Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Catalan Independence vote

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

I don't understand this nationalism growing everywhere. I am all in favour of cultural differences and variety, and a glorious pride in one's culture, but when those differences are hi-jacked into a political cause I find it quite disturbing.
    As a Londoner I probably have more understanding and empathy for a Berliner, or residents of Shanghai or Glasgow than things I have in common with a farming community in Kent.

So my understanding of this is very rudimentary (Charlton Madrid, ken_shabby, hugely appreciating the insights), but I would file this under something slightly different than the right wing nationalist we've seen really grow here, grow in Britain Brexit, and in central and eastern Europe (AfD, national front, etc.). So my knowledge on this goes back to traveling in Spain almost a decade ago and having some Spanish friends, but I think with Catalonia it's more a case of they've felt held back/persecuted by the Spanish government for years, going back to the Civil War. As I understand it, there is a lot of wealth/natural resources in the region, and they feel like the government takes from them and doesn't recognize them (Catalans) as a group that is not Spanish but Catalan. So it's less of "we're better than these foreigners" and more "we're just different from you."

Hemingway once said "Spain is a continent," and I think he was right in that.

For those with better knowledge of all this, please feel free to correct me.
  • Options
    Firefighters stepping in to protect the public from the police

• Options
    Wow those videos are indefensible, playing right into the hands of those that want independence, too.
  • Options
    Worst possible response from the Spanish government.

Looks like a panic reaction.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Police : move or you'll be removed

People refuse to move

Police remove them

People moan of police brutality

Load of old shit!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Horrible images. But again the other side have denounced that the Indpendence front allowed parents and children to occupy schools over the weekend to keep them open for todays vote. The Madrid side of things have been showing photos of voters trying to enter polling stations using children as shields. I can't vouch for either side but terrible if true. But official figures currently say there are 349 injured so far, 11 seriously, and 11 police.
    Both sides should look at that and hang their heads, but I imagine there will just be the usual finger pointing.
  • Options

Who orders the police thugs to attack a man in a wheelchair?

• Options

People refuse to move

Police remove them

Load of old shit!

Would you be happy for this to be happening in London?
    Depends who to

; )
  • Options
    Just got home to follow events on TV and shocked to see the lack of coverage on the mainstream channels. Media blackout here? Luckily can follow events online but I find this pretty sinister as well.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Total fucking disgrace ... a supposed modern police force in Western Europe.

Deplorable.

But not overly surprising given how they usually treat foreign football fans
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

People refuse to move

Police remove them

Load of old shit!

Would you be happy for this to be happening in London?
    It does happen in London, soon all the arsehole only interested in trouble will emerge and start rioting
  • Options
    the other month they got all aggressive. throwing their weight around and shoving people over. and that was just a few cycling fans watching the Vulta. if they cant even handle that without losing their cool and turning into thugs then what hope have they got in this heated situation.
  • Options
    Can the other thread be left open for people who want to connect this to the EU, and this one can be left for discussion of these events?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    The government of Spain was a fascist dictatorship until the end of the 70s and Barcelona was the last area to resist the military occupation at the end of the civil war and was subsequently punished by Franco for 4 decades. That Madrid was and still is seen as receiving the patronage of that regime has a big part to play in the independence movement. Bearing in mind that our nation still defines itself in terms of WW2 how much more powerful must this be for Catalonia and Spain?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    out of interest does anyone know if Menorca (Minorca) is voting? they were the one of the last (if not the last) to fall under franco during the cival war. they still class themselves as Catalonians.
  • Options

out of interest does anyone know if Menorca (Minorca) is voting? they were the one of the last (if not the last) to fall under franco during the cival war. they still class themselves as Catalonians.

Good point.