Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Battle of Graveney Marsh

The last action involving a foreign enemy on British soil took place on September 27 1940 between the crew of a downed German bomber and a company of British soldiers who had been holed up in a pub.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/7956015/Kent-battle-between-German-bomber-crew-and-British-soldiers-marked-after-70-years.html

Comments

• Options
    Fascinating story which ultimately showed true British spirit at the very end of it...

Incredibly, the British even had a pint of beer with the German airmen back at the pub before the PoWs were picked up
  • Options
    I see the pub is still there. Might like to pay homage at sometime. Sadly they don't make anything of it on their website and seem more interested in their gastronomy: http://thesportsmanseasalter.co.uk/index.php
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The Sportsmans food is as good as it gets. Without doubt one of the finest restaurants, if not the finest, to be found anywhere in Kent. It has had Michelin star ratings for many a year.
    People travel from far and wide.
    Sunday lunch in particular is superb.......however you will need to book well in advance.
    Not cheap one has to say but it's a treat and a gastronomic experience I guarantee you will carry with you for the rest of your days.
    Go on, treat yourself........you only live once!
  • Options

The last action involving a foreign enemy on British soil took place on September 27 1940 between the crew of a downed German bomber and a company of British soldiers who had been holed up in a pub.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/7956015/Kent-battle-between-German-bomber-crew-and-British-soldiers-marked-after-70-years.html

I'm picturing the scene......an amazing piece of local history and I'm glad it's to be officially recognised.
  • Options
    Soundas, I'm not much of a foodie. Can I go in for a pint only?
  • Options
    "Don't tell him Pike...doh!"
  • Options

The Sportsmans food is as good as it gets. Without doubt one of the finest restaurants, if not the finest, to be found anywhere in Kent. It has had Michelin star ratings for many a year.
    Sunday lunch in particular is superb.......however you will need to book well in advance.
    Not cheap one has to say but it's a treat and a gastronomic experience I guarantee you will carry with you for the rest of your days.

I found it over priced, pretentious, over salted and under cooked, but each to his own!

They seem to have forgotten that they are a pub..
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I'm picturing the scene......an amazing piece of local history and I'm glad it's to be officially recognised.
    I think it already has, that report's 7 years old! I'm not that keen on the Daily Mail, but its report has some extra pictures of the plane and the German officer that was captured, plus my Grandad showing off his medals :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Addickted said:

I found it over priced, pretentious, over salted and under cooked, but each to his own!

It's a gastro pub in the truest sense of the word.....more restaurant than pub.
    During the day and weekday evenings it has more of a pub feel to it, though the bar from where the drinks are served is in itself quite small, which is quite often the case with gastro pubs. Is it a pub or is it a restaurant, you decide.
    They would be mortified to hear what you say about the food.......I have eaten there at least a dozen times and never found anything to be undercooked or over salted and I have never had a dish that I didn't like. If it were, how on earth would it get such fantastic reviews and Michelin Stars?
    I've also gone there each time with family or friends and have never heard a bad word spoken about the food.....only about the price.
    Pretentious Mmmmmm...that's subjective isn't it, one could say that about many restaurants that serve up Michelin standard food, yes, they do take themselves very seriously, if that's what you mean by pretentious.
    You've torn the place to pieces there Nick, which is in my opinion very unfair.
    Overpriced is about the only thing I agree with you on......though in fairness to him, he must have a hefty wage bill because all the kitchen staff are top drawer and he will no doubt be paying top West End dollar to keep them there.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Soundas, I'm not much of a foodie. Can I go in for a pint only?

Yes....but at busy times it doesn't have much of a pub feel about it, then again at quiet times it doesn't feel much like a restaurant......if you see what I mean.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great story thanks
  • Options

Addickted said:

It's a gastro pub in the truest sense of the word.....more restaurant than pub.
    During the day and weekday evenings it has more of a pub feel to it, though the bar from where the drinks are served is in itself quite small, which is quite often the case with gastro pubs. Is it a pub or is it a restaurant, you decide.
    They would be mortified to hear what you say about the food.......I have eaten there at least a dozen times and never found anything to be undercooked or over salted and I have never had a dish that I didn't like. If it were, how on earth would it get such fantastic reviews and Michelin Stars?
    I've also gone there each time with family or friends and have never heard a bad word spoken about the food.....only about the price.
    Pretentious Mmmmmm...that's subjective isn't it, one could say that about many restaurants that serve up Michelin standard food, yes, they do take themselves very seriously, if that's what you mean by pretentious.
    You've torn the place to pieces there Nick, which is in my opinion very unfair.
    Overpriced is about the only thing I agree with you on......though in fairness to him, he must have a hefty wage bill because all the kitchen staff are top drawer and he will no doubt be paying top West End dollar to keep them there.
    Perhaps a little unfair, as I've only been once and had the taster menu. But I did find it all really over salted.

I also prefer to leave a tip for good service rather than be charged a 'service charge'. I do expect if I've bought something off the menu they could actually bring it to my table.

The Master Brew was also not up to standard, which may have put me off on the wrong foot to start with.
  • Options

Well regarded by other chefs