Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky Holmes - Our best / most effective attacking player since....

13»

Comments

• Options
    John Robinson - but with classy free kicks added.
  • Options
    Yann. JBG was good but didn't have the inventiveness in open play that Ricky does. Marcus Maddison looked a touch better winger for me, in that he had a bit more pace and was more creative: although he didn't score as much last season.
  • Options
    Different era's but Mike Flannagan, Paul Walsh, Martin Robinson, Andy Hunt, Kins & the ever moaning John Robinson.
  • Options
    Difficult to say because of the crap league we find ourselves in . But for sheer work rate alone , he is up there with Parker and Robinson .
  • Options
    Kerm up top with Bent in their primes would have been outrageous
  • Options

Cant really compare Mendonca | Holmes | JBG though as they're completely different players

Holmes has the ability to get past anyone and stick it in the net from anywhere on the pitch... Mendonca on the other hand was a proper Striker who was damned good at getting himself into the right positions, definitely didnt have the pace or skill to take on half a team... Same with Gudmundsson who was more a David Beckham type winger, i.e. was quick but not THAT quick yet had a brilliant peg on him!!

I dont remember much of him but would you have to go back to Paul Mortimer or John Robinson (Who I definitely remember) to find someone very similar to that of Ricky Holmes? - Definitely havent been many wide midfielders over the years in a Charlton shirt who could even come close to the consistency of what Holmes does.

Mortimer would be your closest comparison, Robinson couldn't waltz past three or four players the way Mortimer did against Bradford(?) in the 4-1 win for example.
  • Options
    He reminds me a bit of Robinson. Not necessarily in style but definitely in attitude. He's a gem. Hope he stays injury free for the next couple of years and gets a crack at the Premier League with us....when the Aussies take us there.
  • Options
    Was the best attacking player at the club since Lookman left, and he in turn was the best since Kermorgant.
    Most talented player in the squad currently is Jay Dasilva.
  • Options

Was the best attacking player at the club since Lookman left, and he in turn was the best since Kermorgant.
    Most talented player in the squad currently is Jay Dasilva.

I think that is tough on Rick, his technical ability is marvellous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saturday certainly proved what type of player he is.

Since Walsall he's been a bit rusty, by which I mean things havent quite come off and he's not played brilliantly.

Regardless though you always know that he's only one moment away from his goal against Walsall / Wimbledon and that type of player really is priceless and as proven with past players (Scott Parker etc.) they're very difficult to replace
  • Options
    I hope we can rest him if he needs it. He's the most important player in the team. Hopefully Marshall can take a little wing play pressure of him.
  • Options
    We need to keep this quiet. If uncle Fester and Morticia are still in the drunk driving seat come January someone will cross their palms with silver... and it will be goodbye Ricky.
  • Options

We need to keep this quiet. If uncle Fester and Morticia are still in the drunk driving seat come January someone will cross their palms with silver... and it will be goodbye Ricky.

Can see Sheff Utd coming back in for him, especially if they are there or there about in the chase for the title.
  • Options

Can see Sheff Utd coming back in for him, especially if they are there or there about in the chase for the title.
    We'll compromise and advise them to sign Joe Dodoo on loan from Rangers instead

It'll be like getting one of those "Have a free Goal" cards in some board game that can only be used once
  • Options

Not a chance.
    If they are heading for the premiership they will be looking far higher up the food chain than our Ricky.
    Thank fuck
  • Options

Beardface said:

Andy Reid was the last player to have as much of an impact on the team for me.

This. The OP was the best attacking midfielder & none of D Bent, Mendonca, Kermorgant fit this category. JBG comes close, but imo he was a winger. Kins comes pretty close too, then Bowyer.
    I'm inclined to agree that Reid was very similar, and always able to inspire. Rarely a bad game.

Holmes isn't always brilliant, but, he is really quite exceptional for this level and it's a mystery to me why he hasn't been playing higher for some time.
  • Options
    Amazed there's been no mention of Paul Benson....

I've always has a soft spot for players like Martin Pringle, Radostin Kishishev or Keith Jones (our own, brought through,always as well).

After the mention of Mark Kinsella, was anyone else mystified when we sold him just after bringing in his international partner (following Roy Keane's hissy fit)? I would have thought there was a season at least in the pairing.

On his day, obviously, Andy Hunt could be brilliant (even unplayable), and Clive Mendonca gave me the happiest day of my life (and the Wembley final was great too).
  • Options
    Kins’ knees were fooked, along with the rise of Parker, his days of first choice midfielder were numbered.