Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My away day at Gillingham on Saturday

Comments

• Options

Rob7Lee said:

Took my lad on Saturday and we were directly in front of the lad and his mates that got nicked for the flare.

Found it quite ironic that he is from Faversham bearing in mind the abuse he was giving the Gills fans for their travelling community heritage..

On a more serious point my lad knew he was going to be stood on his seat all game and shouldn't repeat the language he heard so no issues there but we haven't half got some slags following us for these local away games now.

Im all for getting a few beers in before the game as that creates the atmosphere but don't get the need to throw flares in daylight (cringey and very Palace), break seats for a 'laugh' and just generally act a prick.

Maybe im getting old, or just not a moron?

Lucky you, last time I was in front of the flare lighters (Walsall away last year) the boys in blue decided to pull me out for it!

I believe over the past few years a new group of 'herberts' has attached themselves to the club, 50-60 of them. Predominantly at away games and Mick E is slowly eking them out.

I do take my daughters, all be it they are 14 & 17 now so not as if they haven't heard the words before, although the wife refuses to come anymore (not that she's a football fan anyway, normally misses the goals as reading her kindle :blush: ).

I agree with the OP, you go to football and you do expect to hear strong language, but it's language for the sake of it in the last few years and giving pelters to our own players often for little or no reason. For me it's not so much the words but the aggressive nature of it.

I can remember going season after season to almost every away game in the early 90's, plenty of language and loads of banter but never anywhere near as bad as the aggressive nature you hear it the last few years. Northampton last year springs to mind, hardly a local derby.
    It's because no-one takes ecstacy anymore like they did in the early 90s!! :smiley:
    I couldn't imagine anything worse than coming up during a football game
  • Options

kafka said:

DA9 said:

Wouldn't take my little boy to Palarase & Smallwall (home or away) or gills away
    I know who it attracts and what will happen, always does, always will

Didn't used to though. I agree with you, won't go to local away games now as our support has become just like everything I used to hate about Millwall's.
    I'm afraid it did used to. About 45 years ago in the Kent cup Gillingham was left looking like Aleppo and the train back was dismantled by the time it got to Charlton.
    Indeed it was ... accompanied with much profanity.

Saturday was a picnic compared to some of our awaydays in the 70's
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

How's that filter going? :wink:

Exactly it appears to be failing , must be full up at your ground and we catching the overflow, I'm just hoping it's a case of when in Rome for these divs who turn up at Gills and Zampa farm
    It was quite full on Saturday but still plenty of room for the lesser of the other 22 cup finals we've got this season.

I think it all stems from this generation of fans, particularly the youngsters, being a lot less forgiving/patient than we used to be.
    Hmm. First time I went to the old Toolbox was actually as a neutral, dragged there by a Millwall supporting schoolmate. It was a nothing game, we were standing on a half empty terrace on one side of the pitch.

There was a bloke behind me with his mate. Mid 30's, not at all drunk as far as i could tell. He had only one observation to make about the unfolding goalless draw, but he repeated it, I reckon, 50 times. Therefore I can remember it like it was yesterday, as a 15 year old, your brain is quick to absorb repetition. His observation was

"Whassa facking marrer wi' you, ref? You're a fackin' W---ER!" (emphasis on the final word)

That would be 47 years ago...

In other words, no different to what we heard in the Covered End at that time.
    I know, but it was the fact he shouted this 50 times, and really, nothing else, and we were in one of the side stands. Good job that nothing happened in the following 47 years to make me think he was typical :-)
  • Options
    Gillingham away will always be a match that draws out the scummy elements of our fan base. Let's see how many turn up to Donny or Scunny away?
  • Options
    bellz2002 said:

bellz2002 said:

To be honest I complete agree with @Swisdom . I wouldn't take my kids (when I have them eventually) to any away games for the reasons given.
    It's a massive shame and let's be honest here, there is no need for all of that language especially with kids around. I'll quite happily label people throwing smoke bombs and flares as morons as are those using the c word in front of kids.
    I know I will get pelters but hey, that's fine. Nothing wrong with getting drunk and having fun but there must be a line surely.

Where's that tin hat?

I may be wrong and if so I apologise in advance, but I got the distinct feeling you were supportive of the Cologne fans behaviour ?

I didn't see Charlton fans throwing bottles around town, attacking stewards, trying to break into the ground, even though there were hundreds outside after kick off and nor did they try and invade the home ends. #justsaying.

NB Anyone taking little kids to an away derby game is somewhat naive/out of touch.

I would never have taken my little 'uns to a derby game apart from say Watford, Orient, Brentford or Barnet (obviously).
    No you were quite right but was meaning the majority of them who were peaceful but loud. Definitely do not condone anyone trying to attack stewards, throwing bottles, invading home ends with force etc.
    Well I think we agree that no one has any issue with the majority of well behaved fans of any club.

The issues are with the minority of misbehaving fans.

Personally I think cocaine may play a part as there were definitely some guys doing coke in the pub toilet, although I couldn't say they were Charlton fans for sure.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Took my lad on Saturday and we were directly in front of the lad and his mates that got nicked for the flare.

Found it quite ironic that he is from Faversham bearing in mind the abuse he was giving the Gills fans for their travelling community heritage..

On a more serious point my lad knew he was going to be stood on his seat all game and shouldn't repeat the language he heard so no issues there but we haven't half got some slags following us for these local away games now.

Im all for getting a few beers in before the game as that creates the atmosphere but don't get the need to throw flares in daylight (cringey and very Palace), break seats for a 'laugh' and just generally act a prick.

Lucky you, last time I was in front of the flare lighters (Walsall away last year) the boys in blue decided to pull me out for it!

I believe over the past few years a new group of 'herberts' has attached themselves to the club, 50-60 of them. Predominantly at away games and Mick E is slowly eking them out.

I do take my daughters, all be it they are 14 & 17 now so not as if they haven't heard the words before, although the wife refuses to come anymore (not that she's a football fan anyway, normally misses the goals as reading her kindle :blush: ).

I agree with the OP, you go to football and you do expect to hear strong language, but it's language for the sake of it in the last few years and giving pelters to our own players often for little or no reason. For me it's not so much the words but the aggressive nature of it.

I can remember going season after season to almost every away game in the early 90's, plenty of language and loads of banter but never anywhere near as bad as the aggressive nature you hear it the last few years. Northampton last year springs to mind, hardly a local derby.
    It's because no-one takes ecstacy anymore like they did in the early 90s!! :smiley:
    I took one on the coach on the way to Newcastle for the 4 3 game, just as we stopped at Catterick for a beer. Had another half just as we got to the ground and left the other half for when we got back on after the game. Was a great day out all round
  • Options

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

I took one on the coach on the way to Newcastle for the 4 3 game, just as we stopped at Catterick for a beer. Had another half just as we got to the ground and left the other half for when we got back on after the game. Was a great day out all round
    Fuck that.
    What if it kicked off.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Fuck that.
    What if it kicked off.
    Winning 4 3 at Newcastle after being 3 down? No chance of it kicking off!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Fuck that.
    What if it kicked off.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Fuck that.
    What if it kicked off.
  • Options

Poxy phone (unless I'm still rushing)

Calm down have a cuppa
  • Options

Poxy phone (unless I'm still rushing)

Calm down have a cuppa
    I love you
    You too
  • Options
    Someone's had too much sherbet.
  • Options
    Cant believe that some people are sticking up for these morons...
  • Options
    May i make a suggestion to anyone taking film footage of these idiots. They pass it on to the kent police and to charlton football club... They dont deserve to be called charlton supporters
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

kafka said:

DA9 said:

Wouldn't take my little boy to Palarase & Smallwall (home or away) or gills away
    I know who it attracts and what will happen, always does, always will

Didn't used to though. I agree with you, won't go to local away games now as our support has become just like everything I used to hate about Millwall's.
    I'm afraid it did used to. About 45 years ago in the Kent cup Gillingham was left looking like Aleppo and the train back was dismantled by the time it got to Charlton.
    Did you use the word c@nt though
    I believe the term in 1962 was "lady garden"
  • Options
    Coaches weren't bad back then

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Was you on Barry's coach that day mehmet
  • Options
    I skipped the game as I knew the whole experience would be unpleasant, local(ish) games do bring out an unpleasant element to our support. And with a "traditional" ground surrounded by streets you also get the aggro before and after the game, with confrontations between fans, mindless vandalism etc

It's not a new thing, I remember back in the Parkinson days the police getting involved after some incidents at away matches, Walsall in particular
  • Options
    Glad i was on 12 nights.... Luckily i hope they wont be at Fleetwood next week.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Coaches weren't bad back then

cabbles said:

Rob7Lee said:

Was you on Barry's coach that day mehmet
    Probably. @northstandsteve was with us and will probably have a clearer memory of the day
  • Options
    I got lucky insofar as I didn't have any morons in my immediate vicinity.
    The Steward who we met told us to sit anywhere, although he clearly wasn't doing this consistently as many who followed us were looking intently for their specified seat, including the one I had chosen to sit on. Luckily the other chap and I resolved this with good humour (well I laughed as I decked himkidding).
    I did find the flare throwing distasteful though and one of them went awful close to their goalie Really, what is the point - your club suffers, you suffer. Brainless.
  • Options
    So is it just the C word that people are getting the jump about (in swearing only).

The use of that word now is no more shocking than some of the other swear words were 10/20 years ago. Language evolves and the shocking use of shit and fuckers of yesteryear barely register today.

The same as C*** won't raise an eyebrow soon.

It is just another word.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

So is it just the C word that people are getting the hump about (in swearing only).

The use of that word now is no more shocking than some of the other swear words were 10/20 years ago. Language evolves and the shocking use of shit and fuckers of yesteryear barely register today.

The same as C*** won't raise an eyebrow soon.

It is just another word.

The difference is such language used to be aimed at the opposition fans, not our own players as it is now. Such hatred for our team I really don't get.