Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bury | Sat 23 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bury
Saturday 23rd September 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northamptonshire)

Introduction

It might only be September and have played less than 10-games yet the fact we’ve already lost three games means that Karl Robinson and his side are already losing ground on their rivals. A situation not helped by the fact that surprise package Shrewsbury Town (relegation battlers in everyone’s eyes) are deservedly occupying one of the available six spots everyone will be wanting this May… On Saturday afternoon, the Addicks will be looking to bounce back from two consecutive defeats as they play host to Bury.

The Opposition
Name: Bury | Manager: Lee Clark
League Form: (P)-8 | (W)-1 | (D)-2 | (L)-5 | (GS)-8 | (GC)-14

This time last season and instead of Shrewsbury leading the way it was the turn of Bury to make everyone sit and listen as they manoeuvred themselves into second place which saw David Flitcroft (Bury Manager at the time) earning the Manager of the Month award… That was as good as it got for Bury last season and for long periods it looked as though relegation to League Two would be confirmed… Yet into the breach stepped Lee Clark who with experience at this level steered the Shakers to safety for yet another season in the third tier.

This time round though and Bury are struggling at the wrong end of the table once more… With over twenty players joining either on a permanent on loan deal has left Lee Clark with the difficult job of trying to integrate a new squad yet it’s a squad of players that shouldn’t be struggling and just need time to gel… Incomings have a wealth of experience at this level include the likes of Rohan Ince (Brighton) and Jermaine Beckford who never really reached his potential.

One player who wont be involved is Striker; Nicky Ajose who on loan from Charlton isnt eligible to play for his parent club yet in addition appears to have had a falling out with his Manager at Bury so wont be appearing for the Shakers any time soon.

Charlton Team News
After eight matches (and with no International break this weekend) its time to see yet another change to Karl Robinson’s squad… Ricky Holmes’ will be paying for his rash start to the season and having already picked up five bookings, will now serve a one match suspension – Who replaces our key man remains to be seen yet you’d expect the position to be filled by either Karlan Ahearne-Grant or Joe Dodoo.

Other than that forced change it doesn’t appear as though there are any other changes to the starting eleven. In his press conference yesterday; Karl Robinson confirmed that Ahmed Kashi and Chris Solly continue to prove their fitness whilst Mark Marshall and Ben Reeves are both closer to match fitness and will hopefully return to the match day squad… Naby Sarr continued the revival of his Charlton career on Wednesday night by scoring the winning goal in the Kent Senior Cup, should we continue to leak goal how long will it be before he’s knocking on the door for a starting spot.

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Ahearne-Grant | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Jackson | Aribo | Dodoo | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
The last thing that Robinson will need is another defeat and with Bury struggling, victory isnt something we should hope for yet demand… the problem though is Lee Clark, having taken Huddersfield, Birmingham and Blackpool to the Valley this is a Manager who knows how to grind out a result if needed… Tomorrow ain’t gonna be pretty.

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Dire game I reckon, 1-1
  • edited September 2017
    Toe curling and frustrating performance from the Addicks here. This lot have performed badly so far this season so I expect The Charlton Athletic Footballing Points Charity Scheme to be in full swing.

0-1 to Bury.
  • My daughter has her 11 plus exam so have to miss this.

Id like to go 4-4-2 for this game but expect the same side other than KAG for Holmes.

Nervy 2-1 win
  • Bounce back. 2-1.
  • Would be happy to see Konsa and/or Aribo get a chance in CM.
  • I think it's all about scoring an early goal. Everything else will be frustrating.
  • edited September 2017
    i wont be there so probably a decent win, not attending many homes and doing a few aways ive managed my longest run without seeing us win. walsall away was the last time i saw us get 3 points on the board.

if we have any serious intentions of going up we need to play a hell of a lot better than the last 2 games, and need to win games like this.
  • 0-2 another dismal day at the office.
  • I expect Shrewsbury's bubble to burst at some point; taking them out of the equation, we're currently 4 points behind Wigan and 2 behind Posh/Bradford so still well in touch (mathematically at least)

Not been inspired by KAG, I'd rather see someone else get a chance. Aribo would be a straight swap, or move JFC forward and play Konsa alongside Kashi. I'd like to see Sarr incorporated somewhere, maybe he could play alongside Kashi tomorrow, from everything I read he "deserves" a chance. Our squad isn't as large as it could be BUT KR isn't utilising it very well by playing the same 11 and bringing on the same subs every week.
  • Yet another game they must win if they have promotion aspirations, however I am going for 1-1 and the grip on mid table mediocrity draws closer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stick Aribo in the middle and put Clarke on the wing, bit of a shuffle but assume he could play any of the 3 positions behind striker. Would not be confident having KAG or Dodoo there

As like every other Charlton game its a lottery, we might sneak a 2-1 win
  • Back on track for me although not that pretty, 2-0 but only with the second one coming late on.
  • I did wonder if it would be worth putting Ezri Konsa in place of Ricky Holmes.

He's shown from his cameos this season that he's playing further up the pitch and can move with the ball
  • without holmes the team looks bereft of a spark

it wont be pretty but i see 1-0 to us
  • We will miss Ricky but after a rest, he should come back a very Mobile Holmes.
    2-0 Charlton
  • Not expecting a great game but we certainly should have enough for a 2-1 win.
  • 4-0 to The Addicks

( Ahern Grant , Meginnis , Forster Caskey & Pearce )
  • let's see how we go without 'the Rick' .. the best way to break down obdurate, defensive teams is to attack them .. give Hackett-F a start and see how he goes .. home games against strugglers is surely the time to blood the young bloods (is he that young ?) ..
    if the team has lost confidence in its collective ability through the loss of two on the trot then we need to find out this weekend before yet another season slips away .. I am confident that confidence will be high and that the Valley crowd will be right behind the team ..

CAFC 3 v Bury 0
  • We're not at our best and haven't had a draw yet. Rarely keep a clean sheet so, I'll go 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-1 Bury. CL not happy!
  • God forbid Bury (averaging one goal per game) score first, especially if that is in the second half whilst we are kicking the 'wrong' way. They will raise their game and have some players who can hurt us, we really need to be positive and let them worry about us to counter their threat.
    KAG if he plays will presumably be on the right ish side where he doesn't tend to play. He is overwhelmingly right footed though. However KAG has the pace and touch to get free in a wide right position. If he can cross a lot, and the likes of JFC, Clarke and Fosu can pile in to back up Magennis, then KAG included as a kind of right winger might work.
    Open the scoring in the first twenty minutes and we might have a chance, otherwise I expect a very dour encounter.
  • I predicted the Gills defeat. I am predicting a defeat by Bury. The squad is not strong enough.
  • Time for a tighter, less free flowing Plan B.

Just too easy to score against us.

• As Seth suggested, we probably need to score first.
    Bury then will have to come at us and at times will leave gaps at the back, to be exploited on the counter.

If it doesn't work out that way, prepare for an unholy mess a la the Wigan game - and a very fed up Golfie.

;o)
  • I was wrong for both the Wigan and Gills games, so 0-1 loss, cannot read KR mind so do not know who will replace Holmes, I know who is obvious
  • ross1 said:

I was wrong for both the Wigan and Gills games, so 0-1 loss, cannot read KR mind so
    do not know who will replace Holmes, I know who is obvious

Ahearne Grant will replace Holmes.
  • Think we will win tomorrow, might not be a polished performance but 3 points is 3 points!
    1-0 Clarke
  • 4-0 to The Addicks

( Ahern Grant , Meginnis , Forster Caskey & Pearce )

I have to agree with Beds.,comfortable home win 4-0.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!