Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Solly

Comments

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick is married to anyone but Pearce , he has had a slight on him forever and is absent in his praise when Pearce has been as central a figure as anyone in our 5 clean sheets in 9 games under Bowyer .
    Yes he might not be the most technically gifted but to even think we'd be better off with Sarr playing , whatever league we are in is ludicrous .

Pearce is the man you want to lead you in to the battles that we will have ahead and he was the man that lead us through our recent ones, he has been immense .

We aren't Barcelona/Brazil 1970 playing pure football we are muck and bullets Charlton who need grafters .

I mean one of our finest centre halves in recent memory Rufus wasn't a ball player but he would stick his body on the line , just like Pearce .

I do, I have longstanding criticisms of Pearce. And I try really hard with things like match ratings not to let that get in the way, and not to grade him on a curve. And I'm not diminishing his role in any of the last few games. The question at play here is what would happen in the Championship, and in that scenario I think his shortcomings in our system (again, a really important caveat) would be more exposed. There will undoubtedly be games where that rough and tumble get stuck in
    As for Solly the Solly of this season will find the Championship incredibly difficult. Maybe the surgery will clear out debris that's been bothering him all year. But a new right back has to be top of the shopping list in the summer.

Unfortunately we're short on options in terms of the captaincy. It may be a priority for a new signing in the summer. But I think Kashi, Forster-Caskey, and Bauer have all done well with the armband this year. I'd be fine with any of them wearing it assuming they're here next season.
    Pretty harsh on Pearce really. Unless we're recruiting to be up there in the top 6, I would be perfectly happy to have Pearce and Bauer as my first choice CB pairing, to me his leadership skills compensate for his slight lack of pace and "ball skills". He reminds me a bit of Phil Chapple who did a good job in the 2nd tier for us
    I think Bauer, Sarr, and Konsa (not that I expect him to be here) are all better suited to the Championship. The quality in that league has improved drastically even in the last decade, and it's so much better technically and tactically. I don't think Pearce would be terrible. But he is not well suited to a style of play that gets the best of out our players.

*Should we get promoted,* we will hopefully looking to keep the tempo and pressure that Bowyer has set, but looking to do it higher up the pitch, as well as retaining possession more and trying to break teams down with possession and movement. That requires a high line and center backs who can pass the ball (Sarr, Bauer, Konsa). Pearce is not suited to a high line, he either gets sucked way up the pitch needlessly, or drops ten yards behind his defense to cover for his lack of pace. Both are bad in such a system. And when you look at some of his worst games this season, Wigan (h), Blackburn (a), Shrewsbury (h), they were all games where teams sat off him and let him have the ball, knowing he would give it back to them.

If we want to sit deep, be compact, and try to hit teams with pace on the counter going direct as our main source of attack, then Pearce is much better suited to that style. But I don't think that would utilize the likes of JFC, Aribo, Reeves, Kashi, Fosu, etc. very well.

I'm not saying I would get rid of Pearce. And I cannot measure his leadership ability, so maybe that makes up for all of the flaws in his game, I'm just not in the dressing room or on the pitch with him. But I think that over the course of the season we're going to need to show a little more than we have in the last 3(ish) games, particularly going forward (obviously not knocking it, and the way we're playing, albeit scruffy, is the type of football that is well suited to cup runs). And I think in order to do that we need to keep the ball better and look to break teams down with it, and also look to press them high up the pitch, and we're back to the scenario where Pearce struggles.

I enjoy your posts and often agree with you but really don’t get how much you rate Sarr ahead of Pearce (or, in fact, at all !).

Sarr or Bauer in the Championship would be utterly destroyed. Would far rather keep Pearce than either but if we got up we would need better than all 3 to have any impact.

Bauer played in the Championship and was not destroyed. In fact, despite playing next to either Sarr (very raw and new to the league/English football) or Diarra (not a CB), I thought Bauer looked perfectly adept at Championship level. And if nothing else Bauer has more experience in the English game now, and I personally think he's improved this season.

As for Sarr, he has had some excellent displays this season, despite struggling to get a regular run in the side at left center back. There were a couple games in which he and Konsa were exposed for their youth, though I think those were times when the entire side was exposed. But he looks a much improved player, and I think for him, playing regularly in the Championship alongside a calm head (i.e. not Harry Lennon forcing him to right center back), I think he'd adjust and fit in quite well. And his passing can make a huge difference in building from the back. I know it will be a while before memories of his first season with us are vanquished, but I think he looks a different player now.

To me Bauer, Konsa and Sarr all look their best alongside Pearce, as that gives a good combination. The experienced battler and leader alongside the pacier "footballer". Having ball playing CBs is all very well, but they need to be able to defend as well, when you're being bombarded with corners and crosses, the Championship may have improved technically, but it's not La Liga.

As for our lack of cutting edge in recent games, it's a bit harsh to blame a CB! The lack of a fit Fosu and an attacking RB are surely more of an issue

Fair point to you and cants about the Championship. You're right it's still a second tier league albeit the best one.

Regarding players looking best alongside Pearce, I'd argue Konsa and Bauer have looked their best next to each other. Actually, apart from that stretch in November/December where he was carrying a knock I think Bauer has looked good next to everyone. I don't agree that Sarr looked his best playing with Pearce (he did that what, once or twice?) but I think that's the two left footed center backs thing, so I don't read anything into that.

In me faulting Pearce for our lack of cutting edge, where did you get that? I wasn't trying to imply that at all. As you say Fosu being in and out, Mav being in and out, Zyro being in and out, not having a RB as an outlet, not having a fit and firing Aribo, all kinds of things are to blame for it. Also, and this is really important, we've been playing the best teams in the division, and within that you always expect the margins to be thin. If I seemed like i was inferring Pearce is somehow to blame I apologize, not what I meant at all. I think we build better from the back without him, but I think he's been excellent in recent weeks and I think he's joint top scorer since Bowyer took over. He didn't know a thing about either of the goals he scored, but there are no pictures on the score sheet.
  • cafctom said:

proper captains shout and lead like jackson and pearce

The loud shouting style of leading might have been relevant in the 80s but football has moved on.

Natural leaders lead regardless of who is wearing the armband.

Also, this suggestion that Solly is "quiet" on the pitch is a bit of a myth I think. Maybe many are just making assumptions on the basis that he doesn't do many interviews, but he's definitely not shy and he is vocal on the pitch.
    Agree with all of this, an excellent and very important point. I think the pointy shouty captain is an old facet of the English game that is less and less relevant.

I think some would point to the fact that Solly's form has gradually and now not so gradually dipped since he started wearing the armband regularly. But I think that's down to other factors, injuries and knee problems, catching up with him more than it's down to the armband. With Jacko leaving the playing squad it might be nice to have another captain who is more willing to do some of the off the field stuff. But more so, just as with Jackson, if Solly is captain again next year we need to have a strong vice captain (to whatever extent it matters) because we know he's not going to play 45 games in a season.
  • edited May 2018

Is Sarr injured or has Bowyer dropped him?

back in training after injury (hamstring) last week
  • Good glad they're going to honour it for him...

Who would have had the last one that was part of the playing squad? John Robinson?
  • Good on him, my favourite Charlton player since my first game 13 years ago. His goal at Blackpool is probably my favourite moment at a game I’ve been to, and we all had a perfect view of it from the stand we were sitting in. The celebrations of the players and fans told you everything you need to know about how popular he is.
  • Love the man. Great little full back, never gives up, never gives less than 100%. If it had not been for serious injuries he would have been a Premiership player. Looking forward to seeing him in action in a couple of weeks - have this awful feeling we are going to need him this season like never before!
  • se9addick said:

Every time a players gets their thread bumped I dread opening it and reading the most recent post saying “out for the season”!

A great servant to the club and fully deserves his testimonial, think he’d get a decent turn out too.

Same. As I was scrolling to find the latest post I was thinking to myself "well Anfernee did alright there last year, and Marshall could turn out to be a decent attacking fullback and I thought Yao looked decent there the other night" just trying to bargain with him getting injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Deserved .
  • Fair play, he deserves it.

He needs to improve big time this season though.
  • Not many players in the league could be at a club of 17 years

Think Jacko deserves one too
  • Gumbo said:

Not many players in the league could be at a club of 17 years

Jacko is actually a few years off getting one... Didnt join the club till 2010 whereas Solly made his debut in 2009
  • Gumbo said:

This. I know technically Jacko hasn't been here for 10 years but they could have a joint one. Both arse fans too.
  • Cant imagine arsenal would put out a strong squad
  • Good glad they're going to honour it for him...

Who would have had the last one that was part of the playing squad? John Robinson?

Cory Gibbs
  • Gumbo said:

This. I know technically Jacko hasn't been here for 10 years but they could have a joint one. Both arse fans too.
    I think Solly deserves his own undiluted testimonial. Jackson can have one next year as far as I'm concerned (as if that counts for anything).
  • Sponsored links:

• Cant imagine arsenal would put out a strong squad

Depends when it is... they had their curtain raiser against Boreham Wood prior to going to America and put out a strong squad on that occasion - As Solly says though, even I'd be surprised if we managed to get them
  • Charlton through and through,deserves a great testimonial,also against Norwich though he was very near to his best which will be great if he keeps injury free.
  • edited July 2018

Charlton through and through,deserves a great testimonial,also against Norwich though he was very near to his best which will be great if he keeps injury free.

If he is then that’ll make our first choice back four arguably the best in League One.
  • Went to the Norwich game saturday, he looked considerably fitter/sharper than last season, when each time I saw him he seemed a yard off the pace.
  • Good player if he's over the injuries. I heard Roland made sure he started games last season because of his salary.
  • edited July 2018
    Stig said:

Gumbo said:

I think Solly deserves his own undiluted testimonial. Jackson can have one next year as far as I'm concerned (as if that counts for anything).
    Really? For being too injured to be signed by anyone else? That coupled with us being unable to afford a replacement and thus renewing his deal (at least for the last 4 years)...

I love Solly, however I think a few on here love him more than he deserves because he's one of our own.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Stig said:

Gumbo said:

Really? For being too injured to be signed by anyone else? That coupled with us being unable to afford a replacement and thus renewing his deal (at least for the last 4 years)...

I love Solly, however I think a few on here love him more than he deserves because he's one of our own.
    If he was that bad I’m sure we could have signed a cheap right back on a free, or a young Prem right back on loan.

Most players looked better under Bowyer compared to the last few months under Robinson. Why not Solly? It’s not impossible for him to have a better season than the last few.
  • I hope he does.

I didn't see the Norwich game, but he hasn't had a good season in years thanks to the injuries.

My question was triggered more based around the joint testimonials tbh...
  • Redhenry said:

Good player if he's over the injuries. I heard Roland made sure he started games last season because of his salary.

Roland really is a complete cunt