Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• I still think that the only other

Lions squad announced to shadow the full team...

England Lions squad for Australia: Dom Bess (Somerset), Joe Clarke (Worcestershire), Paul Coughlin (Durham/Nottinghamshire), Alex Davies (Lancashire), Ben Duckett (Northamptonshire), George Garton (Sussex), Nick Gubbins (Middlesex), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Keaton Jennings (Durham/Lancashire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Jamie Porter (Essex), Amar Virdi (Surrey), Tom Westley (Essex), Mark Wood (Durham).

So Northeast is going straight into the test squad then?
  • Northeast is shite
  • Rob Key speaks in glowing terms of Dan Lawrence. He reckons he is going to be an England regular.
  • dickplumb said:

Rob Key speaks in glowing terms of Dan Lawrence. He reckons he is going to be an England regular.

I agree. He will be in time. Not sure he is there yet.

Couple of years and Lawrence and Hameed will be regulars. We will just be wondering who will replace broad and Anderson.
  • dickplumb said:

Rob Key speaks in glowing terms of Dan Lawrence. He reckons he is going to be an England regular.

Couple of years and Lawrence and Hameed will be regulars. We will just be wondering who will replace broad and Anderson.
    Last season they were talking about Haqib from Lancs but been quiet this year.

I agree with your comment re Northeast, Curran(s) and Plunkett, what must they be thinking. Clearly this is almost an U-23 side but in that case where are the Currna(s) ?
  • One of the things I've noticed is that Keaton Jennings is listed as Durham/Lancashire - does that mean he has also moved from Durham?
  • edited October 2017

One of the things I've noticed is that Keaton Jennings is listed as Durham/Lancashire - does that mean he has also moved from Durham?

Yes he has...

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12149/11053944/england-batsman-keaton-jennings-to-leave-durham-for-lancashire-at-end-of-season

And also Graham Onions has left Durham for Lancs too.
  • Feel sorry for Durham who have really suffered and lost more than half of their first team in the last year or so:

Graham Onions - to Lancs
    Keaton Jennings - to Lancs
    Paul Coughlin - to Notts
    Phil Mustard - to Gloucs
    Mark Stoneman - to Surrey
    Scott Borthwick - to Surrey
    Ben Stokes - to England, IPL, Big Bash etc etc
    Mark Wood - to England and injury

Botham has his work cut out.
  • dickplumb said:

I agree with your comment re Northeast, Curran(s) and Plunkett, what must they be thinking. Clearly this is almost an U-23 side but in that case where are the Currna(s) ?
    Yeah just odd all round. I get you want to take some of the younger guys on the tour and it'll be good experience for them.

But say Moeen got injured and we tried Crane but it proved to be too early for him and he struggled. Surely you want Rashid/Leach/whoever they think is next in line, already in the country, acclimatised, playing games and ready to go. Not halfway round the world eating junk food and enjoying the off season.

Strange all round.
  • Sponsored links:

• In fact, only 41 year old Collingwood and Rushworth remain playing for them from their Royal London winning side of exactly three years ago.
  • Feel sorry for Durham who have really suffered and lost more than half of their first team in the last year or so:

Graham Onions - to Lancs
    Paul Coughlin - to Notts
    Phil Mustard - to Gloucs

Or could it be BECAUSE of Botham ?

Must admit, when I met Botham just the once, he was right up his own, and had no time for people around him.

Graham Onions - to Lancs
    Paul Coughlin - to Notts
    Phil Mustard - to Gloucs

Or could it be BECAUSE of Botham ?

Must admit, when I met Botham just the once, he was right up his own, and had no time for people around him.
    I hear what you say about Botham but I think it is more to do with their lack of money and other counties taking advantage of that.
  • dickplumb said:

Yeah just odd all round. I get you want to take some of the younger guys on the tour and it'll be good experience for them.

But say Moeen got injured and we tried Crane but it proved to be too early for him and he struggled. Surely you want Rashid/Leach/whoever they think is next in line, already in the country, acclimatised, playing games and ready to go. Not halfway round the world eating junk food and enjoying the off season.

Strange all round.
    Samit Patel, this season's MVP, could be Stokes' replacement. But then he will be equally happy "eating junk food and enjoying the off season".

Graham Onions - to Lancs
    Paul Coughlin - to Notts
    Phil Mustard - to Gloucs

I wonder if Borthwick will want to move back, as he has flopped at Surrey?
  • There was talk of Borthwick going back.

The thing about Stokes is because of his IPL and England duties he hardly plavs for Durham any longer- and his pay I would expect with Durham is a miniscule amount in relation to his total salary. There's no point in any other county trying to entice him away.
  • As far as I am aware, this is a Lions training camp and they have not got any games scheduled at present, so not like they will be playing themselves into the squad.
  • I read that they have 3 ODI games booked with Perht Scorchers (or was it 20/20?)
  • Can't see Ballance playing 3 if he's chosen for the first test. Root to move up with Bairstow/Stokes and Ballance to go in at 5. Ballance at 3 is a recipe for disaster.

The thing about Stokes is because of his IPL and England duties he hardly plavs for Durham any longer- and his pay I would expect with Durham is a miniscule amount in relation to his total salary. There's no point in any other county trying to entice him away.

There was talk of Borthwick going back.

Durham probably can't afford for Stokes to get the axe by England. Of he loses his central contract they then become his sole employer and so have to start paying him again. Less than he gets from England but more than the token contribution they make while he has a central contract.

With their financial difficulties his wages could be a real problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    Yeah, can see him playing for Surrey, Canters, cant you? :wink:
  • edited October 2017

Yeah, can see him playing for Surrey, Canters, cant you? :wink:

Better than the Currans and Rikki Clarke? No chance. We've got the all rounder slot covered. He wouldn't wanna carry the drinks for us
  • Sounds like Pattinson is looking doubtful for first couple of tests....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/41484843
  • You can always rely on Jim Maxwell, Ozzie wanker.
  • Sounds like Pattinson is looking doubtful for first couple of tests....

Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood and Lyon should knock us over
  • edited October 2017
    wmcf123 said:

Sounds like Pattinson is looking doubtful for first couple of tests....

Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood and Lyon should knock us over
    Yeah, i think the only 'chink' we have is that Cummins and Starc in particular are highly injury-prone and unlikely to both last the whole series. If they do, we're fecked, i'm afraid.

There was talk of Borthwick going back.

Durham probably can't afford for Stokes to get the axe by England. Of he loses his central contract they then become his sole employer and so have to start paying him again. Less than he gets from England but more than the token contribution they make while he has a central contract.

With their financial difficulties his wages could be a real problem.
    I can't see Stokes losing his central contract. Apart from anything else, by coming under the direct control of the ECB, maybe they feel they have a better chance of trying to control him...
  • http://m.bbc.com/sport/cricket/41490875

Looking more and more likely that Stokes will not be touring Aus. Who would be the ideal replacement? Looking at the Lions team I'm struggling to see who the replacement is. I'd go for Plunkett just to give us some extra pace on the bowling front.My 11 for the first test

Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Malan
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Overton
    Broad
    Anderson

In all honesty only really happy about 8 of that line up. Semi tempted to put Foakes in.
  • http://m.bbc.com/sport/cricket/41490875

Looking more and more likely that Stokes will not be touring Aus. Who would be the ideal replacement? Looking at the Lions team I'm struggling to see who the replacement is. I'd go for Plunkett just to give us some extra pace on the bowling front.My 11 for the first test

Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Malan
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Overton
    Broad
    Anderson

In all honesty only really happy about 8 of that line up. Semi tempted to put Foakes in.

That team is as good as any - I guess it's a toss up between Overton/Ball for that final seam slot and the likes of Vince, Malan and Ballance are so shite that it is basically like deciding whether you'd like to be anally penetrated by a pink, blue or black dildo - it makes no difference and is still going to be bloody painful.
  • There is some talk that we are going to send two replacements for Stokes - a batsman and a bowler.