Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My Neighbour Upstairs Pt2.

As I don't always think straight, I'd just like further opinion, please.

As you may remember, I live in a building that has 4 flats, mine being one of them on the 1st floor. My neighbour lives above me, she has no one above her. So probably isn't aware of noise issues, I don't believe that I make that much noise. The building has no sound proofing.

Her flat has wooden floors. She has a rowing machine on the floor, obviously. She uses it on a daily basis and so does her son and it makes a lot of noise.

She works from home, as do I. I'm inclined to think if she and her son used the rowing machine between say, 9am and 6pm then I'd feel I'd be more willing to tolerate it.

But she has been rowing this evening from 7.30pm-8.30 with short breaks and then briefly again at 9.30pm and as I said, it makes a lot of noise. She tends to use it in the evening and often around 9pm.

She is also very heavy walking across the floor, which she seems to do a heck of a lot, I only mention her weight because it probably is a factor but I'm not saying it as a criticism.

I'm inclined to think that what goes on, within reason, during the week days between normal working hours is something one has to grin and bear and perhaps the etiquette changes slightly for weekends.

I'm also inclined to think evenings are down, so any noise in the evening grates me more but that's just me.

I also posted a thread "How considerate are you?"

I realise we live in over populated areas and noise to some degree is inevitable but should one be considerate of neighbours or is it, when in my own home, Fuck everyone else?

What are your thoughts, would you be pissed off and say something, suggest to her to be more neighbourly and considerate, or just shrug and put up with it? Or am I just being a miserable old git?

Yes, I realise Old Git, is probably the bookies favourite at the moment!

Comments

• Options
    You can make a noise complaint to the council.

Was this the same one who refused to get up to let the pizza man in? She can't have it both ways, exercising loudly and being too lazy to get her takeaway?
  • Options
    What day does she put the bins out.
  • Options
    I think you may have a thing for this woman, ask for a go on her rowing machine and see where things lead.
  • Options
    This thread is just begging for @DaveMehmet
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

you thought about moving mate?

No guarantee it ain’t gonna be worse else where.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

You can make a noise complaint to the council.

Was this the same one who refused to get up to let the pizza man in? She can't have it both ways, exercising loudly and being too lazy to get her takeaway?

I might talk to the council, if it’s deemed I’m being rational, rather than irrational.

Yes, the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What day does she put the bins out.

Good thinking and lay a banana skin on the top step.
  • Options

Ben18 said:

you thought about moving mate?

No guarantee it ain’t gonna be worse else where.
    but at least you could buy a house or flat where theres noone above you.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

I think you may have a thing for this woman, ask for a go on her rowing machine and see where things lead.

I’ll send you a pic.
  • Options
    SM - im assuming you've asked her?
  • Options

SM - im assuming you've asked her?

I did propose but she turned me down.

Do you mean, have I asked her to be more considerate?

I’m waiting to find out from you lot if I’m being rational or irrational, as I don’t always trust my own reasoning?
  • Options
    not necessarily considerate, but do you realise the noise it makes?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Do you have a loud stereo? If not, get one.
  • Options
    Yes, everyone should be considerate & think of their neighbours and maybe you should just have a word with her & explain your concerns - she probably isn't aware of the noise she (may) be creating & if you showed her - ie, she goes into your flat whilst her son walks around above & uses the rowing machine to demonstrate the noise.

However. I also think that you (may) be over-reacting (see how I put both "may" in brackets). A couple of years ago I rented a flat & was twice told by my next door neighbour that I was causing a noise - once when my children came round & told that their "running around and jumping everywhere" had caused ornaments to fall from their shelves - and the other when I was told that environmental officers were called out at 2am as my snoring was keeping them awake. Both times I was told this by the letting agents & not by my neighbours. I apologised but I think, and still do, that they were over reacting as over the past 30 years I have lived in various terraced houses & flats and never, ever, been told that I was making a noise. btw - these neighbours were the same ones I could hear frequently effing & jeffing at each other at all hours.

Also, In your case I hardly think that 9.30pm is late to have noises coming from your neighbours - gone midnight may be a different story. My recently ex girlfriend always complained that she could hear her neighbour above her and whenever I went round there her tv would have the subtitles on. On asking why she said "I don't want to disturb my neighbours" - but I could never hear them. My point is everyone views noise differently - perhaps you just have a low tolerance level.
  • Options
    Go out more in the evenings.
  • Options
    Ask her how many strokes she can manage in... what, 3 or 4 mins shall we say?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, everyone should be considerate & think of their neighbours and maybe you should just have a word with her & explain your concerns - she probably isn't aware of the noise she (may) be creating & if you showed her - ie, she goes into your flat whilst her son walks around above & uses the rowing machine to demonstrate the noise.

However. I also think that you (may) be over-reacting (see how I put both "may" in brackets). A couple of years ago I rented a flat & was twice told by my next door neighbour that I was causing a noise - once when my children came round & told that their "running around and jumping everywhere" had caused ornaments to fall from their shelves - and the other when I was told that environmental officers were called out at 2am as my snoring was keeping them awake. Both times I was told this by the letting agents & not by my neighbours. I apologised but I think, and still do, that they were over reacting as over the past 30 years I have lived in various terraced houses & flats and never, ever, been told that I was making a noise. btw - these neighbours were the same ones I could hear frequently effing & jeffing at each other at all hours.

Also, In your case I hardly think that 9.30pm is late to have noises coming from your neighbours - gone midnight may be a different story. My recently ex girlfriend always complained that she could hear her neighbour above her and whenever I went round there her tv would have the subtitles on. On asking why she said "I don't want to disturb my neighbours" - but I could never hear them. My point is everyone views noise differently - perhaps you just have a low tolerance level.

You may be right and why I’m gauging opinion, rather than storming upstairs and breaking her door down.
  • Options

Go out more in the evenings.

I’d have to be out all 7, Floyd.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Per me ticket check the lease rather than tenancy agreement (if rented) or both. Not sure about older flats but most built in the last 2 or 3 decades ban wooden flooring. Contact your managing agent if no joy there.
  • Options
    How did people moan about their problems before the Internet?
  • Options
    You're a strange one Martin
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

How did people moan about their problems before the Internet?

In the pub. We are indirectly responsible for the decline of pub culture.
  • Options

You may be right and why I’m gauging opinion, rather than storming upstairs and breaking her door down.
    Breaking the door down would be a bit noisy mate.
    Think of the neighbours.