Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Celebrities That Are Still Alive

Comments

• edited June 2018

Beverly Cleary.

Not a celebrity as such so I'll take the wrath of @Riviera but, at 102 and a certified 'living legend', I think she deserves a special mention.

Blimey.
    Remember reading the Ramona books and mouse and the motorcycle in primary school.
  • LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

There's Len, sucking up to Riv with a cricket player...

It will still probably be a 'NO' even though John Reid is arguably second only to Richard Hadlee as New Zealand's most eminent test cricketer.
    "Arguably" is the operative word there Len. I can remember his world record number of 6s at the Basin Reserve in the 1960s and what a shame he was ahead of his time for ODIs.

My vote though would go, after Richard Hadlee, to Bert Sutcliffe and there is a Bert Sutcliffe Medal awarded each year to an outstanding kiwi cricketer. He made a couple of triple centuries but his most talked about innings would probably be his 80 not out in Johannesburg in the 1950s. He returned to the wicket swathed in bandages after being hit on the head by a Neil Adcock bouncer and continued his assault on the bowling with a number of sixes. When the ninth wicket fell the players were ready to go home. Bob Blair, NZ number 11, was thought to be back in his hotel distraught at the news his sister had been killed in the Tangiwai train disaster two days before, strode to the wicket in front of a silent crowd of 23,000. The pair put on 33 runs in 10 minutes before Blair was out and NZ suffered a heavy defeat. But a NZ cricket writer was moved to write "It was a great and glorious victory, a story every New Zealand boy should learn at his mother's knee"

• LenGlover said:

Another one down.

RIP Mary Wilson.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44395291

Look at Harold checking out HRH 'arris.
  • LenGlover said:

Another one down.

RIP Mary Wilson.

Wife of a civil servant. No chance...
  • LenGlover said:

Another one down.

RIP Mary Wilson.

Mentioned on the thread by @Chizz in September 2017 without a 'chirp' in response.....
  • Do you not know what tacit means?
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Another one down.

RIP Mary Wilson.

Mentioned on the thread by @Chizz in September 2017 without a 'chirp' in response.....
    Impressive recall again Len ... could you recite the list too? Although I know its not for publication :smile:
  • On the list already but I see 90 year-old Fenella Fielding picked up and OBE in the honours list.

She should say to the Queen "Mind if I smoke"!
  • Did anyone mention Eunice Gayson when she turned 90. She was the first ever Bond girl in the 60's so she easily qualifies for this thread.

Unfortunately though, she has just recently died.
  • Sponsored links:

• Did anyone mention Eunice Gayson when she turned 90. She was the first ever Bond girl in the 60's so she easily qualifies for this thread.

Unfortunately though, she has just recently died.

Well you'll never know will you?
  • I can't believe we've all missed this one!

The great John Woodcock former cricket correspondent of The Times

Born 7 August 1926.
  • Robbie Williams still I’m afraid.
  • Basil Brush is 50. According to this calculator https://easycalculation.com/other/fun/Human-years-to-Fox-years.html that makes him 285 and a half in human terms. Boom boom.
  • Yoshiro Nakamatsu the Japanese inventor is 90 today. At the last count he held over 3,200 patents. Including such delights as a condom with a built-in magnet and a self-defence wig.
    It seems he comes up with his best ideas while under water.
  • Double fail there @cafcfan
  • Frank Windsor
  • Riviera said:

Frank Windsor

Keep up already mentioned :wink:
  • LenGlover said:

Frank Windsor

John Watt in Z Cars and Softly Softly amongst many other roles

From November 2017
  • Riviera said:

HarryLime said:

At the risk of one of Chirpy's "Zzzzz" or a straight dismissal for not being well-known enough, American playwright Neil Simon is 90.

Excellent add again @HarryLime. You really have got the hang of my thread. Love The Odd Couple.
    Another one bites the dust.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Peter Pan!
  • shirty5 said:

Leslie Phillips

I say.
  • Nicholas Roeg joined the club last month.
  • Has anyone mentioned Sandy Gall? He's still knocking about.
  • edited October 2018
    Robert Desmond born 29 March 1924

Starred in 'Compact' a BBC sixties soap and also appeared in 'The Army Game' which was the forerunner of 'Bootsie and Snudge' both sixties comedies. He also had a minor role in 'The Great Escape.'

EDIT: Died in 2002 so ignore!!!
  • LenGlover said:

Starred in 'Compact' a BBC sixties soap and also appeared in 'The Army Game' which was the forerunner of 'Bootsie and Snudge' both sixties comedies. He also had a minor role in 'The Great Escape.'

You could just delete it yourself @LenGlover
  • Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

You could just delete it yourself @LenGlover
    I could and I still may yet but having typed it all out only to see something another source saying he snuffed it I didn't feel like doing it then.
  • Saw Quentin Blake's name trending on twitter this morning, think he might be one for this list as i immediately thought the worst when i saw it.
  • edited October 2018
    Neil Harvey last surviving member of Don Bradman's 1948 'invincibles' who thrashed anything that moved when touring England.

Born 8 October 1928 so as a resident of Australia he is 90 today!