Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• aliwibble said:

If we're talking about basics Chippy, how about you start off with learning not to break the quoting eh?

Going to say the same for the previous above my posts... Or is your tongue not long enough.
  • Depends which previous we're talking about. Given that it was your quoting error in this post that broke its own quoting and that of the follow-ups, I'm not going to say the same for those, as it's not down to them to work back and fix your error. And I have said the same previously to other posters, several times, in this thread and others.
  • edited July 2018
    Loved what Matthew Parris said on Newsnight late last week when discussing whether MP's shouldn't be breaking for almost 2 months as brexit needed fixing as the white paper wasn't the "will of the people".

He said it can't be fixed as what leavers want can't be achieved. He said the "will of the people" could be to ask for pigs to fly, but just because the people "will it" doesn't mean it can happen.

I'm sadly now at the conclusion that brexit can't be done. Might as well forget the whole idea. No deal is better than a bad deal as no deal is the only answer. No deal means no brexit. End of.

• 50 years before there are any benefits from leaving the EU according to Mogg, and he won’t take any responsibility if it goes wrong. So that’s at least 3 generations of Britains poorer for a fantasy of the likes of Mogg

• Loved what Matthew Parris said on Newsnight late last week when discussing whether MP's shouldn't be breaking for almost 2 months as brexit needed fixing as the white paper wasn't the "will of the people".

He said it can't be fixed as what leavers want can't be achieved. He said the "will of the people" could be to ask for pigs to fly, but just because the people "will it" doesn't mean it can happen.

I'm sadly now at the conclusion that brexit can't be done. Might as well forget the whole idea. No deal is better than a bad deal as no deal is the only answer. No deal means no brexit. End of.

Here's hoping
  • This bloke gives me the creeps!
  • Marr didn't press Rabb enough this morning on the details about a no deal brexit and how Rabb is preparing for it.
    Rabb said nothing worthwhile or anything that would hang together, he made Diane Abbott look as direct and on point as Danny Dyer.
    And now Rees Mogg says leave and wait 50 years for the benefits, his cheap shoes, clothing and footwear mantra has disappeared, but crashing out will make £23million appear in his bank account.
  • seth plum said:

Marr didn't press Rabb enough this morning on the details about a no deal brexit and how Rabb is preparing for it.
    Rabb said nothing worthwhile or anything that would hang together, he made Diane Abbott look as direct and on point as Danny Dyer.
    And now Rees Mogg says leave and wait 50 years for the benefits, his cheap shoes, clothing and footwear mantra has disappeared, but crashing out will make £23million appear in his bank account.

Marr went incredibly easy on Rabb.
  • edited July 2018
  • Sponsored links:

• Vincenzo said:
    Any price is worth paying for blue passports and the good times to arrive in fifty years.
    It was the will of the people, who knew what they were voting for.
  • What does the tosser Mogg personally stand to gain if a no deal brexit goes through? Has his fund bet on this in some way, shape or form. He must be personally gaining from this. It's why I think all high profile rich leavers want it, there must be something they gain personally. I don't believe any of them have the nation's best interests at heart.

Have there been any news stories about personal gains
  • edited July 2018
    This 50 years quote - I mean - have you heard anything so ridiculous? I have heard of long termism but my son will be 67 in 50 years! Sorry to be morbid, but most of us will be dead!

The Tosser Mogg stands to gain around the £23m mark btw.
  • I was watching the wonderful opening and closing ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympics yesterday and nostalgically remembering how amazing it was to live there at the time it was on and marvelling at the history and culture it showed to the world. It was such an amazing expression of an outward looking and proud of its impact on the world country, but it now seems like so long ago with all the political chaos and division the referendum unleashed. Even listening to the voiceovers talking about how the Olympics bought the country together with a shared vision now seems very bittersweet.

To go from there to where we are now, and unnecessarily putting the UK's future at risk at the whim of a Conservative party feud whilst inflicting massive division on the country is a really sad turn of events in just a few years.

It does seem strange but there are reasons for it. People are normally cautious but in this case they are willing to bet their children's futures! When people finally come to their senses, it could well be too late.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

cabbles said:

What does the tosser Mogg personally stand to gain if a no deal brexit goes through? Has his fund bet on this in some way, shape or form. He must be personally gaining from this. It's why I think all high profile rich leavers want it, there must be something they gain personally. I don't believe any of them have the nation's best interests at heart.

Have there been any news stories about personal gains

He is a major shareholder in Somerset Capital Management an investment firm dealing with global emerging markets. Hard-Brexit equals more deals with emerging economies - that's the theory anyway.

But he and his wife have a combined personal fortune of £150 million already. No envy from me but, man of the people my arse!
    Crazy that he can peddle the shite about brexit reducing the costs of basic goods and making it easier for poorer/working class families.

The global emerging markets thing makes sense now, cheers Bob.

You could argue that emerging markets might not see the U.K as quite an attractive prospect if we do leave, so his theory may not work in practice :-)
  • They can peddle the shite because a lot of people lap it up!
  • seth plum said:

Vincenzo said:
    Any price is worth paying for blue passports and the good times to arrive in fifty years.
    It was the will of the people, who knew what they were voting for.
    Indeed. The Russian people.
  • I was watching the wonderful opening and closing ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympics yesterday and nostalgically remembering how amazing it was to live there at the time it was on and marvelling at the history and culture it showed to the world. It was such an amazing expression of an outward looking and proud of its impact on the world country, but it now seems like so long ago with all the political chaos and division the referendum unleashed. Even listening to the voiceovers talking about how the Olympics bought the country together with a shared vision now seems very bittersweet.

To go from there to where we are now, and unnecessarily putting the UK's future at risk at the whim of a Conservative party feud whilst inflicting massive division on the country is a really sad turn of events in just a few years.

2012 does seem like the Good Old Days now.
  • Brexit could potentially boost the economy though. If we suddenly decided we weren't going to do it after all, it would provide a massive boost and growth.
  • Brexit could potentially boost the economy though. If we suddenly decided we weren't going to do it after all, it would provide a massive boost and growth.

Would it ?
  • edited July 2018
    I'm pretty sure business would breath a massive sigh of relief and it would change the whole atmosphere in the country! Would need another referendum though as you can only overturn the will of the people with the will of the people!
  • se9addick said:

I'm pretty sure business would breath a massive sigh of relief and it would change the whole atmosphere in the country! Would need another referendum though as you can only overturn the will of the people with the will of the people!

It would help a bit, but I fear a lot of the damage is already done. When looking to invest overseas businesses want stability. One of the reasons that the UK has always benefited from foreign investment is because it has previously been seen as a very stable market without any of the sorts of crazy things that happen from time to time on continental Europe (I’m not even just talking about huge political upheaval, but things as trivial as French strikes or German workers councils). We’ve fundamentally undermined that perception of stability for a generation and even if we called the whole thing off now it would be a very long time before people could fully trust us again.
    Cracking post.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!