Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fleetwood v Charlton | Sat 30 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Fleetwood Town v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 30th September 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge (Tyne & Wear)

Introduction

September really can’t end soon enough for Charlton… On Tuesday night the Addicks travelled up to Walsall and after the first 20mins, you’d have expected a comfortable win, yet chances weren’t taken once again and Karl Robinson was forced to settle for a 2-2 draw (goals coming from Tariqe Fosu and Ricky Holmes) – This Saturday sees the Addicks playing yet another away game as they travel to the North West of England as we play guests to: Fleetwood Town.

The Opposition
Name: Fleetwood Town | Manager: Uwe Rosler
League Form: (P)-9 | (W)-5 | (D)-1 | (L)-3 | (GS)-17 | (GC)-15

If Shrewsbury Town are the surprise package this term and Burton Albion were the surprise package two years ago then without any shadow of a doubt it was the turn of Fleetwood Town last season… Tipped by many for relegation, Fleetwood shocked everyone by just missing out on promotion, a run out in the Play-Offs saw that dream come to an end yet Uwe Rosler’s reputation (after suffering at Leeds and Wigan) is surely back on track.

Of course, with the size of Fleetwood, achieving the same targets this year would be extremely difficult for Rosler and his side, a fact not helped by the stark truth that Highbury Stadium is the second smallest in the Division… Combine that with our opponents having to live in the shadow of Blackpool FC shows just how well the Fishermen have done (having only been reformed for a second time in 1997).

Yet even with Fleetwood’s current position in mid-table is an achievement and the lack of stature is something not to be sneered at; In Uwe Rosler they have a manager who knows this Division extremely well and have a young squad thirsty for success… Kyle Dempsey is the lynchpin in midfield and will be familiar to Charlton fans after an embarrassing approach from us for the player last January whilst Devante Cole is the key danger man in the Fleetwood ranks. Son of ex-Manchester United Legend: Andy Cole… Devante has struggled to stop scoring this term and with seven goals has only failed to find the net in four appearances; Fleetwood succeeded in keeping him at the end of August, its doubtful they’ll manage to do the same come January!!

Charlton Team News
Well the squad was certainly rotated on Tuesday night!!... After the draw with Bury; Karl Robinson promised changes yet the only new face in the eleven was Ezri Konsa in place of the injured Jason Pearce. With the latter expected to be out for 10-weeks, it gives a chance for our England U20 International to show what he can do in his more natural Defensive role.

My scepticism at the start of this section stems from the promise that Ben Reeves and Mark Marshall will return to the bench this Saturday; with the former having barely appeared and the latter having just recovered from injury, the lack of game time in the U23s for either player is a concern and it honestly wouldn’t be a surprise if one or neither appear in the line-up on Saturday afternoon… Who they’d replace is anyone’s guess yet with Karlan Ahearne-Grant preferred ahead of loanee: Joe Dodoo its more likely that the latter will be forced to sit out this one.

Amos
Solly | Konsa | Bauer | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Dijksteel | Jackson | Reeves | Marshall | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Chris Solly after the Walsall performance gave a rare interview and stated that there should be a high score line expected soon (in favour of the Addicks) – Failure to keep the ball out of the net and we’ll need to score a good few to win the match but don’t see that happening on Saturday; September cant end quick enough as another score draw will be recorded.

Comments

• Try North West or you'll end up at Hartlepool instead
  • One of those games i think whoever turns up wins. 2-0 defeat.
  • edited September 2017

Try North West or you'll end up at Hartlepool instead

• Nice one, a member of the aristocracy refereeing.
  • 2-1 to the mighty Fleetwood!

Thanks Roland.
  • Who knows, after the last few games, is the team that won 4 games on the trot going to play, or the team that can only play for 30 minutes and does not know how to score most of the chances they get? Being optimistic 1-2, as for our scorers, Bauer and Marshall in the last few minutes, (if he gets on)
  • can see us getting a pasting on this one, fleetwood 4 charlton 1, obviously hope im wrong.
  • Another draw, 1 -1 late equaliser for us from Bauer from a corner, after conceding an early goal.
  • Macronate said:

Nice one, a member of the aristocracy refereeing.

Somebody called Sebastian from the North East. I imagine the psychiatrists couch would reveal a few painful memories...
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fleetwood like us are regular scorers, but also struggle to keep the ball out. On that basis, I'm predicting a frustrating 2-2 draw (which incidentally was also the score last season), slightly softened by amusement at the latest Palace defeat.

• another score draw.....Ricky once again
  • 1-1 standard Charlton score, would like to see Sarr in the team as he is worth a chance. Although our defence looks strong on paper even without Pearce, we keep leaking goals. Expect standard team though with Konsa in for Pearce
  • Another we'll definitely LOSE

Fleetwood 0 - 7 Charlton
  • "Karl Robinson says Charlton have two injury scares for the trip to Fleetwood on Saturday.

Ben Reeves and Mark Marshall are set to start on the bench, but the Addicks have other injury problems.

Robinson would not reveal who the crocked players were.

He told News Shopper: “We have two injuries already [for Saturday], I’m not going to tell you who they are now. We have Mark Marshall and Ben Reeves coming back.

“They’re not fully fit, no. They could've stayed behind. But they will both play 50 minutes against Ipswich on Tuesday night."

Charlton draw
    Charlton draw
    Now you've drawn twice you'll draw more

Another score draw with Marshall getting an equaliser off the bench and becoming V849
  • Very hard game against a well drilled side with one of the best managers in the UK game outside of the Premiership.

I'd start Sarr in a back 5, include Reeves and go all out for damage limitation trying for at least a draw and hopefully (very hopefully) nicking a win.

Realistically, though, a draw would be a good result.
  • Think we might lose this one...hopefully not as outclassed like we were against Wigan but think them being at home will drive them on

2-1 Fleetwood
  • Comfortable away draw 0-0, another superb defensive display.
  • 3-1 addicts holmes yet again, baur and reeves. cole for them
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Charlton will have Mark Marshall and Ben Reeves back in the squad for Saturday’s League One game at Fleetwood Town.

“They are not ready to start, because they have been out so long, injuries tend to happen through fatigue rather than when you are fresh at the beginning of a game.

“They’ve only got a certain amount of minutes in them but it is brilliant for me if Ben can go and play 12 or 15 minutes and Mark can do 20 or 25 minutes. They are great subs to have.

“They could have stayed behind and played in our under-23 game on Friday night – which hopefully Lewis Page will be a part of – but I felt it was more beneficial for them to come with me than staying behind
  • MrLargo said:

“You might as well keep playing the same interviews over and over again” said Karl after Tuesday’s draw at Walsall, in an extremely rare moment of self-awareness. Maybe he’s as bored of repeating the same old excuses as I am of listening to them.

In other news from Planet Karl, it seems that Jo Dodoo’s Charlton career is progressing nicely. The man who Robinson said “can reach those dizzy heights of quality” (1 September) and has “been excellent. He's fitted into the group really well” (7 September) seems to have gone rapidly backwards. Asked this week why he hasn’t been playing him, Gobshite explained that “he needs to settle down, get used to the club, what we’re trying to do, travelling and playing games again. And then he’ll be a better player for that. But at this moment in time, I feel that what we’re doing is right and at the end of the day it’s my decision.”

Surely when you make a loan signing, you need to pick someone who can hit the ground-running. Seems a bit stupid to me to sign someone up for 5 months if they’re not going to be able to perform at the required level for the first 2 or 3 months they’re with you.

So in terms of options up front, we’ve got Magennis and….and…..nope that’s it. Luckily Reeves and Marshall are now able to walk without the assistance of a zimmer frame, so both are likely to appear at some point on Saturday. Fielding players who aren’t fully fit – what could possibly go wrong?!

This week’s comment most likely to come back and bite him on the arse relates to the inevitable January sale of Ezri Konsa:

They've been asking for a price tag. We’ve got a high one. The boy won't go until they meet our criteria. It’s the same with Ademola Lookman. My argument is if we sell players, there has to be money put back into the team to go forward, otherwise you're devaluing your own team.(http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/648387/Charlton-Ezri-Konsa-Arsenal-Everton-Liverpool-Transfer-News-Gossip (sorry for quoting a rubbish paper)

Good luck with that Karl. My prediction - £5m in for Konsa, we fail with a well-publicised but completely fictional bid for Devante Cole, we extend Joe Dodoo’s loan until the end of the season. “I’m disgusted with the way certain clubs and individuals have conducted themselves” says Karl (yet again).

Anyway, having said that 21st placed Bury have “top players that will compete against teams in this league” as well as “one of the best strikers in the league” (6-goal Jermaine Beckford), he must be dreading the prospect of facing the Galacticos of Fleetwood and 7-goal Devante Cole. They’ve just thrashed Bradford 3-0 at Valley Parade so I think Karl’s nailed on to claim another Charlton record – First Addicks manager to lose a competitive fixture against Fleetwood Town. 2 - 0

Roland out.

Spot on dude.
  • Four of us going Saturday and I'm feeling quite confident. 3.1 Charlton to fire us back into the top six where we shall remain for the rest of the season.
    COYR
  • ross1 said:

Charlton will have Mark Marshall and Ben Reeves back in the squad for Saturday’s League One game at Fleetwood Town.

“They are not ready to start, because they have been out so long, injuries tend to happen through fatigue rather than when you are fresh at the beginning of a game.

“They’ve only got a certain amount of minutes in them but it is brilliant for me if Ben can go and play 12 or 15 minutes and Mark can do 20 or 25 minutes. They are great subs to have.

“They could have stayed behind and played in our under-23 game on Friday night – which hopefully Lewis Page will be a part of – but I felt it was more beneficial for them to come with me than staying behind

All excellent news that, including the fact that Page is progressing well.
  • MrLargo said:

“You might as well keep playing the same interviews over and over again” said Karl after Tuesday’s draw at Walsall, in an extremely rare moment of self-awareness. Maybe he’s as bored of repeating the same old excuses as I am of listening to them.

In other news from Planet Karl, it seems that Jo Dodoo’s Charlton career is progressing nicely. The man who Robinson said “can reach those dizzy heights of quality” (1 September) and has “been excellent. He's fitted into the group really well” (7 September) seems to have gone rapidly backwards. Asked this week why he hasn’t been playing him, Gobshite explained that “he needs to settle down, get used to the club, what we’re trying to do, travelling and playing games again. And then he’ll be a better player for that. But at this moment in time, I feel that what we’re doing is right and at the end of the day it’s my decision.”

Surely when you make a loan signing, you need to pick someone who can hit the ground-running. Seems a bit stupid to me to sign someone up for 5 months if they’re not going to be able to perform at the required level for the first 2 or 3 months they’re with you.

So in terms of options up front, we’ve got Magennis and….and…..nope that’s it. Luckily Reeves and Marshall are now able to walk without the assistance of a zimmer frame, so both are likely to appear at some point on Saturday. Fielding players who aren’t fully fit – what could possibly go wrong?!

This week’s comment most likely to come back and bite him on the arse relates to the inevitable January sale of Ezri Konsa:

They've been asking for a price tag. We’ve got a high one. The boy won't go until they meet our criteria. It’s the same with Ademola Lookman. My argument is if we sell players, there has to be money put back into the team to go forward, otherwise you're devaluing your own team.(http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/648387/Charlton-Ezri-Konsa-Arsenal-Everton-Liverpool-Transfer-News-Gossip (sorry for quoting a rubbish paper)

Good luck with that Karl. My prediction - £5m in for Konsa, we fail with a well-publicised but completely fictional bid for Devante Cole, we extend Joe Dodoo’s loan until the end of the season. “I’m disgusted with the way certain clubs and individuals have conducted themselves” says Karl (yet again).

Anyway, having said that 21st placed Bury have “top players that will compete against teams in this league” as well as “one of the best strikers in the league” (6-goal Jermaine Beckford), he must be dreading the prospect of facing the Galacticos of Fleetwood and 7-goal Devante Cole. They’ve just thrashed Bradford 3-0 at Valley Parade so I think Karl’s nailed on to claim another Charlton record – First Addicks manager to lose a competitive fixture against Fleetwood Town. 2 - 0

Roland out.

2 points from 4 and he's back to gobshite.

I don't think anything in there is unreasonable. We needed another striker. And absolutely, ideally we'd have brought someone in who was fit and ready to go, but again, I don't know who that player would have been. I suspect KR got what he could. I've already pointed out we should be scouting abroad.

But basically saying "he hasn't played regularly for a while, this league is a slog, he didn't have a pre-season with us and he needs to get back in the swing of things" isn't a ridiculous shout. He can be working hard but also still needing to get up to speed. Alternatively, THINGS CHANGE WITH TIME. So Dodoo could have been doing well a couple weeks ago and now struggling. He would not be the first.

I think people are so used to bland cliches that if anyone offers anything different (and note, Karl says some ridiculous things sometimes, but he also says some insightful things), people think he's wrong.

This, by the way, is part of the reason why managers say absolutely fucking nothing pre and post game in England. Because everything they say is picked apart, not for substance, but for any sort of inconsistency in tone or message.

Again, Karl is not always right, but neither is some of the criticism he gets.
  • I keep repeating myself on here .. (a sign of incipient dementia or growing wisdom ? )

4231 is better to suited to away games and restricting home team's space (in theory) .. I maintain that 4231 is not a system designed for scoring lots of goals at our current level .. we do not have the players to properly utilise it ..
    Fleetwood usually play a fluid 343 or 3421 .. as stated, Cole is a danger .. luckily they have lost their other danger man from last season, David Ball, to Rotherham ..I'm a bit concerned if Konsa plays at the back, we will see what happens

as I typed in the 'Fleetwood Away' thread, they're very inconsistent but when they're good they are very good .. I'll be happy with another (yawn yawn) draw but of course hope for a win .. be nice to see Marshall and/or Reeves get a run out but I doubt it will happen

Fleetwood Town 1 v CAFC 1
  • SDAddick said:

MrLargo said:

Roland out.

I don't think anything in there is unreasonable. We needed another striker. And absolutely, ideally we'd have brought someone in who was fit and ready to go, but again, I don't know who that player would have been. I suspect KR got what he could. I've already pointed out we should be scouting abroad.

But basically saying "he hasn't played regularly for a while, this league is a slog, he didn't have a pre-season with us and he needs to get back in the swing of things" isn't a ridiculous shout. He can be working hard but also still needing to get up to speed. Alternatively, THINGS CHANGE WITH TIME. So Dodoo could have been doing well a couple weeks ago and now struggling. He would not be the first.

I think people are so used to bland cliches that if anyone offers anything different (and note, Karl says some ridiculous things sometimes, but he also says some insightful things), people think he's wrong.

This, by the way, is part of the reason why managers say absolutely fucking nothing pre and post game in England. Because everything they say is picked apart, not for substance, but for any sort of inconsistency in tone or message.

Again, Karl is not always right, but neither is some of the criticism he gets.
    Agree on that.
  • 2-1. Could be well of the pace next time we play.
  • MrLargo said:

SDAddick said:

MrLargo said:

Roland out.

Not going to dispute any of your other points, but if you were incredibly bored one day and decided to read through all my posts about Karl Robinson, you'd see that I've always considered him to be a gobshite, ever since he arrived at Charlton (and, to a lesser extent, before that when he was at MK).

It might be wrong, it might be unfair, it might be irrational, but I am 100% consistent in my dislike of Karl Robinson, the Duchatelet Regime's chief spokesperson and spin doctor. 15 points from 6 games - he was a gobshite. 2 points from 4 games - he's still a gobshite.
    Hey, fair enough.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!