Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

redman said:

428 pages on and it still boils down to the Brexiters wanting out of Europe because they hate the idea of anyone other than someone from Eton running the show. Hate the idea of being European and not English / British (delete as applicable). See the future through the prism of the 1950’s and would rather the economy flatlines than admit or even recognise that we will all be worse off for a very long time as a result. No amount of expert opinion or economic forecasts are going to make the slightest difference but fuck it. At least we have blue passports and anyway queuing is what the British do best. They won’t admit to this of course. They just re peddle the lies of taking back control and project fear and offer nothing constructive by way of a solution.

I haven't looked at this thread for a couple of months. Read just one comment (this comment) and remember why.
    Just totally insulting and ignorant.
    If I had a £ for every time somebody told me why I voted Brexit I would have bought Charlton by now with many million to spare to get us back to the premier!
    Just seen there are over 100 posts since this one, but dont need to read anymore. This says it all for me. I hope we crash out without any deal just to annoy all those remainers who are so smug thinking they know best.

Couldn't give a toss anymore. TM will stitch us up. The EU will stich us up. Hope there is a GE & Corbyn gets in. Then you'll really have something to moan about & I'll come back & say......."your problem - you sort it"
    It's my ball and I'm going home.
  • Options

redman said:

428 pages on and it still boils down to the Brexiters wanting out of Europe because they hate the idea of anyone other than someone from Eton running the show. Hate the idea of being European and not English / British (delete as applicable). See the future through the prism of the 1950’s and would rather the economy flatlines than admit or even recognise that we will all be worse off for a very long time as a result. No amount of expert opinion or economic forecasts are going to make the slightest difference but fuck it. At least we have blue passports and anyway queuing is what the British do best. They won’t admit to this of course. They just re peddle the lies of taking back control and project fear and offer nothing constructive by way of a solution.

I haven't looked at this thread for a couple of months. Read just one comment (this comment) and remember why.
    If I had a £ for every time somebody told me why I voted Brexit I would have bought Charlton by now with many million to spare to get us back to the premier!
    Just seen there are over 100 posts since this one, but dont need to read anymore. This says it all for me. I hope we crash out without any deal just to annoy all those remainers who are so smug thinking they know best.

Couldn't give a toss anymore. TM will stitch us up. The EU will stich us up. Hope there is a GE & Corbyn gets in. Then you'll really have something to moan about & I'll come back & say......."your problem - you sort it"
    I’m still getting over “the IRA won”!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I'm still waiting for a politician to give a clear definition of a Brexit strategy rather than a string of inane soundbites.

Nobody wants to take responsibility but everyone is happy to blame everyone else.

For those who voted for Brexit what did you expect to happen? Surely you expected sonebody to have a clue how to action this.

We had a referendum on leaving the EU not on the Brexit process itself which has rendered it all utterly pointless. Even now the Brexiteers in Parliament can't agree a coherent strategy at this late stage which shows what a farce it is.

The issue is with our inept political class.
  • Options

I'm still waiting for a politician to give a clear definition of a Brexit strategy rather than a string of inane soundbites.

Nobody wants to take responsibility but everyone is happy to blame everyone else.

For those who voted for Brexit what did you expect to happen? Surely you expected sonebody to have a clue how to action this.

We had a referendum on leaving the EU not on the Brexit process itself which has rendered it all utterly pointless. Even now the Brexiteers in Parliament can't agree a coherent strategy at this late stage which shows what a farce it is.

Didn’t we have a refderendum in 2017 to decide on the Brexit strategy? That election went about as swimmingly as everything else has for the past 2 years if I remember rightly!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Since when was it either noble or the “right” decision to continue to pursue a policy that will knowingly make everyone’s lives worse off in the name of a political ideology?
    its not political fucking ideology its what the electorate voted for ffs !!

Leave means leave. not stay in some convoluted customs union or tied to the EU in any wsy shape or form.

I for 1 salute MP's like her. Prepared to stand up & be counted & not meekly agree with whatever shitfest TM concocts with the EU.
    The other day the thing that you said threatened 'leave means leave' was the IRA, now you say it is whatever shitfest TM concocts with the EU. Are you now saying TM is a member of the IRA?
    As the boys of the old brigade would say "Our May will come".
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Didn’t we have a refderendum in 2017 to decide on the Brexit strategy? That election went about as swimmingly as everything else has for the past 2 years if I remember rightly!
    The election removed the power from May to do a deal. Simply, she agreed a deal a few months ago remember, which was stopped by the DUP. May would have been quite happy to sign up to the EU's suggestion of a different customs arrangement for Northern Ireland if she had the power at home to do so. We know this because she pretty much had agreed it. The governments position seems to be, we can't solve it so we would like a deal that gives us another couple of years to solve it. That is frankly ridiculous and I can't see the EU agreeing to it. The best they will give May is delaying the deadlines in the short term so this week no longer becomes a crunch week. Not sure what the point of that is though, as if there was a solution, somebody would have found it by now.

• Options

se9addick said:

The election removed the power from May to do a deal. Simply, she agreed a deal a few months ago remember, which was stopped by the DUP. May would have been quite happy to sign up to the EU's suggestion of a different customs arrangement for Northern Ireland if she had the power at home to do so. We know this because she pretty much had agreed it. The governments position seems to be, we can't solve it so we would like a deal that gives us another couple of years to solve it. That is frankly ridiculous and I can't see the EU agreeing to it. The best they will give May is delaying the deadlines in the short term so this week no longer becomes a crunch week. Not sure what the point of that is though, as if there was a solution, somebody would have found it by now.

Bizarrely perhaps, I actually agree that NI shouldn’t have a different customs, trading and markets arrangement from the rest of the UK - unlike the DUP, however, I believe that principle should also extend to civil rights.

To me the answer is that the whole of the U.K. remains in the customs union until we find a solution that avoids a visible, hard border and we come to an agreement on our future relationship with the EU that will wreak significantly less havoc on our economy than no deal. I don’t even really understand why that’s particularly controversial.
  • Options

se9addick said:

The election removed the power from May to do a deal.
    Simply, she agreed a deal a few months ago remember, which was stopped by the DUP. May would have been quite happy to sign up to the EU's suggestion of a different customs arrangement for Northern Ireland if she had the power at home to do so. We know this because she pretty much had agreed it. The governments position seems to be, we can't solve it so we would like a deal that gives us another couple of years to solve it. That is frankly ridiculous and I can't see the EU agreeing to it. The best they will give May is delaying the deadlines in the short term so this week no longer becomes a crunch week. Not sure what the point of that is though, as if there was a solution, somebody would have found it by now.

May removed the power to get any sort of decent deal herself with her self imposed 'red lines' at Lancaster House. It's very well playing to her base in an attempt win an election, a tactic which didn't really even work properly anyway, but in doing so she completely painted the country into a corner.
  • Options

redman said:

Pretty sure you don't mean that Golfie. You have kids and I don't for one moment believe you genuinely want to see the impact no deal would have on their future job prospects.

It's also a shame @redman didn't visit this thread more regularly tbh as he would have seen some of the insulting and ignorant comments that have been posted by Leavers too. It's THE most important political process of a generation and it's not right but perhaps understandable that sometimes people say stuff they don't really mean.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

redman said:

Pretty sure you don't mean that Golfie. You have kids and I don't for one moment believe you genuinely want to see the impact no deal would have on their future job prospects.

It's also a shame @redman didn't visit this thread more regularly tbh as he would have seen some of the insulting and ignorant comments that have been posted by Leavers too. It's THE most important political process of a generation and it's not right but perhaps understandable that sometimes people say stuff they don't really mean.
    The blame for this mess lies with politicians - regardless of how you voted our MPs have demonstrated their ineptitude.

If we were going to leave the EU you needed politicians able to execute Brexit and to understand the process and the negotiations involved.

Is anybody, regardless of their views, going to tell me they're happy with the way things have progressed?
  • Options

redman said:

What do you mean "I'll come back and say..."? You have been saying that for weeks! Blaming everyone and everything except yourself for the uneducated decision you made.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I'd love to hear what David Cameron thinks about his gutless decision to hold a referendum and then bail out when he didn't get the result he wanted. The man is an utter tool yet largely seems to have escaped criticism.

We have a divided country and a set of bickering politicians - nobody seems to be in control. The icing on the cake is Arlene Foster from the DUP trying to hold the country to ransom.

• Options

I'd love to hear what David Cameron thinks about his gutless decision to hold a referendum and then bail out when he didn't get the result he wanted. The man is an utter tool yet largely seems to have escaped criticism.

We have a divided country and a set of bickering politicians - nobody seems to be in control. The icing on the cake is Arlene Foster from the DUP trying to hold the country to ransom.

Danny Dyer called him a twat... :lol:
  • Options

Cameron should be in prison.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Bizarrely perhaps, I actually agree that NI shouldn’t have a different customs, trading and markets arrangement from the rest of the UK - unlike the DUP, however, I believe that principle should also extend to civil rights.

To me the answer is that the whole of the U.K. remains in the customs union until we find a solution that avoids a visible, hard border and we come to an agreement on our future relationship with the EU that will wreak significantly less havoc on our economy than no deal. I don’t even really understand why that’s particularly controversial.
    Because you don't know when that will be. It could be never. How do you get that past a hard Brexiter?
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Because you don't know when that will be. It could be never. How do you get that past a hard Brexiter?
    By asking said Hard brexiter, "what % of the population do you claim to represent, and on what factual evidence do you base your claim?"

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I don’t though, do I? That’s not how democracy is supposed to work, I don’t have to find a solution that keeps everyone happy.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

By asking said Hard brexiter, "what % of the population do you claim to represent, and on what factual evidence do you base your claim?"

To which they'll reply the "52% it's what we voted for tralalalalala"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I don’t though, do I? That’s not how democracy is supposed to work, I don’t have to find a solution that keeps everyone happy.
    But you do if they can scupper what you plan to do. If you put it to a hard Brexiter - who are they representing, they will say 17 million voters. It is ridiculous but we are seeing it daily!
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

But you do if they can scupper what you plan to do. If you put it to a hard Brexiter - who are they representing, they will say 17 million voters. It is ridiculous but we are seeing it daily!
    But I can’t use reason to win an argument with someone who is being unreasonable so I simply wouldn’t bother.
  • Options
    But you are not Theresa May. She has to bother.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

She really doesn’t. I think the truly hardcore, Mogg type, Brexiteers are a noisy minority in her party and in the House. Trying to be all things to all people has been one of May’s real fatal flaws. Time to put something on the table that says we will leave the EU in March but remain in the customs union and single market during the “implementation period” which, if we don’t have a solution after the implementation period, then we stay in both until a solution is found and dare the House to vote it down in favour of a no deal alternative.
    Given the number of idiots in Parliament across all parties who seem to think Brexit is a bit of a game nothing would surprise me regarding the vote.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

She really doesn’t. I think the truly hardcore, Mogg type, Brexiteers are a noisy minority in her party and in the House. Trying to be all things to all people has been one of May’s real fatal flaws. Time to put something on the table that says we will leave the EU in March but remain in the customs union and single market during the “implementation period” which, if we don’t have a solution after the implementation period, then we stay in both until a solution is found and dare the House to vote it down in favour of a no deal alternative.
    I think this might be quite insightful.

• Options
    It wont get the numbers, but I'm sure that is the plan.
  • Options

It wont get the numbers, but I'm sure that is the plan.

Really? Of the 650 MPs in the Commons you think more than 325 would vote “no deal” rather than the scenario I outlined? I really don’t, I actually don’t even think it would be particularly close.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    They wont accept the choice. If the government attempted this approach, it would be voted out from Brexiters and Remainers and their would then be a vote of no confidence or an amendment tabled. The question would be, would the government have enough numbers to let a hard Brexit happen, and I don't think it would. Interesting and worrying times.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!