Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England vs Slovenia & Lithuania

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Only thing Kane really has left to prove is that he can also score goals in August.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Captain Kane.

Jeez, I remember when he scored deflected free-kick against Villa to get him up and running and then Poch dropped Soldado next game.
    Seems like a world away now.

Kane's rise has been pretty special. I don't think anyone really picked him out a potential superstar when he was a youngster, but here is now one of the best in his position in Europe. Just goes to show, you should never totally write a player off, and fair play to Spurs they do seem to give their kids longer to develop than a lot of teams.
    I remember seeing him at youth levels for England in thoroughly underwhelming teams. He and Ross Barkley were usually picked as the "ones to watch," but Kane never really looked like anything particularly special. I think I still have that bias about him, an attitude of "meh, he's good but..." which is pretty much impossible to justify at this point.

It's an interesting comparison with Barkley. Barkley always looked naturally very gifted, but the big problem with him was always "what does he do with that talent." I want to say 3-4 years on he still really has that problem.
    The great thing about Kane is that he's not an absolute natural but he's turned
    Himself into a cracking striker. His shooting technique is exceptional
  • Options

Only thing Kane really has left to prove is that he can also score goals in August.

He never seems to score in May either
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

SDAddick said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Captain Kane.

Jeez, I remember when he scored deflected free-kick against Villa to get him up and running and then Poch dropped Soldado next game.

Kane's rise has been pretty special. I don't think anyone really picked him out a potential superstar when he was a youngster, but here is now one of the best in his position in Europe. Just goes to show, you should never totally write a player off, and fair play to Spurs they do seem to give their kids longer to develop than a lot of teams.
    I remember seeing him at youth levels for England in thoroughly underwhelming teams. He and Ross Barkley were usually picked as the "ones to watch," but Kane never really looked like anything particularly special. I think I still have that bias about him, an attitude of "meh, he's good but..." which is pretty much impossible to justify at this point.

It's an interesting comparison with Barkley. Barkley always looked naturally very gifted, but the big problem with him was always "what does he do with that talent." I want to say 3-4 years on he still really has that problem.
    The great thing about Kane is that he's not an absolute natural but he's turned
    Himself into a cracking striker. His shooting technique is exceptional
    I've got no recollection of him being special during his loan spells at Millwall and elsewhere, he's really matured in the last few years.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Forgot this wasn't a Charlton thread and got confused there

Ditto. Thought "I know absence makes the heart grow fonder but fuck me we've gone way over the top with our revisionist history of Nicky Ajose."
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Captain Kane.

Great player. Won't be long before a big club snap him up.
    I don't think they will snap him up, I think they will have to pay a fortune.

My guess is over £300mil.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Wembley Stadium station will be open tomorrow? I have heard that they are keeping it closed even though the strike is off?
  • Options
    When is the game?
  • Options
    Here is the answer to my own question (it is indeed closed):

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/15574901.Heading_to_Wembley_for_the_England_game__Don_t_take_the_train/

That will make getting back a bundle of fun
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laddick01 said:

Its a shame that at the time we have arguably the best finisher in world football that theres a total lack of any creativity anywhere in out set up.

I don't agree he's the best finisher, but he's clearly excellent.

More importantly, I think England have some decent attacking players, they're largely young and erratic, or in the case of Lallana injured, or the Ox struggling from years of a lack of regular football. You have Alli (21), Sterling (22)--and I know it's fashionable to think Sterling is rubbish but he isn't, he's an excellent player playing week-in week-out for a Pep Guardiola side scoring goals and creating chances, Rashford (19). Plus you have Kyle Walker who desperately needs space to run in to as we saw at the Euros, and Danny Rose, who has a good delivery, who is injured.

In central midfield I would agree they lack creativity, although Henderson has some moments of looking like he can really pick a clever pass to unlock defenses, he has just as many, if not more moments where he looks "eh...not quite" at everything he does. I think Dier is really maturing into a good defensive midfielder who takes care of the ball really well, and therefore will likely be under-appreciated. And Livermore is functional.

Hopefully the young group of talented attacking/creative players coming through (Winks, Maitland-Niles, Onomah, Fodden, Sancho, Davis, Dowell, Lookie, Cook, Loftus-Cheek, Lewis Baker, Ojo, Solanke, Gray, Izzy Brown, Kasey Palmer, Roberts) all develop as players and reach the heights of their potential. If they do, Harry Kane will have a good supply line in years to come.
  • Options
    England prospects...It will all end in tears :0)
  • Options
    I love the optimism of so called England fans - why dont they just take their negativity somewhere else.
    Its called pride. If you dont have it , then just feck off, and take your negative comments with you.
  • Options
    The midfield is a problem I agree. Not a fan of playing the two holding midfielders, especially as they are both distinctly average. Albeit Dier has more potential. Don't forget we still have Lallana to come back, very creative player, as well as dare I say it, jack wilshere...who if and it is a massive if, can get himself a spot in the Arsenal team and maintain his fitness while performing to the level we know he can play at from now until the summer, I think would warrant a place at very least in the squad.

• Options
    For me, Adam Lallana is our most talented player. Shame he can't stay injury free.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Cant believe that Harry Winks has been called up to the England squad... Barely gets a game for Spurs!!

Fraid it looks like we've returned to big club mentality when selecting players

Have you actually watched him play?

The boy is going to be a star. Was very good in his 33 appearances last season until an ankle ligament injury brought his season to an early finish and has been very good since making his comeback. He was the best player on the pitch apart from Kane last weekend. The boy deserves his chance.

He's reminds me very much of Modric. Always plays with his head up. Always got time on the ball, great range of passing with both feet, great engine and keeps the ball ticking over nicely. He's a very tidy player. Plenty of experience playing alongside Dier. I'd be confident going into any game with him playing alongside one of Dier, Wanyama or Dembele.

Whether he gets a chance at Spurs is another matter. Hopefully Poch sees him as the long term replacement for Dembele but time will tell.

Would pick him ahead of Henderson and Delph any day of the week.

Lets be honest, everyone wrote off Kane as a one season wonder.
    Talented player he may be, but the fact is he's started less than 10 premier league games and has only played 122 minutes of Premier League football so far this season. He should be nowhere near the senior side yet and it's a sad reflection of the state of our midfield right now, that he is.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Cant believe that Harry Winks has been called up to the England squad... Barely gets a game for Spurs!!

The boy is going to be a star. Was very good in his 33 appearances last season until an ankle ligament injury brought his season to an early finish and has been very good since making his comeback. He was the best player on the pitch apart from Kane last weekend. The boy deserves his chance.

He's reminds me very much of Modric. Always plays with his head up. Always got time on the ball, great range of passing with both feet, great engine and keeps the ball ticking over nicely. He's a very tidy player. Plenty of experience playing alongside Dier. I'd be confident going into any game with him playing alongside one of Dier, Wanyama or Dembele.

Whether he gets a chance at Spurs is another matter. Hopefully Poch sees him as the long term replacement for Dembele but time will tell.

Talented player he may be, but the fact is he's started less than 10 premier league games and has only played 122 minutes of Premier League football so far this season. He should be nowhere near the senior side yet and it's a sad reflection of the state of our midfield right now, that he is.
    Totally agree with you but I would prefer Harry Winks be added to the squad than reverting back to someone like Ashley Young.
  • Options
    could potentially have 2 spares for tonight if anyone wants them either meet in earls court for 5ish or will be outside wembley from 6-6.15.

fv was £20 a ticket but someone can have them for a donation to upbeats/charlton musuem.

will confirm availability once i know.
  • Options
    i still think our best attacking line up we've had for a long time was welbeck and carroll up front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am going to this. Looking forward to it. Only my second ever England game and my first competitive match. The other was the Portugal friendly prior to the Euro's
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I love the optimism of so called England fans - why dont they just take their negativity somewhere else.
    Its called pride. If you dont have it , then just feck off, and take your negative comments with you.

Hold up - you didn't even know there was an England game on 24 hours ago !

when is it Moo Too ?

Whats that got to do with having pride for your country and wanting them to do well?.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Reminds me of a certain Scotty Parker, i think he is class and will only get better. Good choice imo weak team overall though, Kane captain is a funny one John boy? is he vice-captain at spurs? i can ask my spurs mate but as we are on the subject here.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Reminds me of a certain Scotty Parker, i think he is class and will only get better. Good choice imo weak team overall though, Kane captain is a funny one John boy? is he vice-captain at spurs? i can ask my spurs mate but as we are on the subject here.
    He has captained the side at times but only when Hugo Lloris and Jan Vertonghen have been out injured or suspended.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    The problem is that we are good enough to qualify but that lack of creativity is cruelly exposed when we play better teams! If we can find a couple the future would be exciting as you need the athletic, strong pacy players too. I think the issue is that clubs produce these and buy the creativity from abroad. There needs to be an incentive to develop creative players.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

But he's young and talented and England have two competitive games, the second of which could be a dead rubber. Why not bring him in to the team now? He looks like a player who could play for England for a decade I don't see the problem with easing him in.

To me having Livermore as a regular in the squad is a far bigger problem and indicative of the lack of options.
  • Options
    And we're off, some live football to debate at last, c'mon England!
  • Options
    NI 0 Germany1
  • Options
    Rashford is looking lively.

Still a poor man's Fosu though.
  • Options

Rashford is looking lively.

Still a poor man's Fosu though.

He's some talent poor corners from him though.