Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

WhatsApp....is it no longer free?

Just received an e.mail, purportedly from WhatsApp, saying my year free trial has ended and I need to click on link in order to pay to continue using the service. Is this a scam? Anyone else pay for using WhatsApp?

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a scam to me, I've had it well over a year and heard nothing.
  • Options
    Scam - do not click link.
  • Options
    It's bull
  • Options
    Yeah definitely a scam, although there have been rumoured charges it's still free at the minute
  • Options
    Definitely a scam. I can forward you the correct back details though...
  • Options
    It was from alexeigorgarov@Skamustupidprik.ru
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Def not a scam, if you give me your credit card details, I’ll verify your account and send you a discount code for another year free
  • Options
    It's a scam, I'm sure they announced a while back that it's now free indefinitely. I think they used to charge after the 1st year but done away with it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Defo free
  • Options
    Sounds like a phishing email. Ignore and delete.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    If WhatsApp ever charged a subscription fee, they'd lose 90% of their users overnight.

No, they just make money by selling your data instead. :-)
  • Options

Just received an e.mail, purportedly from WhatsApp, saying my year free trial has ended and I need to click on link in order to pay to continue using the service. Is this a scam? Anyone else pay for using WhatsApp?

Was it from the Head of State Bank of Nigeria?
  • Options

If WhatsApp ever charged a subscription fee, they'd lose 90% of their users overnight.

Yeah What'sApp has never been free, we're just paying for it differently.
  • Options
    I got the same email today. Usually my hotmail is quite good at keeping them in the junk. Always with any of these, inland revenue, PayPal etc just click on the email address and you'll see as someone highlighted above cjfiigkgkoififi@hxhxufudud.com or some nonsense
  • Options
  • Options
    i paid 79p for a download about 2 years ago.
  • Options
    I had it before you pay, then at one point had to pay to renew. It might be a scam this one but wasnt then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

WhatsApp messages are encrypted by default. So no one can access your messages, not even whatsapp.
  • Options

WhatsApp messages are encrypted by default. So no one can access your messages, not even whatsapp.
    I know for a fact this isn't true, someone here in KM got in bother for something they'd said over WhatsApp, whilst using a VPN.
  • Options

I know for a fact this isn't true, someone here in KM got in bother for something they'd said over WhatsApp, whilst using a VPN.
    Well, I know for a fact it is. The person you're talking about probably messaged something in a group chat that some one grassed up, put on twitter etc.

You probably haven't been reading any uk news and amber Rudd going mental over whatsapp encryption when she doesn't understand what encryption actually is.
  • Options

Well, I know for a fact it is. The person you're talking about probably messaged something in a group chat that some one grassed up, put on twitter etc.

You probably haven't been reading any uk news and amber Rudd going mental over whatsapp encryption when she doesn't understand what encryption actually is.
    Nope wasn't a group chat and there's no twitter in China, he was pulled into the police station and presented with the messages he'd sent.

It caused a big stir here as plenty of people had been using whatsapp to discuss certain purchases.
  • Options
    Whatsapp also totally stops working from time to time here, like many other western communication tools.
  • Options
    It's double-end encrypted though, something which our woefully inept Home Secretary wants to ban because it is impossible for the security services to crack messages sent from accounts they are trying to monitor.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I doubt that your average Chinese copper is able to crack it but MI5 cannot?
  • Options
    The Chinese know all sorts of things about bugging phones and computers so it wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    I don't think it was an 'average' Chinese copper, he was deported and can never come back. The Chinese take certain things VERY seriously, internet chatter being one of them.

Now, he could be lying about what happened, I can't imagine why he would, but he's certainly been kicked out the country.

I wouldn't find it so hard to believe that tech wise China are miles ahead of the UK, they certainly have the resources!

Is it not possible the security services want people to think it's impossible, so they use whatsapp, making it easier to monitor certain people, or am I giving the UK government far too much credit?
  • Options

I don't think it was an 'average' Chinese copper, he was deported and can never come back. The Chinese take certain things VERY seriously, internet chatter being one of them.

Now, he could be lying about what happened, I can't imagine why he would, but he's certainly been kicked out the country.

I wouldn't find it so hard to believe that tech wise China are miles ahead of the UK, they certainly have the resources!

Is it not possible the security services want people to think it's impossible, so they use whatsapp, making it easier to monitor certain people, or am I giving the UK government far too much credit?

I think if his encrypted whatsapp messages were cracked he was probably deeply of interest to the Chinese authorities anyway. Maybe just being a foreigner/westerner is enough for that level of suspicion, but it's ridiculously inefficient to try and crack encrypted messages of everyone and data hoard like they're trying to do at gchq.

But I know 100% for a fact whatsapp is encrypted.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I got an email from someone called Caggles telling me my Charlton Life free trial had expired and I needed to wire money to bigrob@modsforhire.fr in order to carry on posting.

I'll probably just let it lapse. Laters folks.

Balance still unpaid and you're already on a very fuckin tight tight rope sunbeam!