Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

100 year old driving school

Anyone watching this.

Comments

• Options
    Turned over when I saw your post.

Some doughty and courageous characters on it.
  • Options
    Anyone think it should be mandatory to retake your test at 70?
  • Options
    When you get to a certain age you shouldn't be able to drive anymore
  • Options
    I didn't watch the programme so can only assume what it was about but it reminds me of something I saw yesterday when an older chap who was a bit shaky on his pins to say the least during the afternoon left an event just ahead of me and I watched him stagger (he wasnt drunk I should add) through the car park and as he was going by a new jag suddenly looked like he was going to fall and stopped himself from going over by grabbing the cars wing mirror. The owner won't want to have seen that I thought. Then he opened the door and got in the drivers seat.
  • Options
    Saw a bit of it on Gogglebox. The poor old lady who couldn't hear what the instructor was saying, she was devastated at the end when she was told she couldn't keep her licence, but it was the correct decision, she was a danger to herself and other road users. It's great they are doing this, but I did feel sad for the poor old dear.
  • Options

105?!?! I don't believe that! What a woman!!

Unbelievable, not only does she not look it but she's very with it too.
  • Options
    She was bloody fabulous for 105 and 6 months.
    I cant even do downward dog in Yoga at 41 let alone at her age!

• Options
    clb74 said:

What age do you think that should be?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

105?!?! I don't believe that! What a woman!!

God forbid that KM does'nt have the same DNA, otherwise we are in even deeper doo doo than we thought!
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

clb74 said:

80 yrs
  • Options
    Autonomous vehicle technology will make this discussion redundant in the next few years but for now I'd take licences away when women get to 80 and men get to 85.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

clb74 said:

60/65/70 so on and maybe yearly from 80. All a guesstimate really but so many people shouldn't be on the roads imo not being agist just should be mandatory once you get to the age where poor sight is common you should have at least an eye test/ further tests if needed.
  • Options
    age shouldn't be a factor, health and driving capability should

I do tons of driving and whilst seeing a blue rinse piloting a Micra doing 50 on a national limit A road might grind my gears I'd rather that than some dickhead of 25 sat in the middle or outside lane
  • Options
    I think a retest should be mandatory at 60, 65 and 70. And every two years after that.

People get worse at driving with age. That's unarguable. Cognitive dissonance kicks in - people don't think their driving skills depreciate as fast as they do. (Remember, most people think they are better-than-average drivers - that cannot be true).

Right now, a man starting a job at 16, passing his driving test at 17 and joining a sports club will probably end his career and stop playing sport without having to have a retest. In other words, the skills he has for every aspect of his life will worsen to such an extent that he stops doing them. But, apparently, he's ok to drive a dangerous machine, that's immeasurably faster and more advanced than the one he learned on.

If you're not fit to drive, you shouldn't be allowed to. That goes for drink and drugs, but should also apply to being doddery, bewildered and old.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Chizz said:

I think a retest should be mandatory at 60, 65 and 70. And every two years after that.

People get worse at driving with age. That's unarguable. Cognitive dissonance kicks in - people don't think their driving skills depreciate as fast as they do. (Remember, most people think they are better-than-average drivers - that cannot be true).

Right now, a man starting a job at 16, passing his driving test at 17 and joining a sports club will probably end his career and stop playing sport without having to have a retest. In other words, the skills he has for every aspect of his life will worsen to such an extent that he stops doing them. But, apparently, he's ok to drive a dangerous machine, that's immeasurably faster and more advanced than the one he learned on.

If you're not fit to drive, you shouldn't be allowed to. That goes for drink and drugs, but should also apply to being doddery, bewildered and old.

But the stats show that younger drivers are more dangerous than older ones as I understand it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37292951

Why not go the other way and increase the minimum age or, better still, just leave it alone?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Sod everything else. It should all be down to an IQ test. Too many divs on the road, and i should know because i am always right!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are a load of terrible drivers on the road irrespective of age but I don't think it's unfair to have some sort of check at say 80 if health problems kick in. If you're still fit and healthy at 80 you won't have anything to fear.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Dansk_Red said:

clb74 said:

Easy, 5 years older than I am.
    :)

• Options
    Bump be me in 60 yrs time