Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

Fiiish said:

In 18 months you will be spending several days queuing at Customs having paid 25% more for your holiday as the government has yet to recruit and train airport security staff despite media reports they are already under-resourced.

What if there is a entry line that says " UK passports only" ?
    It will be quicker than all the UK entry points that I have experienced in the last few years.

Yes, they are already under resourced (and we are still in the EU), so no change there then.

If the EU are not going to trade with us, then that's the M20 cleared of all the trucks for a start.

The Boeing issue is just a ploy for them to make a bid for Bombardier (IMO).

How long have those big corporations been avoiding tax through Lichtenstein/Lux etc ? - we get a Brexit vote and suddenly the EU goes all tax efficient. Could it be that they will need the dosh soon, as we won't be filling the coffers for them?

We have been outside the EU before, so we have had to deal with all the issues you raise.

What - in France, Italy or Portugal? Doubt it, but it might happen. :wink: I expect Boris to be telling you that any minute now...
    There were 2 hour queues at Barcelona airport this Summer.
    So no change there.
    Ok then - my usual question.
    Shall we cancel Brexit so that we don't have to queue so long at (e.g.) Poitiers airport ?
    (I have used it many times - there is one guy for passports in one booth).
    One of many, many, many reasons for cancelling Brexit, yes.
    And what shall we tell the majority that voted for it on the basis that we would remain in the single market, customs union, and the NHS would get £350m a week?
    Who said we were staying "in" anything if we voted "leave".
    As for the £350m - who knows what the exact figure is ?
    This bloke claims he does - just said it again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-repeats-false-350-11181716

When you are in a hole...

Paper that was a remoaner...
    http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-statistics-authority-boss-disappointed-at-boris-johnsons-350m-nhs-claim-11040516

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/09/17/boris-johnson-slapped-down-by-statistics-chief-over-fresh-350m-c/

https://www.rt.com/uk/403618-johnson-brexit-statistics-claim/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4892268/The-BBC-accuses-Boris-LYING-350m-Brexit-claim.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4484553/bbc-accuses-boris-johnson-of-misleading-public-when-he-says-we-can-spend-350m-more-per-week-on-the-nhs-after-brexit/

Is there enough room for both of you in that hole :lol: ?
    Sure... I never ever mentioned the 350million...i am more concerned with the 900 billion euros that gets defrauded every year and the tax fiddles that are done and the eu does naff all about it.... Now that could build a few hospitals... One for each of us... Keep reading tabloid junk.
    Keep digging...
    After you...
    Poor effort.
    Ditto
    My Dad's bigger than your Dad...
  • Options
    The time is coming for the pro-Europe Tories to put the country before their party. The talks with the EU have become a farce and the likely outcome is we will leave without a deal.
  • Options
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4637094/two-tory-meps-suspended-from-the-party-after-voting-to-block-britains-progress-in-brexit-talks/
    Is it also time for those MEPs from both parties who voted in the European Parliament last week against trade talks with the UK starting to also put their country first?
  • Options
    Southbank said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4637094/two-tory-meps-suspended-from-the-party-after-voting-to-block-britains-progress-in-brexit-talks/
    Is it also time for those MEPs from both parties who voted in the European Parliament last week against trade talks with the UK starting to also put their country first?

The sad thing is it's entirely plausible that they think that they are putting their country first. That they actually believe May's banal "No deal is better than a bad deal" and believe talks will inevitably lead to a bad deal.

Of course it's also plausible that they have one of many other personal political reasons for voting the way they did.
  • Options

Southbank said:

The sad thing is it's entirely plausible that they think that they are putting their country first. That they actually believe May's banal "No deal is better than a bad deal" and believe talks will inevitably lead to a bad deal.

Of course it's also plausible that they have one of many other personal political reasons for voting the way they did.
    Most of the 20 are Labour so I imagine it is a mixture of being anti-Brexit in the first place and also wanting to stay on the Euro gravy train for as long as possible.

Whichever, it is a disgrace that they are actively sabotaging the trade talks. The only beneficiaries of continual delay on the talks are the French and others who are using the extra time to encourage businesses to move out of the UK. Perhaps the constituents of these MEPs would like to ask why they are sabotaging the UK economy.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Most of the 20 are Labour so I imagine it is a mixture of being anti-Brexit in the first place and also wanting to stay on the Euro gravy train for as long as possible.

Whichever, it is a disgrace that they are actively sabotaging the trade talks. The only beneficiaries of continual delay on the talks are the French and others who are using the extra time to encourage businesses to move out of the UK. Perhaps the constituents of these MEPs would like to ask why they are sabotaging the UK economy.
    There not sabotaging anything, if anyone sabotaged our future hopes of a trade deal, it's May and her government who are still negotiating with themselves, before they let the EU know. We're leaving, it's the EU job to work out what we want, how we want to get there and how we intend to solve the problems we're creating.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

There not sabotaging anything, if anyone sabotaged our future hopes of a trade deal, it's May and her government who are still negotiating with themselves, before they let the EU know. We're leaving, it's the EU job to work out what we want, how we want to get there and how we intend to solve the problems we're creating.
    I think you will find the EU's job is to do nothing for as long as possible in order to extort as much money from us as possible while allowing France and others in the meantime to create incentives for UK businesses to move to the EU.

May and her government should be saying we are gone. We offer the EU tariff free trade for two years so they can decide what future trade deals they want with us and we get on with tackling our bigger domestic economic problems.

The ridiculous thing as that everybody is saying that the real; problem for business is lack of certainty, and then the Government asks for another two years of transition (ie uncertainty) -go figure!
  • Options
    Didn't Davies sign up to agreeing the three principles over the summer. The fact is, we haven't agreed them. Not sure how May can say the ball in in the EU's court - it is in our court!
  • Options
    The court is locked. The EU team has turned up in immaculate whites. Theresa is busy trying to find a ladder to get a manky ball off the clubhouse roof. David Davis is at the wrong club. Boris is busy trying to find a young American partner for the mixed doubles and has mistaken a man with an orange tan and an unconvincing wig as a suitable partner. Nigel Farage is insisting play resumes as soon as possible. Tennis means tennis he keeps repeating.
  • Options

Didn't Davies sign up to agreeing the three principles over the summer. The fact is, we haven't agreed them. Not sure how May can say the ball in in the EU's court - it is in our court!

Exactly, the EU set the rules, we agreed, and now we're complaining we can't do anything because we want the EU to do the work for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your costs have doubled lol. Project fear continues.
  • Options
    Not sure how a businessman stating a fact can be project fear!
  • Options
    What costs would they be then Mr businessman?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Raw materials are purchased via Europe - Holland and Germany mostly. I was checking invoices the other day and was shocked just how much the prices have gone up. What do you do for a living?
  • Options
    When May talked about entrepreneurs in her conference speech I nearly broke the TV!!!:)
  • Options

Raw materials are purchased via Europe - Holland and Germany mostly. I was checking invoices the other day and was shocked just how much the prices have gone up. What do you do for a living?

You are being ripped off mate. They must have seen you coming. I am a procurement director and have seen no cost rises above the exchange rate changes, about 12%. Didn't you challenge the increases?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    No, we have had to source items elswhere Mr genius procurement director, but they are still more expensive. And some things we have to get from those suppliers. We have even tried China, but got stung there because the quality was crap! Oh and we got hit with import taxes that cost more than the worth of the product. Welcome to going down the pan Britain. Sorry for my tone, but you started it.

Glad your company is doing ok - I seriously am. I don't think it is funny. We are still in business but no thanks to this government!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

When May talked about entrepreneurs in her conference speech I nearly broke the TV!!!:)

It's a bit of myth this 'party of business'. It should be party of bending over and taking it up the backside for big business
    It is a myth but I’ve always thought politicians of any colour are there first and foremost to remain there.
  • Options
    I am surprised you are still going if you have had your costs double. They really are ripping it out of you, your European friends.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Are you really that sad or is it just a persona? Fortunately for us, we are a design business and web design business too. Costs from EU manufacturing side have doubled - we have sourced a lot elsewhere but still at higher cost. Anyway, I think I have given enough information of my busines accounts, do you want to detail how great it is in procurement at the moment?
  • Options
    Everything is going fine in my area. Why have your costs doubled then? Have you asked your suppliers?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I am not going to go through my whole business with you - do you think we just say -ok - thanks! Give me all the details of how the pound is not affecting your business. On second thoughts just leave it. I have spent too long today with problems including companies that think it is ok to wait over 2 months to pay us to have the energy!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    LOL from the FT letters page.
  • Options
    If we are going to talk about jobs, on a weekly basis I see reports from fund managers on the performance of their funds. Brexit is normally mentioned and it is always referred to as having a negative impact on capital growth. Another part of my role is monitoring FX volumes. Needless to say the EUR/GBP does not paint a pretty picture as far as confidence in Sterling goes. The usual response to this from the Brexit lobby is that it makes our exports more competitive. That fails to take into account that our imports far outweigh our exports and much of our exports relies on the import of materials in the first place. It has always been the prevailing view that the pound needs to remain strong in order to maintain this our economy.
  • Options

LOL from the FT letters page.

The author of that letter forgot to also lament the abolishment of slavery in the US.

Letter of the year my arse. Never read such total bollocks outside of a Brexit referendum leaflet.
  • Options
    If we are heading for a hard Brexit I suspect there will be another referendum to vote on the deal or more accurately lack of a deal for the following reasons:

1. there is no Commons majority for May’s version of Brexit let alone a hard one. A stronger representation of remain MPs are in parliament today than before the election.

2 Labour’s electoral gains raise the question of whether the decision in the 2016 referendum is final: for, although Labour was not a remain party, the British Election Study found that the party’s “soft Brexit” policy played a large part in its substantial gain in votes. In constituencies where over 55% voted remain, the party achieved a swing of around 7%. The revenge of the remainers.

3 If the eventual deal is too “hard”, Conservative remainers may join with their opposition counterparts to defeat it; if too “soft”, Tory Eurosceptics could ensure its rejection. There may be no majority for any of the forms of Brexit on offer, with the Commons deadlocked.

4 The House of Lords – in which the pro-remain Liberal Democrats and crossbenchers hold the balance of power, and the proportion of remainers is even higher than in the Commons – will feel justified in rejecting a hard Brexit, arguing that a minority government has no mandate for it.

With the conditions above in parliament and the ever likely possibility of an unfavourable deal and both parties so deeply divided on Europe, it can only be that the only way out is a second referendum in which the government’s deal is put it to the people to decide.
  • Options

You know your facts but I am astonished that the price of raw materials have doubled since the Brexit vote.

I work in international trade and have seen no evidence of a doubling in prices.

However it is your business and you know your data better than me.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!