Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    agim said:

makes no difference who wears the armband really, I'm sure Solly is well respected senior pro.

having the armband or not shouldn't stop Pearce acting like a captain on the pitch and I doubt it does.

Scoham said:

agim said:

The captain is a massively important role on and off the pitch. He's the respected link between the players and the manager. I believe you do need a certain quality to be a captain.

So what are we missing out on by say Pearce wearing the armband rather than Solly? Are we playing worse because of it?
    It's hard to say without knowing the individuals. You'll see how good a captain is in times of trouble, the last 10 mins of a important game or when the team needs to buck it's ideas up.
    I've had captains ask to take the HT team talk because they weren't happy with the first half and 9 times out of 10 the performance is much improved. The team has to respect him and so does the manager.
    So you admit Solly is not the man.
  • Options
    bellz2002 said:

I'm sure I saw Solly shout and have an argument with the bench possibly Jackson in the first half. Sitting in East Stand so I could have got this completely wrong.

Probably Jacko telling him to sort them out.
  • Options
    imo you need a Kinsella type as Captain, someone who is gonna drag the team up by it's bootlaces during a game, someone who not only leads by example but encourages verbally, cajoles, bollocks when needed. Sorry but Chris Solly isn't your man.
  • Options
    agim said:

The captain is a massively important role on and off the pitch. He's the respected link between the players and the manager. I believe you do need a certain quality to be a captain.

Johnnie Jackson fulfils that role.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

agim said:

And there in lies the problem. I'm a huge fan of Jacko's and TBH would rather they stuck him on the last 10 minutes than Doodoo, he may be ageing but in the box from a corner he knows where the net is.

But you have a 'club captain' who is also part of the management set up, to me that doesn't work. Secondly therefore Solly is really only the captain on the pitch, and I don't think purely that role suits him. You need to be a natural leader and I don't think he is, Webster, Kinsella to name two had that and no doubt many others, even Peake back in the day (became a copper, enough said!).

The arm band on the pitch should have gone to Pearce and ideally JJ should have relinquished the role altogether.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

agim said:

Yeah I think it's a good idea to have Jackson doing what he's doing. On the training ground and in the changing room before the game he's probably brilliant but when that whistle blows it's a totally different ball game. Your captain needs to be playing. Its hard from the touchline to get a real feel of the game. I've had games where I've steamed into my team at half time for not playing well and my captain has argued that although the football wasn't great every player is putting the effort in and I need to give them a break.
    That's something that Jackson can't really do at the moment as he's not in the game
  • Options
    love to see him as our manager (before too much longer).
    I am convinced he could 'do a Neil Harris' and get the side he takes over, really motivated and playing competitive, aggressive, and exciting football .. I can dream can't I
  • Options
    WSS said:

May as well get Brian Blessed in to captain us if all it takes is to shout a bit

Now that would be a sight to see, but does he past the CL height test?
  • Options
    Some people are just too nice to be captain/coach/manager*. (*Delete as appropriate.)
    No one on the pitch is going to be thinking "I've really got to do the business today otherwise I'm getting decked in the changing room."
    Roy Keane, John Terry, Graeme Souness, Billy Bremner he isn't.
  • Options

WSS said:

May as well get Brian Blessed in to captain us if all it takes is to shout a bit

Dunno, but he passes the width test.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

WSS said:

Should get him to do the pitchside announcements, at least we would be able to hear them properly
  • Options
    Best player on the pitch tonight so far.
  • Options

Best player on the pitch tonight so far.

That didn't last!
  • Options
    Solly is still a quality full back at this level, but dare I say he's starting to look like a shadow of his former self
  • Options

I love the lad to bits but he natuarally a very shy person. That is not his fault. He is what he is. Pearce is probably better suited to the roll.

He appears camera shy etc. but is he shy around the rest of the squad?

I'm quite a shy person myself but know me well and I'm someone that people dont want to piss off!!
    Well he's painfully shy at the POTY "dos".
    He seemed fine at the last POTY. I would say he's one of those people who feels confident in themselves and doesn't need to make a big song and dance to get noticed - unlike Karl.
  • Options

Solly is still a quality full back at this level, but dare I say he's starting to look like a shadow of his former self

Agreed. He's imo no longer the best RB in the division.
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but for someone who was a quality Championship player with PL clubs looking at him, he now looks like a L1 level RB.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I would like to add this isn't a terrible problem as we're in League 1. He's certainly not cost us any games yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    He is painfully slow his positioning used to be so good speed didn't matter but I feel for him he is a shadow of his former self
  • Options
    He used to be absolutely exceptional. He is still very good.

And still more than worthy of being one of the first names on the teamsheet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My exact words on Saturday. Bear in mind that two years ago we were told he can't play two matches a week yet he's doing that week in week out , it can't be good for his knee .
  • Options
    Marks given so far this year show him to be our weakest link of the regular starters.

To me it suggests that he is pacing himself to play games; which is not good enough. Needs to play only every other game, dovetailing with the younger player (s).

Dyksteel my preference. Would also bring much needed height to defend set pieces.
  • Options
    The games I've watched, we've been ripped open at will down our right hand side, Wigan and Gills goals especially.
    Sadly, I think its time for a rest, and for Dijksteel to come in.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Isn't Dijksteel a cm? (predominantly)

I would think we'd be bringing in Barnes, who is faster and fitter than the lot of them if you believe the bleep test.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I would think we'd be bringing in Barnes, who is faster and fitter than the lot of them if you believe the bleep test.

He got MOM playing at right back in a friendly and looked very comfortable. He deserves the chance and Solly deserves the rest.

I would make Billy the captain.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Blimey a Chris Solly interview...

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/59cc9d4c0053e/charlton-will-give-someone-a-hiding-soon-says-chris-solly

Sadly though I dont see that hiding coming against Fleetwood OR Peterborough
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

In a recent interview, Robinson talked about his options at right back. Solly, who he says is the best in the division, Konsa and Dijksteel. No mention of Barnes, unfortunately.