Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Left Foot Forward (Hardback) by Garry Nelson.

I was thinking of throwing this out but if anyone wants it, happy to post.

Read it ages ago, can't remember a thing about it.

PM me, first come first served.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    The museum would gladly accept it , just drop it off at the club addressed to the museum
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Just found a copy of this and left foot in the grave while cleaning out my late great uncle's place. Plan to give them another read.
  • Options

Great book - if you have forgotten it, read it again!

Now look wot you gon and dun, Muttley!

I'm gonna have to bleeding read it again, as if I'm not reading enough already.
  • Options

The museum would gladly accept it , just drop it off at the club addressed to the museum

Ok whether I re read it or not, I'll post it to the museum, along with Garry. He must be as old as the hills now.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It isn't a chore though. I think Left Foot in the Grave was marginally the best of the two, although less about Charlton. John Gittens was an absolute star in it! Would love somebody to make a film out of it.
  • Options

I think Left Foot in the Grave was marginally the best of the two,

Was that a follow up?
  • Options
    Yes, It follows his first steps into management as the assistant at cash strapped Torquay United.
  • Options
    Shame neither have been released as ebooks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, It follows his first steps into management as the assistant at cash strapped Torquay United.

What happened to him, is he still in management?
  • Options
    Works in Insurance now.
  • Options

I was thinking of throwing this out but if anyone wants it, happy to post.

You could have thrown it at Nelse on Sunday :smile:

Left Foot Forward is a very decent read, especially for a Charlton fan as it's a great record of what now seems like a very different era of football for our club
  • Options
    An unsigned copy is rarer than a signed one!

I enjoyed both the books when I read the a few years back, the first for the obvious Charlton connections but the second for its excellent insight into the workings of a lower league team.
  • Options
    Very enjoyable read and some very funny bits.
  • Options

Shame neither have been released as ebooks

That's a matter of opinion. Personally, I love the tactile experience of holding a book while reading.
    I still love to read a book, the ebook though is brilliant for ease of travelling.

Used to haul some heavy hardback books into work to read during my breaks which would double the weight of my bag, would also run the risk of the book getting damaged (I love leaving my books in pristine condition).

Because of that I've definitely converted to Kindle etc. yet still miss the smell of a new book!!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Works in Insurance now.

Christ how mind numbing, poor sod he really has hit hard times.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Works in Insurance now.

"Old as the hills, hit hard times?" I don't think so. Bit insulting and factually incorrect. He's doing very well for himself, played at the Valley on Sunday, fit as flea and looking well on it. He's head of Marketing at a Travel Insurance firm. Think he quite enjoys what he does.

• Options

Rob7Lee said:

Works in Insurance now.

Curb_It said:

Rob7Lee said:

Works in Insurance now.

"Old as the hills, hit hard times?" I don't think so. Bit insulting and factually incorrect. He's doing very well for himself, played at the Valley on Sunday, fit as flea and looking well on it. He's head of Marketing at a Travel Insurance firm. Think he quite enjoys what he does.

Its like Curbs put in his book... Sadly the likes of Nelson | Webster | Gatting put in the hard work to ensure the club remained in Division One at the time on what was a shoe string budget at the time and never had the opportunity to win the lottery of playing in the Premier League.

Reckon there a lot more players at other clubs (like Andy Hunt and Clive Mendonca) who played in the Premier League in the early 2000s before the big money was really thrown about and never got to enjoy the results of it.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Rob7Lee said:

Works in Insurance now.

Curb_It said:

Rob7Lee said:

Works in Insurance now.

It was said tongue in cheek.

I was thinking of Steve Martin in Planes Trains and Automobiles, enduring Insurance seminars!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Rob7Lee said:

Works in Insurance now.

"When you step off the plane, and put your Left Foot Forward onto the tarmac of your exotic holiday destination, are you covered by your travel insurance policy?"
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Rob7Lee said:

Works in Insurance now.

Nels is the sort of fella who will never hit hard times.......he doesn't let the grass grow under his feet and will always find a way to earn a pound note!
    It's also helpful that he's such a nice popular fella.
  • Options
    One of the guys I spoke to on Sunday that played in the premier league was on £1,100 a week. To think they gave everything for the shirt and today we have the likes of Watt on thousands that couldn't give a toss
  • Options
    Saw him walking down London Wall recently. Hasn't changed much at all.
  • Options
    At least spell his name right :wink:
  • Options
    Thanks for that