Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alexa, Amazon

124»

Comments

• Options
    Stig browsing Charlton life.

• Options
    Stig said:
    I've never had one for precisely that reason. Glad I haven't now.  That said, how do I know that big business hasn't got control of the microphones in my phone and pc?
    There is a microphone muting button on top of the unit that gives a clear indication (red light) when operated. 

I wish I could use it when my three year old grandchildren visit.  My linked Spotify account has now started providing play lists from Frozen, Moana, Sticky kids and Wee sing. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I've never had one for precisely that reason. Glad I haven't now.  That said, how do I know that big business hasn't got control of the microphones in my phone and pc?
    There is a microphone muting button on top of the unit that gives a clear indication (red light) when operated. 

I wish I could use it when my three year old grandchildren visit.  My linked Spotify account has now started providing play lists from Frozen, Moana, Sticky kids and Wee sing. 
    Without wanting to sound paranoid (I can see someone thinks that already) how do I know that the multinationals that build these products and keep us locked into their systems don't have a red light muting button?
  • Options
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

Without wanting to sound paranoid (I can see someone thinks that already) how do I know that the multinationals that build these products and keep us locked into their systems don't have a red light muting button?

But surely a similar @risk” could be there whenever you use any connected device?!? Be that Alexa, smartphone, laptop, home security cameras etc. 

I am 100% sure that these ‘snooping’ opportunities exist - but I really don’t worry about it. I’m sure I’m far too boring to be snooped upon. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

But surely a similar @risk” could be there whenever you use any connected device?!? Be that Alexa, smartphone, laptop, home security cameras etc. 

I am 100% sure that these ‘snooping’ opportunities exist - but I really don’t worry about it. I’m sure I’m far too boring to be snooped upon. 
    I don’t think it’s whether I have anything to hide is the issue, it’s simply about people being able to listen in, it’s intrusive and who knows how they’ll use the information to manipulate!

But of course you’re probably right, most electronic devices may have the ability to do the same!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    My daughter was talking about the World Wildlife Fund last night as part of her homework. An advert for them just popped up on a thread here. Have never seen one from them before, could it be due to our Alexa?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    My daughter was talking about the World Wildlife Fund last night as part of her homework. An advert for them just popped up on a thread here. Have never seen one from them before, could it be due to our Alexa?
    No
  • Options
    Probably your phone, happens all the time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was listening to something on LBC (Janes O’Brien) about QAnon. Wtf is going on with people believing in this nonsense. I quite fancy getting onto their website for a look see but can’t find a way to access it.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Stig said:
    No
    I did think it would be a bit far fetched tbh. 
  • Options
    Was listening to something on LBC (Janes O’Brien) about QAnon. Wtf is going on with people believing in this nonsense. I quite fancy getting onto their website for a look see but can’t find a way to access it.
    I haven't tried to find/access a QAnon website, but there is plenty of information and believers on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/

Some of the QAnon stories/theories: 

Pizzagate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzagate_conspiracy_theory

Wayfair trafficking children: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53416247

Deep state working against Donald Trump: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_state_in_the_United_States

Mostly I think the people that believe in this are complete idiots and are being brainwashed. But if you keep reading into it and investigating, you can start to doubt what may or may not be true!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Blimey..! 

Brilliant, take a bow sir.
  • Options
    To test this, I've just asked "Alexa, what's DaveI Mehmet up to?"

It seems your reputation is deserved, you dirty boy.