Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alexa, Amazon

Comments

• Options
    I've got a Sonos Play 3 in the lounge and another in the family room as well as a Play 1 in the bedroom so not sure I can justify another £200 on another one just because it has Alexa built in. Especially when it's only £70 for the new Echo and £35 for the Echo Dot at the moment.

I think I'm leaning towards the Echo and 3 or 4 Dots - then next year will get my nest thermostats installed at home and start my journey towards an automated house.
  • Options
    I've got two of them, the novelty may have worn off a bit as I'm no longer trying to teach her to swear however I use them for music primarily and for listening to the radio. With the internet of things the potential is huge and practicality for people with visual impairments or memory problems is genuinely innovative. I'm not such a fanboy as I know they are profit driven and whilst it costs me little with a prime subscription I would like a day to come where Amazon don't make things inferior to push you into their prime plus type of subscription based services.

The sound quality of the big ones are decent and he small ones aren't bad but remember how small they are so temper expectation accordingly. I thought the small ones could be totally wireless but you need to buy a battery pack if you want that. which I did and am glad of

Cool bits of kit and as the world advances so will they
  • Options
    I've had a Dot for about 6 months and use it more than I thought I would tbh but because the things so small it's really only useful for listening to music when linked up to a bluetooth speaker. Thinking about asking Santa for either an Echo or maybe an Echo Plus. With the Echo Plus I'm really not sure if the built in hub is going to be worth it or more of a pain than anything else and maybe I should just go for a separate hub instead? Have read some negative reviews that the Echo Plus suffers from only supporting one set of devices(?) but I'm unlikely to be using it to control much more than a few lights and some sockets anyway. I've got a smart tele so if there's any way of getting that linked up that would be great if poss'.

Anyone got an Echo Plus or have any advice to offer would be interesting (non-techie please 'cos I'm at the limit of what I can cope with and I still don't understand 90% of that Kodi thread!)?
  • Options
    Been using mine for over a year now, it controls my TV, surround sound, multiple lights, heating, Xbox, fire stick and probably some other stuff I’m forgetting about :smile:
  • Options
    Lots of good deals on amazon today. Harmony hub for £59.00 is great, I probably paid double that over a year ago. It let’s you control your TV etc.
  • Options

Lots of good deals on amazon today. Harmony hub for £59.00 is great, I probably paid double that over a year ago. It let’s you control your TV etc.

Sorry, you might not have a view but I'm a bit in the dark on most things tech, would you recommend this over the built in hub in Echo Plus?
  • Options
    I think the Harmony Hub is infra red where as the Echo hub is wireless. The Harmony is so that you can operate your non-smart tv.
  • Options

Sorry, you might not have a view but I'm a bit in the dark on most things tech, would you recommend this over the built in hub in Echo Plus?
    I haven’t got any experience with the echo plus but the harmony hub can control pretty much anything that is controlled with IR, I’ve had it controlling lights, tv, Xbox, amp, anything with a remote really. I’ve even seen people set it up to control window blinds!

So for that reason I’d go with harmony, it also means I have all my remotes on my mobile which is very useful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017

Different types of things in a way BA...The harmony is usually for TV, DVD player, Sky, etc. It can connect to Phillips Hue lights but you don't get the same level of control as with the Echo. You also don't get the "smart" features with this...i.e Alexa, set timer for 5mins / Alexa, turn on the lounge lights / Alexa, tell me why I should have voted Leave ;)

The Echo plus has the built in hub, which means you don't need one if you get / have Hue lights for example. The Echo plus can connect directly to them. You can get starter kits for things like the lights which include the hub.

So it's probably just a case of weighing up the options. Starter kit inc hub & new echo vs lights & echo plus. The harmony hub is designed more to work in parallel with the Echo as opposed to instead of.

Of course, if you don't want the smart features / controlling lights, etc and just want to control your TV, Sky, DVD player, etc then you'd be best suited with the Harmony Hub.
  • Options
    I secretly like the idea of having one of these but know full well I would feel like a massive wanker if I started talking to technology to turn the heating on or draw the blinds in the presence of other people.
  • Options

cafctom said:

I secretly like the idea of having one of these but know full well I would feel like a massive wanker if I started talking to technology to turn the heating on or draw the blinds in the presence of other people.

Save your money cafctom.

All of these devices are gathering data on the users and sending it back to big brother on a mega server somewhere. When the servers get hacked by the Russians and all the data stolen they will all be on Ebay for a tenner.

Look after your back and knees mate, get up off the sofa every now and again and draw the blinds, turn on a light, adjust the heating, you will thank me.
    This thread is a really sad reflection of modern society, IMO.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Save your money cafctom.

All of these devices are gathering data on the users and sending it back to big brother on a mega server somewhere. When the servers get hacked by the Russians and all the data stolen they will all be on Ebay for a tenner.

Look after your back and knees mate, get up off the sofa every now and again and draw the blinds, turn on a light, adjust the heating, you will thank me.
    So what you’re telling me is that those pesky Russians are going to have a database of when I turn my lights on and off and how often I ask Alexa “Who you gonna call” to impress/amuse my friends?

;-)
  • Options
    I think I've reached the bewilderment stage. I can't really understand this thread, would I be right in thinking that Amazon has invented a device to do lots of things that were already very easy to do?
  • Options

cafctom said:

Save your money cafctom.

Oh for gawds sake, it's just a bit of fun for me mostly and making use of technology not the end of civilisation. I assume you still use encylopedias rather than Google when you want to look something up?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I’m just wondering whether people still get up from the sofa and manually switch the tv over...or do you now use the remote control?
    Amazon Echo/Dot is just the next step. They are also good fun, educational and entertaining; music and radio. I’m sure those with young kids will get a great use out of Alexa taking the flak off dad; “Dad, what’s the capital of Hungary?” I’m busy, ask Alexa. It saves time than going through Wikipedia. Also little kids (and big kids) will have fun asking Alexa to tell jokes and on Christmas Day ask Alexa to play festive music. What’s not to like. You’ll never know, you might next get Alexa to switch tv channels and the poor old remote becomes redundant. Go on, give it a go!
    Merry Christmas ho ho ho.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I’m just wondering whether people still get up from the sofa and manually switch the tv over...or do you now use the remote control?
    Amazon Echo/Dot is just the next step. They are also good fun, educational and entertaining; music and radio. I’m sure those with young kids will get a great use out of Alexa taking the flak off dad; “Dad, what’s the capital of Hungary?” I’m busy, ask Alexa. It saves time than going through Wikipedia. Also little kids (and big kids) will have fun asking Alexa to tell jokes and on Christmas Day ask Alexa to play festive music. What’s not to like. You’ll never know, you might next get Alexa to switch tv channels and the poor old remote becomes redundant. Go on, give it a go!
    Merry Christmas ho ho ho.

All dads should know the capital of Hungary.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Save your money cafctom.

Oh for gawds sake, it's just a bit of fun for me mostly and making use of technology not the end of civilisation. I assume you still use encylopedias rather than Google when you want to look something up?
    Maybe it is for you, not sure I mentioned you though, I said society, in general, how many people spend their lives attached to a smart phone. How high do obesity rates have to reach before it's a problem? Technology can be an amazing thing, for many people, especially the disabled, sadly I think for many people, it's making their lives worse, easier maybe, but worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

I’ve got something other than Alexa to do this - she’s Called Mrs Otto.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Save your money cafctom.

Maybe it is for you, not sure I mentioned you though, I said society, in general, how many people spend their lives attached to a smart phone. How high do obesity rates have to reach before it's a problem? Technology can be an amazing thing, for many people, especially the disabled, sadly I think for many people, it's making their lives worse, easier maybe, but worse.
    I’m pretty sure people said the same about the advent of cars replacing horses. The spinning Jenny and steam engines.

It’s just progress. Embrace it.
  • Options
    Alexa, when is Roland going to sell Charlton ?
  • Options
    Lol can’t wait for Russians to control my lighting and tv...
  • Options
    edited November 2017

cafctom said:

Save your money cafctom.

I’m pretty sure people said the same about the advent of cars replacing horses. The spinning Jenny and steam engines.

In this instance I'm not convinced it is.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Save your money cafctom.

In this instance I'm not convinced it is.
    Of course it is. The next step will be you walking into your house at 6pm and the lights coming on automatically and "the Russians" putting on the kettle without you doing a thing.

Well, apart from walking through the door.
  • Options
    I love gadgets and technology, so I would love to get one of these echo things, but I just cannot understand how it would improve my life.
  • Options
    I’m not sure it’s a way of improving your life though, it’s just a different way of doing things.
  • Options
    Took the plunge yesterday and ordered the echo 2nd generation in a Black Friday deal