Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Auschwitz - Anyone visited?

Was in Krakow last Friday to Sunday and visited Auschwitz on the Saturday.

One of the most humbling and moving experiences of my life.

I actually couldn't stay in the one remaining intact gas chamber and had to get out as it was a bit too much.

Found the loading ramp at Birkenau very unsettling as well. The thought of all those life a death snap decisions was pretty overwhelming.

Our guide was amazing and clearly had a personal connection.

Interested to hear from others who have been and how they felt about the experience.

Comments

• Options
    Don't think it is something I would ever want to visit.
    Bit like the recent Vegas incident.
    Would you want to visit that apartment?
    Not having a dig, but not for me.
    Would rather they flatten everything related to it to be honest.
  • Options

Don't think it is something I would ever want to visit.
    Bit like the recent Vegas incident.
    Would you want to visit that apartment?
    Not having a dig, but not for me.
    Would rather they flatten everything related to it to be honest.

It was the survivors who were liberated who insisted on it being preserved. It opened to visitors in 1947 and initially all of the guides were survivors.

A lot of Auschwitz 2 (Birkenhau) has been flattened.

Actually couldn't believe how many visitors it gets . 2m last year!
  • Options
    Very moving. Despite there being lots of visitors the atmosphere is entirely appropriate throughout and most people (to me) all appeared to be in thoughtful contemplation. I'd almost be inclined to say it should be a compulsory place to go at some point in your travels.
  • Options
    Horrendous. I did Dachau too and they were both horrific ; at the same time, glad I went . I do think it's important they are maintained
  • Options

Very moving. Despite there being lots of visitors the atmosphere is entirely appropriate throughout and most people (to me) all appeared to be in thoughtful contemplation. I'd almost be inclined to say it should be a compulsory place to go at some point in your travels.

Thought the same. It was very busy while we were there, but it never felt like anyone was anything other than respectful of where they were - everyone except the Greek couple who actually strolled round with a fucking selfie stick! One of the guides had very stern words with them.
  • Options

Thought the same. It was very busy while we were there, but it never felt like anyone was anything other than respectful of where they were - everyone except the Greek couple who actually strolled round with a fucking selfie stick! One of the guides had very stern words with them.
    We took some photos there but not in certain areas. One Japanese couple were having their picture taken by the execution wall whilst doing that stupid v sign thing with their fingers. They got a bollocking too and some of the other visitors had a go at them as well.
  • Options
    As Andy Townsend would say, not for me Clive.

I skip reading upsetting stuff in the paper, let alone visiting concentration camps. Reckon that would,properly mess me up.
  • Options
    On my list of places to go.

I also think it should be preserved as a memorial and a reminder of the inhumanities of man.

Not at all on the same scale but while in Budapest earlier in the year, went to the “House of Terror” another stark reminder of how cruel man can be to his own kind.
  • Options

We took some photos there but not in certain areas. One Japanese couple were having their picture taken by the execution wall whilst doing that stupid v sign thing with their fingers. They got a bollocking too and some of the other visitors had a go at them as well.
    There are a number of areas where they actually say photos are not allowed. House 11 (next to the death wall) is one of them.

I actually only took one photo and that was of the sign above the gate "Work Sets You Free" - I felt properly weird doing that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

On my list of places to go.

I also think it should be preserved as a memorial and a reminder of the inhumanities of man.

Not at all on the same scale but while in Budapest earlier in the year, went to the “House of Terror” another stark reminder of how cruel man can be to his own kind.

We've been there too. As you say, there's been some nasty bastards throughout the years. The massive wall of photos of people killed there brings it home a bit.
  • Options
    I've been a few times, a good family friend long since passed was a survivor, horrendous stories and lumpy throat time and I don't mind admitting i've never got out with dry eyes. Schools in the UK often do a trip if you are studying history, I was reluctant in some respects to let my daughter go (think she was 14 at the time) but on balance I did agree and i'm glad I did.

RIP to the believed 1.5m who were so cruelly murdered there.
  • Options
    I went to Auschwitz and Birkenau in 2013 and found it profoundly moving. Upsetting, of course, but also uplifting that a people can rise above their persecution. As my friend and I were walking back towards the entrance to Birkenau, passing close to the infamous ramp, a group of people in their late teens or twenties came walking along the railway track. They were jews, carrying proudly their Star of David flag. It reduced us to silence and tears.

I don't think anyone could go without being affected, but I couldn't go to Krakow and not go to pay my most humble respects. It is both a museum and a memorial, serving to keep alive the memories of those who suffered at the hands of the Nazis.
  • Options
    I went on my own a few years ago. Ended up in tour group with a priest. When we had a few moments afterwards I asked him if his faith helped him to 'understand' (wrong word) this place. To my amazement he found good in all things - even this. I think a little like you were saying @Davo55

One thing bothered me as we walked silently around. There was a group of Germans who weren't silent and were pushing in queues etc. I fully realise it's nothing to do with their generation- but of all the places where the best thing would be to wind your neck in.....
  • Options

I went back in 1993, when hardly anybody in the UK had even been to Poland let alone Auschwitz.

Not that I'd really intended to. I was travelling, stopping over in Krakov for a few days, really interesting place and the only major town in Poland that the Nazis hadn't raised to the ground, as they were using it for their Poland HQ. Got chatting there to someone who'd been the day before and despite my misgivings, decided that this was an opportunity to educate myself.

Next day took a short train ride to Oswiecim and not too far to walk along the road to Auschwitz.
    Walking through the famous iron gates with it's ironic sign above, "Arbeit Macht Frei" ( Work makes free), I felt the hairs rise on the back of my neck.

I'll leave others to describe it if they wish - suffice to say it was the most sobering experience of my life; and made me understand the cruelty and suffering that man is capable of causing his fellow man, and the endurance and sheer tenacity of how some people managed to survive against all the odds. Most didn't.

I owed it to myself to go.
    Once was enough, I shall never return.

If you get the chance, go.

• Options
    Going next month.
  • Options
    My wife surprised me a month or two back and told me we were going to Krakow just before Christmas for the markets. Sounds great I says. Btw she says...I've booked up for the Auschwitz tour for the Sunday. Gulp...

I have visited holocaust museums/memorials in Washington and elsewhere and indeed Oradour as mentioned so I am sure that I can handle the experience but they're not easy visits to say the least. I just feel that we are obligated to never forget the dreadful suffering endured by others and to learn more about this.
  • Options
    I've been twice and am taking the family next month. Unbelievably bleak experience. The strangest thing is that it doesn't so much affect you while you're there, but more when you lie awake at night in a state of bewilderment that this actually really happened.
  • Options
    Never forget, never again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching Ruby Wax on 'Who do you think you are'. No words.
  • Options

I'd almost be inclined to say it should be a compulsory place to go at some point in your travels.

I've thought this since I visited

the bit I always remember that really made the reality hit home for me about how many people were killed is the room full of artificial limbs

• Options

Watching Ruby Wax on 'Who do you think you are'. No words.

Same
  • Options
    I went to krakow last year and wanted to make the visit. Unfortunately my trip to Krakow was badly time with the he World day in which 100 of thousands Christians descended for a week’s celebration and a visit from the pope. This meant I could not do the tour or get into the castle or Schindler’s factory due to the hoards of Christians with their flag waving and singing.
    ...I will Return as Krakow seemed a nice place to visit and the people are friendly too.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I went to krakow last year and wanted to make the visit. Unfortunately my trip to Krakow was badly time with the he World day in which 100 of thousands Christians descended for a week’s celebration and a visit from the pope. This meant I could not do the tour or get into the castle or Schindler’s factory due to the hoards of Christians with their flag waving and singing.
    ...I will Return as Krakow seemed a nice place to visit and the people are friendly too.

Yes they are Christians but Catholics of course.
  • Options

Solidgone said:

Yes they are Christians but Catholics of course.

I’m not sure what your point is?

• Options
    Haven't been but have read this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holocaust-Martin-Gilbert/dp/0006371949

Truly horrific, and essential reading.
  • Options
    The holocaust museum in Hiroshima is similarly moving (Donald go visit)
  • Options

Sorry to jump onto your thread Clem, but if anyone is in the Limoges (Dept. Haute-Vienne) area of France, Oradour sur Glane is worth a visit if you are interested (in the same way you might be interested in visiting Auschwitz).

Link

Been to many Ww1 and WW2 battlefields and places of interest
    Oradour sur Glane is on my list as is Auschwitz, hopefully next year although I'm booking up a dig in Latvia in spring, so it may get pushed back.
    For those who can't go, visit the imperial war museum, their Holicaust exhibition is excellent and leaves you very humble and reflective.
    Everyone should visit these places, history shapes our future.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Horrendous. I did Dachau too and they were both horrific ; at the same time, glad I went . I do think it's important they are maintained

Same for me, but substitute Dachau for Cambodia killing Fields. I don't deliberately go for grief tourism, and absolutely hate it. Just feel like I need to see it with my own eyes. It was the room with the shoes that tipped me over.