Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alexa, Amazon

Comments

• Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

I’m just wondering whether people still get up from the sofa and manually switch the tv over...or do you now use the remote control?
    Amazon Echo/Dot is just the next step. They are also good fun, educational and entertaining; music and radio. I’m sure those with young kids will get a great use out of Alexa taking the flak off dad; “Dad, what’s the capital of Hungary?” I’m busy, ask Alexa. It saves time than going through Wikipedia. Also little kids (and big kids) will have fun asking Alexa to tell jokes and on Christmas Day ask Alexa to play festive music. What’s not to like. You’ll never know, you might next get Alexa to switch tv channels and the poor old remote becomes redundant. Go on, give it a go!
    Merry Christmas ho ho ho.

All dads should know the capital of Hungary.
    Okay smart arse Burkina Faso ;o)
  • edited November 2017
    Americans are scared.....well it's a big country and there's a lot of paranoia
  • Bloody hell.... Bought one on line yesterday afternoon from Amazon for my daughter, and it's just srrived Sunday afternoon.
  • Alexa has started letting out a spooky little laugh. Amazon are "working to fix it."
  • edited March 2018
    The Alexa in my Sonos one is doing my nut in. Just randomly pipes up and I find myself trying to work out if anyone on the tv has just said something remotely like “Alexa”.
  • The Alexa in my Sonos one is doing my nut in. Just randomly pipes up and I find myself trying to work out if anyone on the tv has just said something remotely like “Alexa”.

Try having a child called Alex! The little Alexa off button on the Sonos has to be hit a fair bit.
  • edited March 2018
    Rothko said:

The Alexa in my Sonos one is doing my nut in. Just randomly pipes up and I find myself trying to work out if anyone on the tv has just said something remotely like “Alexa”.

Try having a child called Alex! The little Alexa off button on the Sonos has to be hit a fair bit.
    You can change its name to Amazon, Echo or computer!
  • Rothko said:

You can change its name to Amazon, Echo or computer!
    I don’t think you can on the Sonos One yet...
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone have decent app recommendations to add functionality to Alexa?
  • Know someone who uses a echo to control medication for their mum who has dementia.
    They're set it her to remind her to have lunch and other meals as well.

Is that safe? Saw a documentary the other day on how insecure the Internet of Things is. A couple of IT bods demo'ed hacking an automated insulin dispenser in no time at all then whacked the dose up to fatal amounts.
  • Missed It said:

Know someone who uses a echo to control medication for their mum who has dementia.

Is that safe? Saw a documentary the other day on how insecure the Internet of Things is. A couple of IT bods demo'ed hacking an automated insulin dispenser in no time at all then whacked the dose up to fatal amounts.
    When I said control, I mean it just reminds the lady to take her tablets, as before using it, she would forget.
  • Missed It said:

Know someone who uses a echo to control medication for their mum who has dementia.

When I said control, I mean it just reminds the lady to take her tablets, as before using it, she would forget.
    Got ya. I have no idea what clever things this kit can do these days. I feel like a proper dinosaur sometimes!!
  • Ask her if football is coming home?!
  • Not sure about Alexa but I've just asked Google and apparently it is!!!!
  • Just asked her - she said her money was on Brazil but Belgium have put paid to that. perhaps England are in with a chance!
  • "52 years of hurt hasn't stopped me dreaming, maybe this time it really is coming home, I'll put the kettle on"
  • Huskaris said:

"52 years of hurt hasn't stopped me dreaming, maybe this time it really is coming home, I'll put the kettle on"

She said the same to me about 20 minutes ago. Still waiting for that cuppa.
  • Sponsored links:

• If anyone is listening in on my life they must be bored shitless.
  • edited January 2019
    We went to a friend's house for lunch yesterday and he's basically got Alexa running his whole house for him. The kids had great fun trying to get Alexa to do stuff. At one point my three year old was shouting away at her because Alexa didn't recognise her trying to say Peppa Pig. I got really lazy and got Alexa to count to 20 for me when the kids were playing hide & seek. Bitch wouldn't go find them for me though!
  • What is that film with that red bulb thing that controls people's houses. I think it's a horror

The Simpsons did a Halloween episode covering on it. Piers Brosnon was involved?

Give it 10/20 years...most people's houses could well be full blown Alexa controlled!
  • Try opening Trivia hero, its very addictive.
  • And invite the Stasi in at the same time, ingenious!
  • I've never had one for precisely that reason. Glad I haven't now.  That said, how do I know that big business hasn't got control of the microphones in my phone and pc?