Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Attendance yesterday

edited September 2017 in General Charlton
Bit alarming, wasn't it?

Nice sunny Saturday, team had an ok start to the season. Looking round seeing it so empty is pretty demoralising.

Noticeable thing was there was a well publicised £5 offer this week in the North Lower and a supposed flooding of Greenwich Uni students. Yet the North Lower looked no more populated than normal, probably less busy than the other Saturday games.

I know full well it's the Roland / Katrien effect and we 'just have to get used to it', but crowd wise even with some success it's going to be a long haul to getting crowds back up in the future.

Selling just 2k tickets for that Legends game was a real eye-opener to many who thought that 10k fans disillusioned with the regime will just turn up again.

So many lifetime fans of 20,30,40 years have just literally parked it. Makes me so demoralised and angry at what has evolved over the last few years, i fear the impact is going to be so long-lasting.

Thoughts?

Comments

• It is what it is I'm afraid.
    Until Roland departs I cannot see an upturn in our attendance or anything else I'm afraid.
  • Had I not been otherwise engaged I would've gone to the legends game I think

It was a shame it was a low attendance as the CACT deserved more in terms of numbers.

Didn't go yesterday but that was because I was on a stag do in Liverpool, so didn't get to see the sparcity

The impact of the last 3 years has certainly hit home now. i'll always be there regardless of owners, but for many I feel that it's 'not a penny more' until they're gone
  • I don't think the £5 offer was well publicised, other than here I saw nothing about it.
    The cheap season tickets for the lower has split up all the singers so the noise from the Covered end is muted.
    The verdict on Robinson is still out for a lot of people, so the `Robinsons red army' never seems to get going.
    I've got the hump.
  • The quality of the football in this division is poor and the alternatives (non-football, Kodi showing all Premier League games at 3pm on the tele and Charlton being available on iFollow for £5) are more tempting in light of it.

Yesterday, despite having a season ticket, I decided to stay home and watch it on my iPad - and I’m glad I did. That is going to happen more and more until the quality of football and the atmosphere improves.

It’s not about money and, for me, it’s not a statement against the owners. I just no longer fancy it as much. Charlton used to be such a significant part of my life, and now it is not. I’m not sure what it would take to change that back. I’ll always be a Charlton fan and I’ml Always go to games but I just can’t see me arranging my life around them any more.
  • Might as well close the north upper if the amount of fans dwindles any less up there. If there was 9,895 fans then about 9,000 of them were out in the concourses at half time.
  • I just want Roland and his crew gone,when that happens we can begin to try and get our Charlton back...sadly,as has been mentioned there are thousands of fans who are gone for good :(
  • edited September 2017
    It seemed less people than the last few Saturday home games but not by many I don't think, this is the sort of gate we're getting. I guess a winning run add's more to the gate and a losing streak removes a few but not huge swings I wouldn't have thought.

Around 9,500 quoted home attendees is about par for the course, I suspect in reality it was more like 8-8,500 there in body.

Didn't really see any difference in the lower north although difficult from my vantage point in there, certainly didn't see any number of 'new' faces i.e. Uni students.

As the season plays out, if we're mid table or worse I suspect the number actually going will reduce further. I wonder how many bought season tickets in the lower north at the cheap rate without intending to go every game. I believe a full priced lower north ticket yesterday was £23 if you rocked up after 1, same as 8 games on the season ticket.

I don't think price is a major factor, but if we're on a bad run and you are a bit on the fence, suspect you'll not bother spending a minimum of £23..........
  • Sponsored links:

• "The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of the framework that makes up our learning to live with the one we lost."

So many people have reached stage five in the grieving process.
  • The worrying thing is that the club have no plan to try and increase attendances.
  • Rob7Lee said:

It seemed less people than the last few Saturday home games but not by many I don't think, this is the sort of gate we're getting. I guess a winning run add's more to the gate and a losing streak removes a few but not huge swings I wouldn't have thought.

Around 9,500 quoted home attendees is about par for the course, I suspect in reality it was more like 8-8,500 there in body.

Didn't really see any difference in the lower north although difficult from my vantage point in there, certainly didn't see any number of 'new' faces i.e. Uni students.

As the season plays out, if we're mid table or worse I suspect the number actually going will reduce further. I wonder how many bought season tickets in the lower north at the cheap rate without intending to go every game. I believe a full priced lower north ticket yesterday was £23 if you rocked up after 1, same as 8 games on the season ticket.

I don't think price is a major factor, but if we're on a bad run and you are a bit on the fence, suspect you'll not bother spending a minimum of £23..........

When we're away me and @Baldybonce_JNR go to the O2 or Odeon and see the latest film, have a hot dog etc for about the same as going to football.
  • double whammy .. hatred of the owner and his 'CEO' and boycotts by those committed to Duchatelet's exit

the politics surrounding ownership and management have superseded the sheer pleasure and enjoyment or the despair and annoyance inherent with just watching a game of football

a few on here who once seemed to delight in the fact that attendances were dropping and chose to never turn up to watch are now bemoaning that attendances are indeed declining .. what might be called a self fulfilling prophecy .. it's strange times indeed down SE7 way
  • edited September 2017
    In the 'good old days' in the 60s and 70s I stood on the once vast Valley terraces amongst 'crowds' of less than 4,000 ..
    even in the 1997/98 season, attendances at the start were only around 10,000 ..

check the attached wiki entry to see how attendances climbed throughout the season .. but against Sheffield United, the figure dropped below 10,000 .. there is nothing new about CAFC 'fans' being fickle in their attendance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season
  • I sense a growing realisation that it might take years to rebuild the support once Duchatelet has departed.
    What depresses me is the fear that he will hang around for years expecting somebody to pay an unrealistic price until we reach a point that we are no longer attractive to any buyer
  • Bit alarming, wasn't it?

Nice sunny Saturday, team had an ok start to the season. Looking round seeing it so empty is pretty demoralising.

Noticeable thing was there was a well publicised £5 offer this week in the North Lower and a supposed flooding of Greenwich Uni students. Yet the North Lower looked now more populated than normal, probably less busy than the other Saturday games.

I know full well it's the Roland / Katrien effect and we 'just have to get used to it', but crowd wise even with some success it's going to be a long haul to getting crowds back up in the future.

Selling just 2k tickets for that Legends game was a real eye-opener to many who thought that 10k fans disillusioned with the regime will just turn up again.

So many lifetime fans of 20,30,40 years have just literally parked it. Makes me so demoralised and angry at what has evolved over the last few years, i fear the impact is going to be so long-lasting.

Thoughts?

Bit alarming, wasn't it?

Noticeable thing was there was a well publicised £5 offer this week in the North Lower and a supposed flooding of Greenwich Uni students. Yet the North Lower looked now more populated than normal, probably less busy than the other Saturday games.

Thoughts?

Sadly, I cannot but agree with everything you say.
    My belief is that Duchatalet is something of a sociopath.
    We are dealing with a man who has no empathy or understanding of human empathy or emotions, this is often found in highly successful business men, they have no time for such frivolous attachments.
    What makes him tick are not normal or rational traits for the average citizen.
    Sociopaths can come across as very charming and plausible individuals and function quite happily in society without upsetting too many people along the way, they are not necessarily unpleasant to deal with or be around.....he is a great business man but with his football empire he has stepped outside of his comfort zone and is way way out of his depth.
    He thinks only in terms of this empire as a vision of self grandiose achievement, he feels not one jot about the attachment and feelings that us fans have invested over many decades simply because he doesn't have the same natural human instincts, he can't begin to understand it because in him those emotions either simply don't exist or at the very least mean very very little, in short he has a hollow place in his heart.
    This football empire is a plaything for him. I say this because he's losing money hand over fist, yet doesn't seem to care that much, ask yourself if he did, then wouldn't he have got rid long ago? Remind me, when was the last time he came to The Valley to actually watch us play....he has no attachment to Charlton as a football club (least ways in the way we all do) and we can do absolutely NOTHING to change that very sad state of affairs, it's deep in his DNA.
    I'm no expert in these matters but I think this is the sort of guy we are dealing with(others with more knowledge please feel free to put me straight) and for that reason we have absolutely no idea where he's taking us and more disturbingly.......I don't think he does either, because he doesn't really care!
    Is it possible for the type of person you describe to be swayed by those close to him ? TD was certainly able to convince him to buy certain players.
  • Hex said:

Bit alarming, wasn't it?

Thoughts?

Bit alarming, wasn't it?

Thoughts?

We are dealing with a man who has no empathy or understanding of human empathy or emotions, this is often found in highly successful business men, they have no time for such frivolous attachments.
    Sociopaths can come across as very charming and plausible individuals and function quite happily in society without upsetting too many people along the way, they are not necessarily unpleasant to deal with or be around.....he is a great business man but with his football empire he has stepped outside of his comfort zone and is way way out of his depth.
    He thinks only in terms of this empire as a vision of self grandiose achievement, he feels not one jot about the attachment and feelings that us fans have invested over many decades simply because he doesn't have the same natural human instincts, he can't begin to understand it because in him those emotions either simply don't exist or at the very least mean very very little, in short he has a hollow place in his heart.
    This football empire is a plaything for him. I say this because he's losing money hand over fist, yet doesn't seem to care that much, ask yourself if he did, then wouldn't he have got rid long ago? Remind me, when was the last time he came to The Valley to actually watch us play....he has no attachment to Charlton as a football club (least ways in the way we all do) and we can do absolutely NOTHING to change that very sad state of affairs, it's deep in his DNA.
    I'm no expert in these matters but I think this is the sort of guy we are dealing with(others with more knowledge please feel free to put me straight) and for that reason we have absolutely no idea where he's taking us and more disturbingly.......I don't think he does either, because he doesn't really care!
    Is it possible for the type of person you describe to be swayed by those close to him ? TD was certainly able to convince him to buy certain players.
    I honestly don't know Hex.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

I think it's been said before but regularly attending is a habit, and so many people have got out of it that even when these lot depart it will be a slog to get attendances back to where they should be as so much of what would constitute our core support are now in the habit of going to Bluewater on a Saturday instead.

This, people get in to the habit of doing other things, plus the money side of things people won't want to shell that back out again, I do a few sways and a home game here and there when I get s freebie.
  • Was KM there yesterday?
  • To be honest 2,000 for the legends game is what I would hope for, we have never been great at selling friendlies or testimonials. I think some saw the You Tube attendance and thought if they could get that then why not a game of our heroes, but You Tube games are a totally different dynamic.
  • If the owner does not want to watch us play, why should we?
  • As a parent you always want your son to follow in the team with which you support. Unfortunatly following these recent years I have chose to avoid Charlton on a Saturday afternoon and head over to Welling with my son for our football fix.
    The problem now being, my son is so into Welling, I don't have a hope in hell of getting to take to Charlton regardless of a takeover.
    I am sure I am not alone here, and a substantial amount of kids from my child's generation are not longer viable "customers".
    FFS, the entire Welling side came over and shook hands with the supporters yesterday, along with the chairman.
    I don't expect that at Charlton, but I think my point is made.
  • When you get a bigger gate for a Tuesday night v Wigan, than a Saturday afternoon game 11 days later, with similar away turn outs, either people can not be asked, or whoever loves a bit of creative arthmatic was on annual leave yesterday.
  • Bit alarming, wasn't it?

Thoughts?

Bit alarming, wasn't it?

Thoughts?

I think that's broadly right.

He persisted with his political party and it's eccentric policies for more than 10 years - despite derisory results in elections.

And to remind people of the delusional mentality of the man I attach (again) the transcript of an interview with him by a Belgian journalist in early 2015 that appeared in CAST Trust News 10, where, among other things, Duchatelet compares himself with Alan Turing and says of himself “I‘m a visionary, of course".

However, particularly after the rumours circulating earlier in the year, I think he does want to sell but is unwilling to do so for the (realistic) prices he's probably been offered. He and Night-Meire have been far more 'hands off' this season and he may be hanging on in the hope of promotion and a better price?

• We actually had the largest attendance in League 1 yesterday, and are currently 3rd in the list of average attendances. Still piss poor figures but puts it into perspective.