counting your transfer fee.

• Options
    Heard via the jungle drums that he's off in the window

I'm gutted
  • Options
    Addickted said:

How about keeping him for a Championship campaign next season and buying a couple of more players in January for the push to get there.

That would seem a sensible policy to me.

I'm guessing here but I think perhaps something has already been put in place. I would love to keep Konsa but realistically if he has an offer from a Premier League club I would think Ezri for a number of reasons would want to leave. His England career is just taking off and we know of course that he will undoubtedly secure his future in terms of wages.

The key to any sale for Charlton Athletic is that a decent proportion of the money is used to strengthen the team to enable a concerted promotion push. We all know what we need. Certainly Ezri leaving would weaken us in one respect but could strengthen the squad overall if the money is used wisely.

Gone are the days where young talent can be kept by lower league clubs. The PL has far too much money to allow for that. He'll be an educated punt for a PL club.

Sad but true.

• Options
    As KR admitted in Dublin in October 2015 this is club policy to sell youngsters to the Premier League. Cannot believe anyone is shocked at the news
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm gutted

did the jungle drums state a destination?

• Options

Swisdom said:

I'm gutted

did the jungle drums state a destination?

No. I hope i'm wrong as i think hes got so much potential

• Options
    Plus ca change
  • Options
    Swallowed up in the Chelsea loan system perhaps...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

I think it's clear by now RD will use us a player farm to minimise or cover his losses as best he can. Of course KR will see some of the money, but it will be in the shape of a free transfer and some money to spend on wages

Let's not pretend RD has any ambition for this club other than if we get there through the cheapest means possible. It's now KM's project with a strict budget. It's hers to come up with utter wank like afternoon tea, play at being a CEO of a football club and if we're lucky get promoted

We aren't set up like a Brighton where they have a wealthy benefactor who also wants success and is a fan. We aren't a villa or a wolves with some Chinese investor who owns a football club because the current premier of their country is into football and it's a political purchase as much as it is business

We will have enough investment as is possible to assemble a decent first XI and sell young players on as and when they materialise. We might go up, we'll probably more than likely stay where we are

Nailed it.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

As KR admitted in Dublin in October 2015 this is club policy to sell youngsters to the Premier League. Cannot believe anyone is shocked at the news

I assume you mean KM. I guess the sale is normal enough. Given how little KR had in the summer (the entire window seemed like nothing more than a giant cost cutting exercise) I would like to see him given a big budget. Realistically he'll get some new shoes and some cough drops. But as he slated the january window in january, whose failt is that? All just sounds like KR has forgotten to put the hand brake on his mouth again when he ran into the chippy.
  • Options
    If Lookman went for 'infrastructure reasons' as opposed to covering losses, anybody know anything about the development and cost of such infrastructure since then?
  • Options
    I would say nothing is in place yet as id imagine that had a deal/price been agreed then RD wouldn't want his little gold nugget to get injured.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If Lookman went for 'infrastructure reasons' as opposed to covering losses, anybody know anything about the development and cost of such infrastructure since then?

They've dug another trench at the training ground and got rid of Slade's tablecloths for some rattan mats.
  • Options
    I know it goes with the territory of charlton showing absolutely no ambition and always flogging talent off ( pretty much too cheaply) but I wonder if we could flog our Ceo off instead for a change?
  • Options
    Seem to remember KM stating during their first full season that if we got to January and the club was challenging for promotion then RD would provide funds for a final push during the second half of the campaign.

Let's see if he is a man of his word if we are in the play offs or better come the next transfer window?

I think we all know what the answer is!
  • Options

Seem to remember KM stating during their first full season that if we got to January and the club was challenging for promotion then RD would provide funds for a final push during the second half of the campaign.

Let's see if he is a man of his word if we are in the play offs or better come the next transfer window?

I think we all know what the answer is!

8 inches?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Konsa was in good form against Fleetwood - can we improve the team if he goes ?

He's a good young player with pace and technical ability. Still a hit inconsistent but I think he was very good in his two starts this season. If he left, because he covers so many positions, I think we'd need to bring in at least two just to make of for his loss.

Would rather we kept him. Obviously a lot will depend on the next few weeks while Pearce is out but I think he's an excellent player at this level and playing regularly for us will be better for him than playing in the U23 Premier League.