Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Sussed you out ages ago big fella.
    Come Xmas you will be dancing to cliff all morning lol
  • Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody OR Wizturd - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
  • Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody OR Wizturd - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday

That's more like it.
  • Listening to Bing and Bowie as we speak
  • Listening to Bing and Bowie as we speak

Watching angry birds with the grandkids.
    Live on the edge that's me
  • edited December 2017
    stonemuse said:

More or less as expected, a Canada+ deal that will include services.

https://egypttoday.com/Article/3/37068/Britain-looking-at-distinct-trade-deal-with-EU-finance-minister

So, now we know what Philip Hammond would like.

All we need is for the really difficult negotiations to start.....

Then, once the Cabinet has agreed on a common approach, the Government can begin attempting to agree the broad outlines of any deal (Free Trade Agreement) as part of the Article 50 negotiations.

Then, assuming that a Brexit deal can be ratified, trade negotiations on what can be agreed, and I'm not sure that the EU will be that keen on Canada+, between the EU and the UK as a third party country can begin.
  • stonemuse said:

More or less as expected, a Canada+ deal that will include services.

https://egypttoday.com/Article/3/37068/Britain-looking-at-distinct-trade-deal-with-EU-finance-minister

So, now we know what Philip Hammond would like.

All we need is for the really difficult negotiations to start.....

Then, once the Cabinet has agreed on a common approach, the Government can begin attempting to agree the broad outlines of any deal (Free Trade Agreement) as part of the Article 50 negotiations.

Then, assuming that a Brexit deal can be ratified, trade negotiations on what can be agreed, and I'm not sure that the EU will be that keen on Canada+, between the EU and the UK as a third party country.
    That’s it, try and make it look difficult :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/michael-gove-accused-of-wanting-to-steal-holiday-days-from-workers_uk_5a368916e4b0ff955ad3d3e0

I don't expect this to gain any traction at this point in time but it shows the direction certain Tory MP's are looking to take the UK in post-Brexit.
  • Brilliant article NornIrish, love the toothache analogy.
  • edited December 2017

Good to see that Finatan O'Toole wrote a long article (Irish Times subscriber pages) over the weekend especially for @seth plum.

He's nice like that...

Fintan O’Toole: UK voted for Brexit because citizens feel their country is ‘broken’. It can be fixed.

Theresa May, in reality an old-fashioned Home Counties conservative, thought the way to gain and consolidate power was to embrace a phoney populism in which the narrow and ambiguous majority who voted for Brexit under false pretences are to be reimagined as “the people”.

May’s allies in the Daily Mail using the language of the French revolutionary terror characterise recalcitrant judges and parliamentarians as “enemies of the people” and “saboteurs”

Contd....

"Phoney populism"......sums Brexit up perfectly!
  • Excellent article. Thanks Norn. You're absolutely right it totally resonates with me.
  • Really good article
  • Stig said:

Brilliant article NornIrish, love the toothache analogy.

Good to see that Finatan O'Toole wrote a long article (Irish Times subscriber pages) over the weekend especially for @seth plum.

He's nice like that...

Fintan O’Toole: UK voted for Brexit because citizens feel their country is ‘broken’. It can be fixed.

Theresa May, in reality an old-fashioned Home Counties conservative, thought the way to gain and consolidate power was to embrace a phoney populism in which the narrow and ambiguous majority who voted for Brexit under false pretences are to be reimagined as “the people”.

May’s allies in the Daily Mail using the language of the French revolutionary terror characterise recalcitrant judges and parliamentarians as “enemies of the people” and “saboteurs”

Contd....

"Phoney populism"......sums Brexit up perfectly!
    If we keep in denying the aspirations of the majority we may see some real populism.
  • Sponsored links:

• Telling these people that immigrants are okay is not going to change their feelings. Because those feelings are not rooted in reality, they are not susceptible to this kind of argument.

One new EU migrant arriving for long term residence in the UK every 5 minutes, is a reality, as are the housing shortage, overcrowded schools and public services. These problems stem from this island being overcrowded and the inability to build infrastructure to match this increased demand in matching time.

There is an imperial nationalism and an anti-imperial nationalism; one sets out to dominate the world,

For me, I can't remember the last Brit I spoke to who wanted to "dominate the world"

On the one hand Brexit is fuelled by nostalgic fantasies of Empire 2.0, a reconstructed global trading empire in which the old colonies will be reconnected to the mother country.

For me, I can't remember the last Brit I spoke to who could even name the "old colonies" let alone wanted them "reconnected to the mother country". I hardly think buying a shipment of New Zealand lamb counts as "reconnecting to the mother country". This part of the article is tosh.

After the Reagan-Thatcher revolution, nation states lost confidence in their core mission of protecting and enabling the fundamental rights of their citizens to dignity, equality and security

What on earth does this mean - "lost confidence in their core mission of protecting the rights of their citizens to ........"

Does the writer believe that the UK Gov't is not prepared to protect the rights of it's citizens ?

Some good points made, but an awful lot of waffle in there as well.
  • I'll give you this Phil, you are certainly living up to your Valiant nickname - I hope your mates use it.
  • You keep banging on about this new migrant every 5 minutes as the root cause of overstretched services. It simply isn't the case, if it were then the baby born every 100 seconds would be destroying our essential services.

Exactly. So the birth rate, increased life expectancy and non-eu immigration are causing a much higher impact to the population so why focus on an area of great financial benefit to the UK?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!