Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name the Players - Man Utd v Charlton: League Cup 1974

11 September 1974
5-1 to Manchester United
League Cup 2nd round
Old Trafford

The museum have been give scans of some original unsued press photos from the game above.

So for a bit of fun and to help us name the players who are they?

Line ups were:

Dunn
Curtis
Warman
Hunt
Horsfield
Young
Powell
Hales
Bowman
Dunphy
Peacock

Sub (not used) Tumbridge

Stepney
Forsyth
Buchan
Holton
Houston
Daly
Martin
McCalliog
Morgan
McIlroy
Macari
Subs
Young for Forsyth

Comments

• Options
    First picture: Bob Curtis No 2 David Young nearest camera on the goal line.
  • Options
    Last pic left to right
    Dunphy Bowman Curtis Young
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    EDIT: mistake

I think 'King Arthur' is partially hidden behind Young on the goal line in the first picture.

King Arthur = Arthur Horsfield for the youngsters
  • Options
    Looks like we were defending a lot, if those pictures are anything to go by!!
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Looks like we were defending a lot, if those pictures are anything to go by!!

Not very well, as the final score would indicate.
  • Options
    Paddy Powell to the left of John Dunn the 'keeper in the first picture
  • Options
    From the team line up it looks like we went 4 5 1. Hales is the only out and out striker apart from King Arthur who seems to have played centre back that day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went that night with Alun Jones and his Dad and formed a friendship that lasts to this day.My abiding memory was going one nil up after 8 minutes and being 3-1 down after 15.This may not be accurate memory from the game but it is what I remember.Also the only time I heard an entire home crowd chanting "Charlton Pathetic"
  • Options
    I was there with the all the faces of the day. As said above Hunt put us up 1-0 after 8 mins, which resulted in unhappy united fans kicking off with the celebrating mob of about 40 of us. Police put us on edge of pitch and marched us round to other side of ground , we got there covered in gob and losing 2-1.

But that moment of going 1-0 at Old Trafford was worth the trip.
  • Options
    The Man Utd sub Tony Young moved to Charlton the following year.
    Also Charlton keeper John Dunn, a former united player when taking his position in goal in front of the stretford end acknowledged his name being sung by united fans with a wave only to hear " W@#{€r" sung back in unison by united fans.
  • Options
    Richie Bowman in pics 3&4. Blonde guy. Bobby Curtis to his right and Phil Warman to the left on pic 3 and I think Dunphy is behind the Utd No8