Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The move to catford

Just a quick question, when we did the ill fated move to the mount, did we dismantle the what was a brand new west stand and relocate it in catford. Then bring it back again? Daft question as I'm 99.9999% certain its bollocks but someone on FB reckons thats what happened lol

Comments

• Options
    No the stand remained at The Valley and why the decision was made after a few months to move back
  • Options
    The ground at The Mount Catford was so inadequate that while Charlton played there they still played an FA Cup match back at The Valley due to the lack of seats at Catford.
  • Options
    The bloke has read that moving the stand to catford was proposed and thinks it actually went ahead.
  • Options
    There's a 2 part post about Catford South End and Charlton on the 'running past' blog - part 1 here (link to 2 at the bottom of the page) - may be of interest
  • Options
    Where on Facebook was this?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    The Mount was/is in Mountsfield Park.......one interesting thing is that Johnny Summers lived nearby and walked his whippet Kim in there every day.
    No, the stand was never erected there......the stand by the way, was purchased second hand from Aldershot.
  • Options

Where on Facebook was this?

It's the Charlton unofficial and uncensored group. See the posts and replies by Bob ulph and Lee sweetapple. Rick Everitt gave a good explanation
  • Options

The Mount was/is in Mountsfield Park.......one interesting thing is that Johnny Summers lived nearby and walked his whippet Kim in there every day.
    No, the stand was never erected there......the stand by the way, was purchased second hand from Aldershot.

the original west stand with its distinctive roof was a brand spanking new build and not a second hand jobby off aldershot. Humphries built it I think in 1922 for 20k
  • Options
    edited October 2017

the original west stand with its distinctive roof was a brand spanking new build and not a second hand jobby off aldershot. Humphries built it I think in 1922 for 20k
    Mmmmmm.......maybe it was the Covered End Stand then?
    I’m interested to know.
  • Options
    There was some story i recall vaguely that our turnstiles were second hand from an amateur club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mmmmmm.......maybe it was the Covered End Stand then?
    Again I do not think so, I'm fairly sure that came about 10 years later and was also a new build.

Without looking back at FB, I think Rick everitt said we had a second hand stand, possibly from aldershot, but before the west as we knew it was built
  • Options
    Neither stand came from Aldershot. Both were new.

As a bit of a ground spotting nerd, what has always surprised me is the lack of any photographs of The Mount "in action"
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I’m almost certain that Aldershot supplied a stand that we purchased from them and was in use at some point at The Valley......possibly pre 1920?
    Can someone confirm?
  • Options
    I heard the Aldershot story years ago, although it doesn't crop up in the various books (Richard Redden, Airman etc).

I think we had trouble paying off the West stand and may have ended up dissolving the company sometime in the 20's as a result - ahead of our time again.
  • Options
    YES......thanks for that William I know there’s some substance in this story and Aldershot are in the mix.
    I’ve contacted The Shots and asked them if they have any knowledge of this. They are very kindly going to delve into it.
  • Options

I’m almost certain that Aldershot supplied a stand that we purchased from them and was in use at some point at The Valley......possibly pre 1920?
    Can someone confirm?

was it the floodlights rather than the stand ?
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Can someone confirm?

was it the floodlights rather than the stand ?
    No......though something in my mind also tells me that our floodlights were second hand or was it that we sold them to someone else?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we sold the floodlights to Dunstable
  • Options

I think we sold the floodlights to Dunstable

Biggleswade Town
  • Options
    I was close
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    This stand story is as old as the hills - well, my 84-year-old dad told it to me when I was a kid anyway.

I think it's the "temporary wooden and canvass" stand to seat 3-400 supplied by Humphreys for the opening league matches, which may have been previously used for the Aldershot Military Tattoo. Neither the main stand (opened February 1922) nor the 1934 Covered End came from anywhere else.
  • Options
    Richard Redden reckoned that he'd never found a photograph of Charlton playing at The Mount despite years of searching - if there is one out there it could be the Addick Holy Grail.
  • Options

This stand story is as old as the hills - well, my 84-year-old dad told it to me when I was a kid anyway.

I think it's the "temporary wooden and canvass" stand to seat 3-400 supplied by Humphreys for the opening league matches, which may have been previously used for the Aldershot Military Tattoo. Neither the main stand (opened February 1922) nor the 1934 Covered End came from anywhere else.

Ok.....so we did in fact have a stand that came from Aldershot, though it was temporary and not from Aldershot Town FC.
    Interesting and thanks for the info Airman.
  • Options

Ok.....so we did in fact have a stand that came from Aldershot, though it was temporary and not from Aldershot Town FC.
    Interesting and thanks for the info Airman.
    talking of canvas my late dad worked for a company called john edgington (big marquee/canvas supplier/tent erecting business from c1947-late 60s) ...our own Johnny Summers worked with them quite a bit on a casual basis in the off season

• Options
    incidentally SoundASA£ i know you are a catford man ,the running past blog/site is very interesting