Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Celebrities That Are Still Alive

Comments

• At the risk of one of Chirpy's "Zzzzz" or a straight dismissal for not being well-known enough, American playwright Neil Simon is 90.
  • HarryLime said:

At the risk of one of Chirpy's "Zzzzz" or a straight dismissal for not being well-known enough, American playwright Neil Simon is 90.

Excellent add again @HarryLime. You really have got the hang of my thread. Love The Odd Couple.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Being an astronaut does not make you a celebrity unless you are Neil Armstrong. It's just a job.
    Statute of limitations applies Chirps, too slow old son. 11 days later... FFS...

Anyway if A) Tom Hanks has played you on film, you are a celebrity and B ) Musician, footballer, author etc etc are also "just a job" so stop being a twat (especially on a Friday). :wink:
    It's my thread and my rules.
    Jim Lovell less famous than Denis Norden or Pete Murray? I don't think so... :smiley:
    I've never heard of Jim Lovell and I've seen the film.
    The name Jim Lovell is mildly familiar.....but definitely not a household name like Dennis Norden and Pete Murray.

• Riviera said:

HarryLime said:

At the risk of one of Chirpy's "Zzzzz" or a straight dismissal for not being well-known enough, American playwright Neil Simon is 90.

Excellent add again @HarryLime. You really have got the hang of my thread. Love The Odd Couple.

But a celebrity ?
  • MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

HarryLime said:

But a celebrity ?
    Dennis and Pete are household names because they are English. If Jim Lovell was English and part of a European space program and gone up to the moon a couple of times he would have qualified for this thread - but his accomplishments would have been the same.

I'm not trying to stir it up (much)
  • Lead singer from Curiosity Killed The cat, on First Dates now
  • Lead singer from Curiosity Killed The cat, on First Dates now

What a state he is, ravaged by drink & drugs.
  • MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

HarryLime said:

But a celebrity ?
    Dennis and Pete are household names because they are English. If Jim Lovell was English and part of a European space program and gone up to the moon a couple of times he would have qualified for this thread - but his accomplishments would have been the same.

I'm not trying to stir it up (much)
    When Tim Peake reaches 90 he will NOT qualify for this thread,
  • I may be a lone voice here, but I rather admire the way that @Riviera has policed managed his thread. He has taken complete ownership and the responsibility to build the brand. The thread has now received over 9000 views and 350 comments. It also has the ability to grow as other personalities (as @Riviera sees it) reach the milestone age. After all, one never saw Ferguson or Clough kowtow to those who who stood in the way they managed. They were never worried about being popular or even fair, it was all about the business.

… Oh by the way, can I have Irv Williams? 98, saxophonist, played with Ella Fitzgerald, Mary Lou Williams and Billy Eckstine and very popular in Minnesota … (and amongst his mates.)
  • Sponsored links:

• I may be a lone voice here, but I rather admire the way that @Riviera has policed managed his thread. He has taken complete ownership and the responsibility to build the brand. The thread has now received over 9000 views and 350 comments. It also has the ability to grow as other personalities (as @Riviera sees it) reach the milestone age. After all, one never saw Ferguson or Clough kowtow to those who who stood in the way they managed. They were never worried about being popular or even fair, it was all about the business.

… Oh by the way, can I have Irv Williams? 98, saxophonist, played with Ella Fitzgerald, Mary Lou Williams and Billy Eckstine and very popular in Minnesota … (and amongst his mates.)

They aren't really of the calibre of Pete Murray, so I wouldn't hold your hopes up. Obviously Chirps has the final say.
  • Tommy Docherty
  • Ferguson and Clough could recognise famous footballers though.

Creep :wink:
  • LenGlover said:

Tommy Docherty

Bit slow there for you Len, he's been 90 for days! Good one anyway, keep it up.
  • Brian Murphy of George n Mildred fame lives in Bromley. I still see him wandering around regularly.

You don’t think he’s lost do you?
    Lives opposite Shortlands station.
    Not for much longer:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16213115.Celebrity_couple_selling_historic_Shortlands_home/
  • Brian Murphy of George n Mildred fame lives in Bromley. I still see him wandering around regularly.

You don’t think he’s lost do you?
    Lives opposite Shortlands station.
    Not for much longer:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16213115.Celebrity_couple_selling_historic_Shortlands_home/
    Irrelevant news as he does not qualify anyway.
  • Now you can have Burt Bacharach @Carter
  • Bill Slater England International footballer. Born 29 April 1927.Played all England's matches in the 1958 World Cup and Wolves was his club at the time. His daughter is Barbara Slater who commentates on gymnastics and is the first female Director of Sport at the BBC.
  • Sponsored links:

• HarryLime said:

LenGlover said:

Bill Slater England International footballer. Born 29 April 1927.Played all England's matches in the 1958 World Cup and Wolves was his club at the time. His daughter is Barbara Slater who commentates on gymnastics and is the first female Director of Sport at the BBC.

Chirps wont let you have Bill on the list, he may have an OBE and a CBE and played in all of an English World Cup campaign but he didn't present The Eurovision Song Contest like Pete Murray, so I'm guessing it'll be a no.
    Correct Harry.
  • Just an observation, but Chirpy's opinion is irrelevant. As irrelevant as mine.
    If the name is on this thread, it's on the "list". He talks about making the cut, but aside from the OP, there isn't a "list"...apart from the thread itself.
    Now, if Chirpy could get off his backside and compile an actual up to date list, he might have a point, but all he's done so far is grumpily shout "NO" at suggestions he doesn't like.
    Not that any of this matters of course, it's just trivia ffs.
    :smiley:
  • Of course my opinion is relevant. It is my thread so it's my rules.
  • Joss Ackland
  • I'll get in first

DEREK UFTON is 90 on Thursday.
  • I'll get in first

DEREK UFTON is 90 on Thursday.

Nope sorry he's too young so doesn't make the list.
  • Yes he does
  • edited May 2018

Yes he does

NO HE DOESN'T! He is too young!
  • Can I come back in an hour and a half?

As a matter of interest have we any other 90 year old former players or current fans? Should be a roll of honour.