Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    A bit tired of hearing that from Robinson and now the players. My hope isn't that I'll support the team all season, see us draw and lose against poor teams, in the hope that we will eventually hammer someone at some point. Give me 1-0 every day of the week.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I'd rather see Pearce take the armband, more vocal and appears to be more of a leader than Solly.

There is a difference between team and club captain...
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I'd rather see Pearce take the armband, more vocal and appears to be more of a leader than Solly.

Hate to say it, but I agree.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

There is but if the club captain is playing then he is captain. The two different captains only come into force when the club captain is injured/not playing.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Doesn't matter who wears the armband , natural leaders can still be vocal and drag their colleagues performance levels up. The armband is just a figurehead thing, Pearce will still dominate the side with his personality and dogged style.
  • Options
    personally don't think either Solly or Pearce should start many games in the Championship though.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

There is but if the club captain is playing then he is captain. The two different captains only come into force when the club captain is injured/not playing.
    surely that's where you have a captain and a vice-captain though. Don't get the need personally for a team captain and a club captain.
  • Options
    Chris Solly has pledged his future to Charlton regardless of the division they’re in next season.
    Not trying to sound harsh, but I hardly imagine that there will be loads of other clubs after him this summer anyway. Hopefully the operation will improve things, but his form has been pretty uninspiring for a while now. Indeed, it's harsh, but with his injury caused decline , is he good enough now for the Championship if we go up?

Pearce surely has to be captain anyway, certainly on the pitch. Even if Solly was playing, it would be Pearce organising things and ordering the defence around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chris Solly has pledged his future to Charlton regardless of the division they’re in next season.
    Not trying to sound harsh, but I hardly imagine that there will be loads of other clubs after him this summer anyway. Hopefully the operation will improve things, but his form has been pretty uninspiring for a while now. Indeed, it's harsh, but with his injury caused decline , is he good enough now for the Championship if we go up?

Pearce surely has to be captain anyway, certainly on the pitch. Even if Solly was playing, it would be Pearce organising things and ordering the defence around.

Agreed, certainly not captain material. Had a few chances to leave us way back but really this whole RD era has been plagued by injury. Feel sorry for him, was really good before the injuries
  • Options
    we need a new captain imo
  • Options
    I'd take Pearce over Solly as captain, but like @LargeAddick neither would be my preference. They aren't a Jacko, Webster, Kinsella or even an Andy Peake but out of what we currently have Pearce is probably best.
  • Options

personally don't think either Solly or Pearce should start many games in the Championship though.

Let's get there first before worrying if they are good enough!
  • Options
    edited May 2018

This times one thousand though I'm not convinced we'll be in the Championship next year.

But I think there's a reason Wigan were willing to let Pearce go after they got promoted with him as captain. I think he's of good League One standard (I know he spent a few years in the Championship with Leeds). I think there are times in this division where his lack of pace, mistakes in reading the game, and lack of ability on the ball have gotten him and us into real trouble. I think those are things that will only be compounded in the Championship.

As for Solly the Solly of this season will find the Championship incredibly difficult. Maybe the surgery will clear out debris that's been bothering him all year. But a new right back has to be top of the shopping list in the summer.

Unfortunately we're short on options in terms of the captaincy. It may be a priority for a new signing in the summer. But I think Kashi, Forster-Caskey, and Bauer have all done well with the armband this year. I'd be fine with any of them wearing it assuming they're here next season.
  • Options
    Wigan let him go after winning promotion, they then got relegated the next season so maybe they did miss Pearce?
  • Options

Don't get me wrong I am not getting ahead of myself!

But I would only want Solly as back up RB next year, regardless of what league we are in. I would accept Pearce as first choice CB in League 1, but definitely not the Champ.

So my point was that IF we were to get promoted, I don't see the need in discussing which one of them would be captain as I would hope neither start too often and so a new captain is needed.
  • Options

Don't get me wrong I am not getting ahead of myself!

But I would only want Solly as back up RB next year, regardless of what league we are in. I would accept Pearce as first choice CB in League 1, but definitely not the Champ.

So my point was that IF we were to get promoted, I don't see the need in discussing which one of them would be captain as I would hope neither start too often and so a new captain is needed.
    Yeah I agree. I think competition would be good for Solly. He hasn't really had any since Marco Motta/Rod Fanni, and hasn't had any for any prolonged period since maybe Lawrie Wilson (?). I think having to fight for his place would be good for him, as would having someone of quality who can provide cover meaning he doesn't have to play every single game.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

SDAddick said:

This times one thousand though I'm not convinced we'll be in the Championship next year.

But I think there's a reason Wigan were willing to let Pearce go after they got promoted with him as captain. I think he's of good League One standard (I know he spent a few years in the Championship with Leeds). I think there are times in this division where his lack of pace, mistakes in reading the game, and lack of ability on the ball have gotten him and us into real trouble. I think those are things that will only be compounded in the Championship.

As for Solly the Solly of this season will find the Championship incredibly difficult. Maybe the surgery will clear out debris that's been bothering him all year. But a new right back has to be top of the shopping list in the summer.

Unfortunately we're short on options in terms of the captaincy. It may be a priority for a new signing in the summer. But I think Kashi, Forster-Caskey, and Bauer have all done well with the armband this year. I'd be fine with any of them wearing it assuming they're here next season.
    Pretty harsh on Pearce really. Unless we're recruiting to be up there in the top 6, I would be perfectly happy to have Pearce and Bauer as my first choice CB pairing, to me his leadership skills compensate for his slight lack of pace and "ball skills". He reminds me a bit of Phil Chapple who did a good job in the 2nd tier for us
    I think Bauer, Sarr, and Konsa (not that I expect him to be here) are all better suited to the Championship. The quality in that league has improved drastically even in the last decade, and it's so much better technically and tactically. I don't think Pearce would be terrible. But he is not well suited to a style of play that gets the best of out our players.

*Should we get promoted,* we will hopefully looking to keep the tempo and pressure that Bowyer has set, but looking to do it higher up the pitch, as well as retaining possession more and trying to break teams down with possession and movement. That requires a high line and center backs who can pass the ball (Sarr, Bauer, Konsa). Pearce is not suited to a high line, he either gets sucked way up the pitch needlessly, or drops ten yards behind his defense to cover for his lack of pace. Both are bad in such a system. And when you look at some of his worst games this season, Wigan (h), Blackburn (a), Shrewsbury (h), they were all games where teams sat off him and let him have the ball, knowing he would give it back to them.

If we want to sit deep, be compact, and try to hit teams with pace on the counter going direct as our main source of attack, then Pearce is much better suited to that style. But I don't think that would utilize the likes of JFC, Aribo, Reeves, Kashi, Fosu, etc. very well.

I'm not saying I would get rid of Pearce. And I cannot measure his leadership ability, so maybe that makes up for all of the flaws in his game, I'm just not in the dressing room or on the pitch with him. But I think that over the course of the season we're going to need to show a little more than we have in the last 3(ish) games, particularly going forward (obviously not knocking it, and the way we're playing, albeit scruffy, is the type of football that is well suited to cup runs). And I think in order to do that we need to keep the ball better and look to break teams down with it, and also look to press them high up the pitch, and we're back to the scenario where Pearce struggles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Pretty harsh on Pearce really. Unless we're recruiting to be up there in the top 6, I would be perfectly happy to have Pearce and Bauer as my first choice CB pairing, to me his leadership skills compensate for his slight lack of pace and "ball skills". He reminds me a bit of Phil Chapple who did a good job in the 2nd tier for us
    I think Bauer, Sarr, and Konsa (not that I expect him to be here) are all better suited to the Championship. The quality in that league has improved drastically even in the last decade, and it's so much better technically and tactically. I don't think Pearce would be terrible. But he is not well suited to a style of play that gets the best of out our players.

*Should we get promoted,* we will hopefully looking to keep the tempo and pressure that Bowyer has set, but looking to do it higher up the pitch, as well as retaining possession more and trying to break teams down with possession and movement. That requires a high line and center backs who can pass the ball (Sarr, Bauer, Konsa). Pearce is not suited to a high line, he either gets sucked way up the pitch needlessly, or drops ten yards behind his defense to cover for his lack of pace. Both are bad in such a system. And when you look at some of his worst games this season, Wigan (h), Blackburn (a), Shrewsbury (h), they were all games where teams sat off him and let him have the ball, knowing he would give it back to them.

If we want to sit deep, be compact, and try to hit teams with pace on the counter going direct as our main source of attack, then Pearce is much better suited to that style. But I don't think that would utilize the likes of JFC, Aribo, Reeves, Kashi, Fosu, etc. very well.

I'm not saying I would get rid of Pearce. And I cannot measure his leadership ability, so maybe that makes up for all of the flaws in his game, I'm just not in the dressing room or on the pitch with him. But I think that over the course of the season we're going to need to show a little more than we have in the last 3(ish) games, particularly going forward (obviously not knocking it, and the way we're playing, albeit scruffy, is the type of football that is well suited to cup runs). And I think in order to do that we need to keep the ball better and look to break teams down with it, and also look to press them high up the pitch, and we're back to the scenario where Pearce struggles.
    I enjoy your posts and often agree with you but really don’t get how much you rate Sarr ahead of Pearce (or, in fact, at all !).

Sarr or Bauer in the Championship would be utterly destroyed. Would far rather keep Pearce than either but if we got up we would need better than all 3 to have any impact.
  • Options
    Solly for captain
  • Options
    proper captains shout and lead like jackson and pearce
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I see where you are coming from on a lot of this but I think Pearce has not been fully fit in a lot of the games we have seen him play this season. In recent weeks he has looked a lot better and think that is partly down to being over his niggling injuries. He isn't the fastest by any stretch, and no he isn't Franz Beckenbauer on the ball, but even in the Championship we would come up against a number of rough and tumble type teams - one looks set to finish second this season - so there is still a time and place for an old time English stopper. His leadership and its effect has also shone through in the last three games.
  • Options

SDAddick is married to anyone but Pearce , he has had a slight on him forever and is absent in his praise when Pearce has been as central a figure as anyone in our 5 clean sheets in 9 games under Bowyer .
    Yes he might not be the most technically gifted but to even think we'd be better off with Sarr playing , whatever league we are in is ludicrous .

Pearce is the man you want to lead you in to the battles that we will have ahead and he was the man that lead us through our recent ones, he has been immense .

We aren't Barcelona/Brazil 1970 playing pure football we are muck and bullets Charlton who need grafters .

I mean one of our finest centre halves in recent memory Rufus wasn't a ball player but he would stick his body on the line , just like Pearce .

Totally agree about Pearce recently but overall he’s not the greatest player, albeit a great leader. Will certainly put his body on the line for the cause. I don’t think he can be relied upon to have 30 decent games in the Champ though.

Agree he is a better bet then Sarr, but please don’t compare him to Rufus, there miles apart
  • Options
    edited May 2018

SDAddick is married to anyone but Pearce , he has had a slight on him forever and is absent in his praise when Pearce has been as central a figure as anyone in our 5 clean sheets in 9 games under Bowyer .
    Yes he might not be the most technically gifted but to even think we'd be better off with Sarr playing , whatever league we are in is ludicrous .

Pearce is the man you want to lead you in to the battles that we will have ahead and he was the man that lead us through our recent ones, he has been immense .

We aren't Barcelona/Brazil 1970 playing pure football we are muck and bullets Charlton who need grafters .

I mean one of our finest centre halves in recent memory Rufus wasn't a ball player but he would stick his body on the line , just like Pearce .

I do, I have longstanding criticisms of Pearce. And I try really hard with things like match ratings not to let that get in the way, and not to grade him on a curve. And I'm not diminishing his role in any of the last few games. The question at play here is what would happen in the Championship, and in that scenario I think his shortcomings in our system (again, a really important caveat) would be more exposed. There will undoubtedly be games where that rough and tumble get stuck in style of defending will be incredibly useful, as they were on Saturday, against Shrewsbury, and against Rotherham (I think, it was one of those first two games where he was absolutely immense, forgive me they're blurring together for me).

I'm not saying sell him, I'm not even saying don't make him a captain, I'm just saying that in the Championship he wouldn't be playing regularly for me.

Oh and I have Pearce way, way ahead of Lennon. I don't want to knock Lennon too heavily, he's 23/4, has had a terrible time with injury, and was probably given too much too soon (as with Sarr, more on him later), but I don't think Lennon at this point is anywhere near the quality required.

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I enjoy your posts and often agree with you but really don’t get how much you rate Sarr ahead of Pearce (or, in fact, at all !).

Sarr or Bauer in the Championship would be utterly destroyed. Would far rather keep Pearce than either but if we got up we would need better than all 3 to have any impact.
    Bauer played in the Championship and was not destroyed. In fact, despite playing next to either Sarr (very raw and new to the league/English football) or Diarra (not a CB), I thought Bauer looked perfectly adept at Championship level. And if nothing else Bauer has more experience in the English game now, and I personally think he's improved this season.

As for Sarr, he has had some excellent displays this season, despite struggling to get a regular run in the side at left center back. There were a couple games in which he and Konsa were exposed for their youth, though I think those were times when the entire side was exposed. But he looks a much improved player, and I think for him, playing regularly in the Championship alongside a calm head (i.e. not Harry Lennon forcing him to right center back), I think he'd adjust and fit in quite well. And his passing can make a huge difference in building from the back. I know it will be a while before memories of his first season with us are vanquished, but I think he looks a different player now.
  • Options
    Is Sarr injured or has Bowyer dropped him?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I do, I have longstanding criticisms of Pearce. And I try really hard with things like match ratings not to let that get in the way, and not to grade him on a curve. And I'm not diminishing his role in any of the last few games. The question at play here is what would happen in the Championship, and in that scenario I think his shortcomings in our system (again, a really important caveat) would be more exposed. There will undoubtedly be games where that rough and tumble get stuck in style of defending will be incredibly useful, as they were on Saturday, against Shrewsbury, and against Rotherham (I think, it was one of those first two games where he was absolutely immense, forgive me they're blurring together for me).

I'm not saying sell him, I'm not even saying don't make him a captain, I'm just saying that in the Championship he wouldn't be playing regularly for me.

Oh and I have Pearce way, way ahead of Lennon. I don't want to knock Lennon too heavily, he's 23/4, has had a terrible time with injury, and was probably given too much too soon (as with Sarr, more on him later), but I don't think Lennon at this point is anywhere near the quality required.

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Bauer played in the Championship and was not destroyed. In fact, despite playing next to either Sarr (very raw and new to the league/English football) or Diarra (not a CB), I thought Bauer looked perfectly adept at Championship level. And if nothing else Bauer has more experience in the English game now, and I personally think he's improved this season.

As for Sarr, he has had some excellent displays this season, despite struggling to get a regular run in the side at left center back. There were a couple games in which he and Konsa were exposed for their youth, though I think those were times when the entire side was exposed. But he looks a much improved player, and I think for him, playing regularly in the Championship alongside a calm head (i.e. not Harry Lennon forcing him to right center back), I think he'd adjust and fit in quite well. And his passing can make a huge difference in building from the back. I know it will be a while before memories of his first season with us are vanquished, but I think he looks a different player now.
    To me Bauer, Konsa and Sarr all look their best alongside Pearce, as that gives a good combination. The experienced battler and leader alongside the pacier "footballer". Having ball playing CBs is all very well, but they need to be able to defend as well, when you're being bombarded with corners and crosses, the Championship may have improved technically, but it's not La Liga.

As for our lack of cutting edge in recent games, it's a bit harsh to blame a CB! The lack of a fit Fosu and an attacking RB are surely more of an issue
  • Options
    There are plenty of limited centre backs in the championship. Outside the top teams very few have cbs that can play out from the back and are good on the ball. Look at us last time we went up - we did okay with Morro Cort and Taylor none of who were that comfortable on the ball.

Longer term I agree we should look to have better but to gradually get there. First year up we need to focus on defensive play first.