Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many teams in L1 have a strong squad?

The excuse keeps being trotted out we're doing badly because of a weak squad but is it really that much worse than the majority of teams in L1?

With the right manager and the current squad should we be looking at a playoff place or is our squad not up to it?

The Bury squad didn't look particularly strong yet they were well organised and held out relatively comfortably against us on Saturday for a draw.

Would another manager make a difference or are we just destined for L1 mediocrity or worse until RD sells up?

Comments

• Options
    With the right manager and the current squad should we be looking at a playoff place or is our squad not up to it?

We should be making playoffs. I can't see us doing anything special though, not under Robinson.

I'll take us scraping play offs, followed by promotion.
  • Options
    Very true, we're similar to lots of other squads in this division.

Hence why were 7th and not points clear despite having the richest owner in the league and one of the highest wage bills.

It's being similar to Bury or Scunthorpe that people are unhappy about.

A thin squad is a reason, with our resources it shouldn't be an excuse.
  • Options
    Doing badly have a day off
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It's really only our lack of proper striker options.

But it could prove to be the achilles heel of the team effort this season.
    I can't imagine there's another team in the division with a squad lacking so obviously in striker cover.

• Options
    In defence and central midfield we have very strong options and cover and even in the attacking midfield roles we should have enough options, we have been a bit unlucky with Marshall and Reeves but once they are back in we have no issues. The lack of cover up top is the real issue and there is no excuse for having only one proven striker in the squad.
  • Options
    Problem is we are relying on our midfielders to score goals, the majority of these goals will come from outside the box and that's not going to happen every game. Maggneis I think will hit 10-15 goals, the man is brilliant in the air but not every cross is going to hit the desired target. We have no one who can pick up the scraps in and around the six yard box, that's what we are missing. How many stunning goals (either on an individual or team basis) have we scored this year and how many scraps have we got in and around the six yard box.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I actually think it's more complicated than our well documented lack of strikers/ cover.

We have conceded more goals than any team above us (12) and you need to look at Fleetwood in tenth place to find the next highest team conceding more. (15)

Interestingly tomorrow's opponents Wallsall in thirteenth place are the next team conceding more than us on 16. They also score goals too. 13 which might make for another high scoring game.

I think there are problems at both ends to be honest.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    our squad is unbalanced .. too light on 'strikers', too many (inexperienced) midfielders, too many central defenders, too few full backs and a goalkeeper short .. also we lack 'muscle' in the side .. too many small players ..
    and yes I know that 'Barca' had a few shrimps in their glorious heyday but they were backed up by some big uns as well
  • Options
    but I avoided the question .. number wise we are on a par with and better than most .. but as above, the question is one of balance
  • Options
    The squad is a few players short but some exaggerate the problem. It's ok to have a few youngsters on the bench and if they're good enough they should definitely be part of the squad.

I guess the concern is if we get 4/5 injuries we'll be playing several inexperienced players together. Another weakness is perhaps that the squad is set up for 4-2-3-1, we don't really have the players to adapt to say 4-4-2 and a more direct physical game.

We haven't had 5/6 players feature in 40+ league games since Powell was here. If the team is more settled and fitness managed better we shouldn't pick up as many injuries and depth won't be as much of an issue as in the last few years.

We should have had another proven striker and a winger rather than KAG to give us 2 per position for the '3'.

An experienced CM would have been nice but Konsa, Aribo and Dijksteel all have potential. Would rather have them than Crofts or similar.

Ideally we'd have signed GK and sent Phillips on loan, but that's more of a problem for Phillips himself than a weakness to the squad.

We'll get by with Dijksteel, Konsa or Barnes covering Solly. Need Page fit to cover Dasilva - hopefully he'll improve on his performances last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Problem is we are relying on our midfielders to score goals, the majority of these goals will come from outside the box and that's not going to happen every game. Maggneis I think will hit 10-15 goals, the man is brilliant in the air but not every cross is going to hit the desired target. We have no one who can pick up the scraps in and around the six yard box, that's what we are missing. How many stunning goals (either on an individual or team basis) have we scored this year and how many scraps have we got in and around the six yard box.

JFC is the one player (who like Jacko) likes bursting late into the box, based on that I can see him scoring more goals than Clarke this season

I actually think it's more complicated than our well documented lack of strikers/ cover.

We have conceded more goals than any team above us (12) and you need to look at Fleetwood in tenth place to find the next highest team conceding more. (15)

Interestingly tomorrow's opponents Wallsall in thirteenth place are the next team conceding more than us on 16. They also score goals too. 13 which might make for another high scoring game.

I think there are problems at both ends to be honest.

Agreed, the lack of clean sheets is very concerning, our midfield is too easily bypassed, with defensive weaknesses especially down the flanks.
  • Options
    Related to my post just above. In reality we've had a very near full strength side for most of our games, Marshall and Reeves aside. Yet we are conceding far to many goals for a team looking at promotion. Until we address issues at both ends of the pitch with a striker in January and some serious defensive coaching then I don't see a promotion push at all.
  • Options
    In terms of wages, I doubt anyone, other than perhaps Blackburn or Wigan, will have such a highly paid bench sitter as Naby Sarr
  • Options

our squad is unbalanced .. too light on 'strikers', too many (inexperienced) midfielders, too many central defenders, too few full backs and a goalkeeper short .. also we lack 'muscle' in the side .. too many small players ..
    and yes I know that 'Barca' had a few shrimps in their glorious heyday but they were backed up by some big uns as well

We are not a keeper short, and should be fine at FB when Page is back. The squad is certainly unbalanced, I would say we are 1 short in terms of numbers.

If I could change squad tomorrow, I would sign a striker and a CM, and get rid of a CB (Lennon).

I also don't agree with the Barcelona comment, they probably only had 2/3 players that were 6 foot plus, but it's irrelevant as they had 85% of the ball and the Spanish league is completely different.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

This doing badly thing - it’s been going on for nearly 4 years now!
  • Options

He better get more than 10, he has 4 already. 15 must be a minimum
  • Options

We are not a keeper short, and should be fine at FB when Page is back. The squad is certainly unbalanced, I would say we are 1 short in terms of numbers.

If I could change squad tomorrow, I would sign a striker and a CM, and get rid of a CB (Lennon).

I also don't agree with the Barcelona comment, they probably only had 2/3 players that were 6 foot plus, but it's irrelevant as they had 85% of the ball and the Spanish league is completely different.
    They also had a little number 10 who was pretty good
  • Options

not a patch on Billy Clarke
  • Options

Lionel Messi, the poor man's Ben Reeves
  • Options

Related to my post just above. In reality we've had a very near full strength side for most of our games, Marshall and Reeves aside. Yet we are conceding far to many goals for a team looking at promotion. Until we address issues at both ends of the pitch with a striker in January and some serious defensive coaching then I don't see a promotion push at all.

I disagree regarding our inability to push for the playoffs as things stand, but agree otherwise--particularly that we need to get better at the back. And it's easy to see in games. Our defenders sit too deep, other teams double up on our fullbacks, and we concede goals. The Wigan, Gillingham, and Bury goals were all very similar. I think Robinson needs to spend more time on drilling his back 4 to hold a higher line (and he has mentioned this). And also, we need to work on our defensive shape when the other team has a sustained spell of possession--maintaining a better defensive shape.

When defending, a 4-2-3-1 can become two banks of four. Both Holmes and Fosu have good moments of tracking back, but they need to have better situational awareness on when to gamble and when to sit deeper, and then how to help protect their fullbacks when they do sit deeper.

One other thing Robinson mentioned before the Bury game I think it was, is that sometimes Billy Clarke drops too deep. It was desperately evident against Wigan where, when we struggled in the game he went looking for it. And that can be a good thing, but it's situational understanding again of when to drop deep looking for the ball, and when it's important to stay higher up the pitch to stop supply lines and to keep their midfield from pressing too far forward.

Lastly, we talk about no injuries other than Reeves and Marshall, but those are two really, really crucial players. Reeves is a very good player at this level and Marshall was one of the best in the league last year. Just because they haven't played for us this season doesn't mean we're not missing them. Robinson was clearly meticulous when putting the team together, and he clearly anticipated having both of them. If we had both of them fit, we would absolutely have more options on the bench to change games. Hopefully they'll get fit and get a run in the side and we'll see just what we've been missing to this point.

Also, we are still missing Page, who could help give DaSilva a break.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The squad is thin, just look at the bench for the last couple of matches? No one on the bench was capable of changing the game.
  • Options

clb74 said:

And everything was cushty the few years before them 4 otto
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    cafc999 said:

The squad is thin, just look at the bench for the last couple of matches? No one on the bench was capable of changing the game.

The squad is thin. Maybe not in raw numbers, but certainly thin in respect that we don't have much talent outside of our first eleven and due to the make up of the squad, we lack options in terms of formation. It was a huge mistake not to bring in a recognised striker to push Magennis or to play alongside him should we need a change of formation. That mistake may well cost us promotion. Whilst we may sign someone in January, it's a long way off at the moment, and Roland's usual modus operandi is to get rid of a player or two around that time too. The chances are we'll bring someone in, but it's likely we'll lose someone decent at the same time, thus not changing much at all.
  • Options
    For what its worth.......

Other teams in L1 do not have - on the whole - stronger squads than us.

Our squad is strong enough to do well, and, we have a manager with a record of success at this level. He also appears to have had some say (more say?) in who joins the club than others in his position since early 2014.

Our downside is not having a simple robust 15/20 goals a season L1 striker. Clearly we thought we would get that with Ajose + Novak. Clearly both failed. Why? Poor attitude? (Ajose). Loss of form or unreliable form in the first place? (Novak).

Game after game shows us with most of the possession + plenty of attempts on goal but failing to put them away.

The lack of a good striker isn't fatal: if we keep it tight at the back and Magennis + Holmes keep knocking them in we'd make the play-offs in my view.

But come January......we need to say goodbye to Ahearne-Grant (what is it now, 25 games and 1 goal?) and bring in someone good at this level.
  • Options

Our squad is strong enough to do well, and, we have a manager with a record of success at this level. He also appears to have had some say (more say?) in who joins the club than others in his position since early 2014.

Our downside is not having a simple robust 15/20 goals a season L1 striker. Clearly we thought we would get that with Ajose + Novak. Clearly both failed. Why? Poor attitude? (Ajose). Loss of form or unreliable form in the first place? (Novak).

Game after game shows us with most of the possession + plenty of attempts on goal but failing to put them away.

The lack of a good striker isn't fatal: if we keep it tight at the back and Magennis + Holmes keep knocking them in we'd make the play-offs in my view.

But come January......we need to say goodbye to Ahearne-Grant (what is it now, 25 games and 1 goal?) and bring in someone good at this level.

Mag on course for 20 this season
  • Options
    Great midfield, solid defence, questionable goalie situation and laughable striking options
  • Options

If KR continues with one up front, and Magennis is the main man, then even if the money is available, it's never going to be easy to attract a decent striker just to come and warm the bench.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

And everything was cushty the few years before them 4 otto
    Well......we were in a higher division (had finished 9th the season before and probably would have made the play offs had the season gone on for a few more games. We had reached the 1/4 final of the FA Cup, the season before we won the league (we are currently languising in)by a record number of points. We had a top quality striker that the fans loved, a good manager and a decent team - plenty of spirit and ones that the fans could relate to and were proud of.

To be honest, I would take League 2 under new ownership than the absolute misery that the current ones serve up season in season out.

Not really seen much progress in 4 years have we? All we have seen is a turnover of inept managers, a revolving door of mainly dross players and a number of fans who don’t want to go and watch “their team”.

Robinson has steadied the ship and brought in a better quality of player it has to be said, but ultimately we are up shit creek without a paddle.

Supporting Charlton never really is cushty - I don’t expect it to be.
  • Options

Great midfield, solid defence, questionable goalie situation and laughable striking options

I’m really not sure where this perception that we have a solid defence comes from. We’ve shipped more goals than anyone above us and you need to look at Fleetwood in tenth place to find anyone letting in more.

It’s not only at striker we need to do better.