Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums (Featuring The Stone Roses and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band)

13»

Comments

• Options

Cant believe we're comparing The Stone Roses with The Beatles.

Peppers.

We aren’t. We’re comparing two albums.
    Two albums picked at random out of the 16 most popular listed on CL
  • Options

Peppers.

@Henry Irving
    I’m not getting the point you’re making.
  • Options

Peppers.

@Henry Irving
    I’m not getting the point you’re making.
    I'm saying it wasn't a deliberate match as someone said early or a comparison of the bands, just a random choice of two albums to contrast.
  • Options
    This one was pretty close, but Sgt. Pepper wins it 26 - 21.

The Stone Roses received more votes than any other album on the initial count.

There is one more match up in this round (Hopefully posted tomorrow).

Thanks for your votes and contributions!
  • Options
    Dammit! Missed this...would have chalked up another for The Stone Roses. A simply stunning album, packed out with some of my best-loved music.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Dammit! Missed this...would have chalked up another for The Stone Roses. A simply stunning album, packed out with some of my best-loved music.

Sorry. I bumped it once, but might do so more in the future.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    You know what, I liked the Stone Roses album back in the day, but to me it sounds dated now (very much trapped in its time). And I guess that's fine if it brings back great memories. It doesn't for me as it came out at a lifetime low point.

I wasn't crazy about Peppers when it came out (I was only 9 mind you), and only got into it in the 90s really. To me it sounds oddly ageless. And listening now, it's on a different level, musically, technically etc to the Stone Roses. Some of the songs I've never liked, but the ones I do are exceptional.
    If you had to pick one of the albums to put in a rocket and send to aliens in a different galaxy to say, 'listen to this, this is what we can do!' it's Peppers every time.
  • Options
    Only just seen this. I love both these records. Both absolute jems, pop crafted master pieces.
    I'd have gone for the Roses, this album inspired me to learn guitar.
  • Options

Peppers.

EDIT.: Cant believe we're comparing The Stone Roses ' The Stone Roses' (no 498 on Rolling Stone's top 500 of all time) with The Beatles 'Sergeant Pepper (no 1 on Rolling Stone's top 500 albums of all time) - with the RS commenting -'. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is the most important rock & roll album ever made'.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531/the-beach-boys-pet-sounds-20120524
    Don't forget Rolling Stone is an American magazine and The Stone Roses are a very British sounding act. I just checked and the highest US chart position for this album was 86!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Peppers.

EDIT.: Cant believe we're comparing The Stone Roses ' The Stone Roses' (no 498 on Rolling Stone's top 500 of all time) with The Beatles 'Sergeant Pepper (no 1 on Rolling Stone's top 500 albums of all time) - with the RS commenting -'. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is the most important rock & roll album ever made'.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531/the-beach-boys-pet-sounds-20120524
    Don't forget Rolling Stone is an American magazine and The Stone Roses are a very British sounding act. I just checked and the highest US chart position for this album was 86!
    A very good point indeed. The American reviews I read were less than favourable.
  • Options

Peppers.

Er, where were the Beatles from? They sounded quite 'British' I think.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Peppers.

Er, where were the Beatles from? They sounded quite 'British' I think.
    By the time Pepper was released The Beatles were established globally as the biggest band in history - The Stone Roses was a debut album! I'm not sure it's anything to do with being British.

That said, I concur with Rolling Stone!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    There were plenty of British artists in the top 100 of the list - I seem to remember Never mind the Bollocks being in the top 50 - and you probably couldn't get much more British than that.
    EDIT just checked, and Bollocks was no 41.
  • Options

There were plenty of British artists in the top 100 of the list - I seem to remember Never mind the Bollocks being in the top 50 - and you probably couldn't get much more British than that.

and Bollocks is a pish record.
  • Options

Peppers.

I voted for Pepper here but using this as 'proof' it's better is both wrong and elitist. Instead of saying ROLLING STONE SAID SO, just cite your own opinion on the music!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Leuth said:

Peppers.

I voted for Pepper here but using this as 'proof' it's better is both wrong and elitist. Instead of saying ROLLING STONE SAID SO, just cite your own opinion on the music!
    I already have .
    I was simply retorting AddickAddicts point about it being a album v album comparison as opposed to my original comment of how can you compare The Stone Roses v The Beatles.
    Clearly the Worlds best known music rag, has it 497 places better !
  • Options
    A travesty.

Amongst other numerous infractions, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was clearly offside for the 14th vote and the ref should've blown for handball by Lovely Rita during the build up for the 22nd vote.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    JamesSeed said:

You know what, I liked the Stone Roses album back in the day, but to me it sounds dated now (very much trapped in its time). And I guess that's fine if it brings back great memories. It doesn't for me as it came out at a lifetime low point.

I wasn't crazy about Peppers when it came out (I was only 9 mind you), and only got into it in the 90s really. To me it sounds oddly ageless. And listening now, it's on a different level, musically, technically etc to the Stone Roses. Some of the songs I've never liked, but the ones I do are exceptional.
    If you had to pick one of the albums to put in a rocket and send to aliens in a different galaxy to say, 'listen to this, this is what we can do!' it's Peppers every time.

This is why asking people about their musical likes is an exercise that is pretty futile. I actually think that it still sounds exceptional and seeing them perform live again over the last couple of years, I was delighted to see the number of youngsters in the crowd who wouldn't have been born (or at the least were in nappies) when it was released (including my nephew - these "kids" knew every word of every song as well as I did).

Ask me to list my Top 5 songs and I'll probably give you a different 5 every day. I can't break "likes" down like that. The most memorable music for me always has a time, person, event, or all three connected and my preferences change as I think about things in different ways.

Anyway...What's Going On, Marvin Gaye...best album of all time!! :smile:
  • Options

Don't talk Bollocks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

JamesSeed said:

This is why asking people about their musical likes is an exercise that is pretty futile. I actually think that it still sounds exceptional and seeing them perform live again over the last couple of years, I was delighted to see the number of youngsters in the crowd who wouldn't have been born (or at the least were in nappies) when it was released (including my nephew - these "kids" knew every word of every song as well as I did).

Ask me to list my Top 5 songs and I'll probably give you a different 5 every day. I can't break "likes" down like that. The most memorable music for me always has a time, person, event, or all three connected and my preferences change as I think about things in different ways.

I was going to say the same. Stone Roses music hasn't dated at all, imo.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

JamesSeed said:

It's certainly one of them. Great album.
    I'd have Stevie's Talking Book, African Dub Chapter Three, a Wire album maybe, the Clash album, Dela Soul '3ft High and Rising'.....The Incomparable Ella, Frank Sinatra 'Songs for Swinging Lovers'....
  • Options

Peppers.

Also cant believe why someone would want to 'lol' the fact/opinion that Sgt Peppers is a far more important album than remotely anything The Stone Roses would have produced imo ) - anyway, each to their own.