Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018

Steve Barclay new Brexit Secretary. At least we can bank on him.

I would have preferred Nathaniel West.
  • Options
    She can try again, and up the threats! That is when it will all really kick off I predict. There is no way she is going to win the vote and her plan to scare people into it is just not going to work.
  • Options

She can try again, and up the threats! That is when it will all really kick off I predict. There is no way she is going to win the vote and her plan to scare people into it is just not going to work.

what concessions would she need?

A time limit on the backstop/unilateral get out perhaps? But would that be enough?

• Options
    edited November 2018

I think the no confidence is going to happen. But she will win it so it will just be a distraction.

micks1950 said:

It could be worse than a distraction as it should strengthen her position - as there then can't be another Tory leadership challenge for one year.

She will have known all along from the Tory whips about the strength of her position. That they appear unable to secure 48 letters, let alone 158 MPs and a leadership candidate simply reveals their weakness to the electorate and the media - more new information!

Now that she is crossing that bridge, the next challenge is to win a vote in the House. Both Heseltine and McDonnell say the numbers simply do not stack up. As posted higher up, what witnessing is the potential fragmentation of the Government coalition consisting DUP, ERG, Tory remainers and the rest. It will take as long as it takes and all we might hope for is the minimum damage to our economy and international reputation.

If May stays put this simply changes the calculation for Labour and the Tory remainers. The EU27 are not going to change the deal on offer, nor the deadline. To the horror of people such as @Southbank Tusk has revealed that the EU is prepared for the deal, no deal and most of all no Brexit!
  • Options
    The EU will allow time for another vote, which ultimately will scupper May's plan.
  • Options

I'd rather May was in charge than one of Rees Mogg's stupid mates!

It's possibly Ree Moggs's little list of possible Tory replacements that has slowed the flow of 'no confidence' letters.....
  • Options
    Auntie T’s not going anywhere, they won’t get enough letters to force a challenge and she’d probably win if they did.

Interesting times, if it was a soap opera I’d probably watch it, but sadly it isn’t and is actually quite important.

I think there’s a chance she may well get enough support with a few amendments.

She’s got staying power I’ll give her that, probably helped by the numskulls likely to be the challangers.
  • Options

The EU will allow time for another vote, which ultimately will scupper May's plan.

I think this as well. I said some time ago that I wouldn't be overly surprised if this whole situation is being more managed than we may think, in order to eventually arrive at a Remain vote.

Theresa May couldn't do this too speedily as it would be obvious, but I can't help feeling that there's way and means and May is more shrewd than we are giving her credit for.
  • Options
    They will probably get enough - but what do they do when they get them? They don't have the numbers to topple her and she does remind me of Geoff Boycott but sadly not in the best way! But in this case, they will only make themselves and their party look even more stupid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Jacob Rees Mogg's call for Tory MPs to write and send letters of no confidence in the PM seems to have failed. A lost gamble. A misjudgement of colleagues' sentiment. His biggest political set-piece, live on TV, press assembled and briefed, desperately trying to look statesmanlike and important. And he's left with egg on his face.

There's no indication it worked. He called on it yesterday, encouraged his little battle group the ERG to publish their letter and yet, complete silence from the 1922 Committee. The trickle of letters may well continue and the total could still flop over the 48-mark. But the tsunami of diloyalty Rees-Mogg called for has failed to appear.

So, to "out of touch" and "dissembling" we can add the adjectives "disloyal", "treacherous" and "ill-advised"

There's a saying "he who wields the knife never wears the crown". How delicious for that phrase now to be apposite, since it was first used by Michael Heseltine, the distinguished remainer.

Which is why Gove is shuffling around in the shadows.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Jacob Rees Mogg's call for Tory MPs to write and send letters of no confidence in the PM seems to have failed. A lost gamble. A misjudgement of colleagues' sentiment. His biggest political set-piece, live on TV, press assembled and briefed, desperately trying to look statesmanlike and important. And he's left with egg on his face.

There's no indication it worked. He called on it yesterday, encouraged his little battle group the ERG to publish their letter and yet, complete silence from the 1922 Committee. The trickle of letters may well continue and the total could still flop over the 48-mark. But the tsunami of diloyalty Rees-Mogg called for has failed to appear.

So, to "out of touch" and "dissembling" we can add the adjectives "disloyal", "treacherous" and "ill-advised"

There's a saying "he who wields the knife never wears the crown". How delicious for that phrase now to be apposite, since it was first used by Michael Heseltine, the distinguished remainer.

Ditto Boris Johnson. When the time comes for initiative, determination, influence, organisation and temperament, he goes missing. Which is ironic really, because the initials of those words would seem entirely suitable for him.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

If we have another referendum and we vote to remain, surely it is a victory for democracy. Who can say otherwise in all honesty?

The Leave voters from last time. They want democracy but don't want it repeated.
    So if there was another referendum which voted Remain but the Government decided to Leave anyway, you would be ok with that? Because that it is the same as what is being argued for now.
  • Options

I think the no confidence is going to happen. But she will win it so it will just be a distraction.

micks1950 said:

It could be worse than a distraction as it should strengthen her position - as there then can't be another Tory leadership challenge for one year.

She will have known all along from the Tory whips about the strength of her position. That they appear unable to secure 48 letters, let alone 158 MPs and a leadership candidate simply reveals their weakness to the electorate and the media - more new information!

Now that she is crossing that bridge, the next challenge is to win a vote in the House. Both Heseltine and McDonnell say the numbers simply do not stack up. As posted higher up, what witnessing is the potential fragmentation of the Government coalition consisting DUP, ERG, Tory remainers and the rest. It will take as long as it takes and all we might hope for is the minimum damage to our economy and international reputation.

If May stays put this simply changes the calculation for Labour and the Tory remainers. The EU27 are not going to change the deal on offer, nor the deadline. To the horror of people such as @Southbank Tusk has revealed that the EU is prepared for the deal, no deal and most of all no Brexit!
    Yes, I am shocked the EU does not want us to Leave and wreck their European project.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Southbank said:

bobmunro said:

If we have another referendum and we vote to remain, surely it is a victory for democracy. Who can say otherwise in all honesty?

The Leave voters from last time. They want democracy but don't want it repeated.
    So if there was another referendum which voted Remain but the Government decided to Leave anyway, you would be ok with that? Because that it is the same as what is being argued for now.
    If the result had been Remain but it turned out the Remain campaign had engaged in the largest act of criminality and electoral fraud in British political history then I would be in favour of a rerun of the referendum.

I don't even see the call for a People's Vote as a second referendum. I see it as a call to rerun the first which can no longer be considered a democratic exercise due to the high levels of criminality and corruption from the Leave campaigns and foreign agents looking to undermine British democracy.

You can either be in favour of a new, legal referendum, or you can be happy that we reward criminal enterprise by honouring the criminal Leave result.
  • Options

I think this as well. I said some time ago that I wouldn't be overly surprised if this whole situation is being more managed than we may think, in order to eventually arrive at a Remain vote.

Theresa May couldn't do this too speedily as it would be obvious, but I can't help feeling that there's way and means and May is more shrewd than we are giving her credit for.
    I would love to think that there was a plan to save us from Brexit, but it all seems to far fetched to me. The possibilities of who might do what and how things might turn out are just too many for a plan like that to work. Sorry, but I'm filing that idea away with fake moon landings, cargo cults, and homeopathy.
  • Options
    Bring on NO DEAL!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Ditto Boris Johnson. When the time comes for initiative, determination, influence, organisation and temperament, he goes missing. Which is ironic really, because the initials of those words would seem entirely suitable for him.
    Don’t forget Andrea Leadsom’s Pizza Club is still hiding in the shadows and waiting to pounce 🤪
  • Options
    Stig said:

I would love to think that there was a plan to save us from Brexit, but it all seems to far fetched to me. The possibilities of who might do what and how things might turn out are just too many for a plan like that to work. Sorry, but I'm filing that idea away with fake moon landings, cargo cults, and homeopathy.
    I would agree, although not entirely for the reasons you have stated. Nobody currently in parliament has the ability to plan something that complicated. But they are scheming bastards so it is possible.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

bobmunro said:

If the result had been Remain but it turned out the Remain campaign had engaged in the largest act of criminality and electoral fraud in British political history then I would be in favour of a rerun of the referendum.

I don't even see the call for a People's Vote as a second referendum. I see it as a call to rerun the first which can no longer be considered a democratic exercise due to the high levels of criminality and corruption from the Leave campaigns and foreign agents looking to undermine British democracy.

You can either be in favour of a new, legal referendum, or you can be happy that we reward criminal enterprise by honouring the criminal Leave result.
    Remind us how many successful legal proceedings have there been over the last 2 1/2 years to give your post any validity?
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

bobmunro said:

Remind us how many successful legal proceedings have there been over the last 2 1/2 years to give your post any validity?
    The UK Government are blocking the investigation into the several acts of criminality that the police and the Electoral Commission want to proceed with. There was widespread electoral fraud that has taken place, and the government is refusing to do anything about it for political reasons.
  • Options

Don't speak too soon, he looks to me well placed to take over when the first vote on the deal fails. A measure of how far right the Tories have drifted that gove could now be the centre ground
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

bobmunro said:

The UK Government are blocking the investigation into the several acts of criminality that the police and the Electoral Commission want to proceed with. There was widespread electoral fraud that has taken place, and the government is refusing to do anything about it for political reasons.
    So none then.
    Largest act of criminality, you say?
    And the Leader of the Opposition has not bothered to raise a case in a country where legal precedence over rides what the Government wants? I wonder why?

Someone must be talking nonsense.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Stig said:

I would agree, although not entirely for the reasons you have stated. Nobody currently in parliament has the ability to plan something that complicated. But they are scheming bastards so it is possible.

I obviously don't think the whole thing is planned, that would be ridiculous.
    But I don't think it's out of the question that May has some sort of agreement with Juncker.
    If she can engineer or happen upon a second vote, which chooses Remain.
    The EU would be happy to oblige and put the whole sorry saga to bed.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Because that is what he likes doing - I suspect distrust of Gove is probably one of the very few things that the Tories can agree upon at present.
  • Options
    I just wonder if May might seek to call a referendum with the only choice being between he plan and a no deal Brexit - it isn't as though Corbyn and McDonnell are really pushing any alternative or the Tories really give a damn about what happens to the country based on the last two years of farce - which May's agreement really just extends for another 2 years while the alternative from the nutters is to crash out and have a recession. All makes the current leadership issues at Charlton look like a minor irritance.
  • Options

Bring on NO DEAL!!!

Now or in two years time - do you really think that political declaration as to what might happen in two years time has any significance whatsoever?
  • Options
    sm said:

I just wonder if May might seek to call a referendum with the only choice being between he plan and a no deal Brexit - it isn't as though Corbyn and McDonnell are really pushing any alternative or the Tories really give a damn about what happens to the country based on the last two years of farce - which May's agreement really just extends for another 2 years while the alternative from the nutters is to crash out and have a recession. All makes the current leadership issues at Charlton look like a minor irritance.

From the Huff post and confirmed by a bloke I work with who is a Labour party member.

Labour’s stance has hardened significantly in the past few days, with Jeremy Corbyn writing to all members yesterday to explicitly say “we will support all options remaining on the table, including campaigning for a public vote”.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!