Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My away day at Gillingham on Saturday

Comments

• Took my lad on Saturday and we were directly in front of the lad and his mates that got nicked for the flare.

Found it quite ironic that he is from Faversham bearing in mind the abuse he was giving the Gills fans for their travelling community heritage..

On a more serious point my lad knew he was going to be stood on his seat all game and shouldn't repeat the language he heard so no issues there but we haven't half got some slags following us for these local away games now.

Im all for getting a few beers in before the game as that creates the atmosphere but don't get the need to throw flares in daylight (cringey and very Palace), break seats for a 'laugh' and just generally act a prick.

Maybe im getting old, or just not a moron?

Spot on Southend, the language (whatever it may be) doesn't offend me one bit, I expect it at football. The smoke bombs/flares are just muggy though and not really needed, especially when we are chasing the game in the final few minutes.
  • How's that filter going? :wink:

Exactly it appears to be failing , must be full up at your ground and we catching the overflow, I'm just hoping it's a case of when in Rome for these divs who turn up at Gills and Zampa farm
  • As others have said, these local away games up our herbert count

Let's see where they all are come Wigan away in December
  • edited September 2017

How's that filter going? :wink:

Exactly it appears to be failing , must be full up at your ground and we catching the overflow, I'm just hoping it's a case of when in Rome for these divs who turn up at Gills and Zampa farm
    It was quite full on Saturday but still plenty of room for the lesser of the other 22 cup finals we've got this season.

I think it all stems from this generation of fans, particularly the youngsters, being a lot less forgiving/patient than we used to be.
  • I'm trying to not be hypercritical here as in the past I've had a few beers with my mates and effed and blinded through many a match. They've usually been at the new den! But I've been mindful of who's around me and at times apologised to the old girl a couple of seats away and in turn we've had a bit of a laugh.

What I can't stand is the stone Island wearing 50 year old, with gear dribbling out of his nose thinking he's the hardest bloke in the world because he can shout big boys words. Add to this the newly turned 18 year old who had a fight in zens the night before and now thinks he can take on the world, set off a smoke bomb and abuse everyone within 5 mile radius. This is not cool and quite frankly embarrassing at times but each to their own.
  • edited September 2017
    Riviera said:

What really disappoints me about this thread is the constant reference to this match as a "Derby"! It is not a derby, Charlton are from London, admittedly from the east side of London and Kent is probably the nearest county but Charlton is in Inner London, not Greater London like Welling or Bromley.
    If Kent is the Garden of England, then Gillingham is the compost heap!

:wink:
  • I would also suggest that C*** is used much more frequently by the younger lads in general conversation, and therefore will be thrown around much more freely than it would by some who are a bit older.

My old man doesn't like the local aways due to the crowd we attract, but they're the ones I most look forward to with pals etc. Must just be a generational thing.
  • Swisdom said:

As I said - I expect to hear a bit of language - but the specific words used, the frequency of it and the way it was being spat out was disgusting and unnecessary.

If you're comfortable with your kids saying things like that then that's up to you - but I am not.

Well the C word (i'll refer to it like this in order not to offend you :smile: ) is pretty common place. If you watch a lot of major US series, it's used a lot. Game of Thrones uses the word in almost every episode. I watched the new Mitchell and Webb comedy recently and it was used. It's one of those things where something is used a lot, people become de-sensitised to it.

I personally don't have a problem with the word in general and whilst it might be unpleasant for your kids to hear it, it's not a taboo word any more, it's a very common swear word just like fuck and shit IMO. I wouldn't expect to hear that kind of language in the family stand at The Valley (though I'm sure you do from time to time), but when your at an away game like Gillingham and sitting among the masses, you've got to expect it.
    So that's all right then. You know it offends a lot of people but because you say it a lot they should accept it. I don't and never will.
  • I always look forward to threads like this on a Monday after a local derby digesting the outrage of the "old school" supporters and the "get lost" response from our younger supporters. Indeed, I have hours of fun trying to work out who has simply copied and posted their comments from the last similar thread on to this one because it's the same thing said by both sides every time.

Truly 2 totally different viewpoints that will never see eye to eye on behaviour at a local away game.
  • I let my son go and on his own.

Then again he is 18

Ah so that's where the bad language was coming from... :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Riviera said:

What really disappoints me about this thread is the constant reference to this match as a "Derby"! It is not a derby, Charlton are from London, admittedly from the east side of London and Kent is probably the nearest county but Charlton is in Inner London, not Greater London like Welling or Bromley.

Probably a quarter to a third of the away support there on Saturday are likely to live in Kent, many closer to Priestfield than The Valley. More of a derby than Brentford or QPR because of that, even if they are in London.
  • Portsmouth and possibly mk dons will be the only other games where a large following will go, the swearing at football i do it myself maybe not to the extent at some of the people on Saturday, but when there's kids about i would obviously keep it to a minimum or move away.

regarding smoke bombs they were at Bristol city away in the league 1 winning year, and that was a 2pm on a Sunday so dont think it was the same kids.

there not a new thing, i don't really see the point and if you get caught with them its a serious punishment

if the courts pursue it;

3 months custodial
    3 year ban
    surrender of passport for all international fixtures involving england or wales
  • So no one popped into Rolands Bistro for a bruscetta with tomato and basil and a Californian merlot or two?
  • Scoham said:

Riviera said:

:wink:
    I never realised (in comparison to other counties) how small Middlesex actually was.
  • You've been in the posh seats too long!

As said to the other fella last week, not a game / stand I would take my little un to.

Organisation generally was a joke. Queued up for 25 mins to get in. Missed the start. Was probably a 1,000 still outside at ko. Had they delayed ko by just 5-10 mins they could have got everyone in and filtered people into seats. Instead by the time everyone got in aisles were being filled so you didn't have no choice but to stay there

I'm that other fella. I ended up going with my 4 year old. Got there early. I was up near the top. Maybe I got lucky with who was around me. Yes there was swearing but that's part and parcel of a football in my opinion. I left with 5 mins to go. Missed any aggro. I drove so was nowhere near the station. Like I said, maybe I was lucky but I saw loads more blokes with very young children then I thought I would.
  • Riviera said:

What disappoints me is when people think that a derby only occurs when teams close to each other play. Liverpool Man U, Barca Real, Juve Inter, Brighton Palace etc. What you are referring to is a local derby which imo playing Gillingham can still be described as that. It's definitely more of a derby than when we play west London teams yet they are closer in terms of miles.

• colthe3rd said:

Riviera said:

What disappoints me is when people think that a derby only occurs when teams close to each other play. Liverpool Man U, Barca Real, Juve Inter, Brighton Palace etc. What you are referring to is a local derby which imo playing Gillingham can still be described as that. It's definitely more of a derby than when we play west London teams yet they are closer in terms of miles.

True. I'd consider Gillingham more of a derby than AFC Wimbledon.
  • edited September 2017
    cabbles said:

As others have said, these local away games up our herbert count

Let's see where they all are come Wigan away in December

Safe at home so they don't contravene their ASBO curfew.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Addickted said:

So no one popped into Rolands Bistro for a bruscetta with tomato and basil and a Californian merlot or two?

Proves what a c*nt you are.

Merlot with bruschetta?
    I have been called a cnut for many things but never for my pre-match dining habits...
  • Took my lad on Saturday and we were directly in front of the lad and his mates that got nicked for the flare.

Found it quite ironic that he is from Faversham bearing in mind the abuse he was giving the Gills fans for their travelling community heritage..

On a more serious point my lad knew he was going to be stood on his seat all game and shouldn't repeat the language he heard so no issues there but we haven't half got some slags following us for these local away games now.

Im all for getting a few beers in before the game as that creates the atmosphere but don't get the need to throw flares in daylight (cringey and very Palace), break seats for a 'laugh' and just generally act a prick.

Maybe im getting old, or just not a moron?

Lucky you, last time I was in front of the flare lighters (Walsall away last year) the boys in blue decided to pull me out for it!

I believe over the past few years a new group of 'herberts' has attached themselves to the club, 50-60 of them. Predominantly at away games and Mick E is slowly eking them out.

I do take my daughters, all be it they are 14 & 17 now so not as if they haven't heard the words before, although the wife refuses to come anymore (not that she's a football fan anyway, normally misses the goals as reading her kindle :blush: ).

I agree with the OP, you go to football and you do expect to hear strong language, but it's language for the sake of it in the last few years and giving pelters to our own players often for little or no reason. For me it's not so much the words but the aggressive nature of it.

I can remember going season after season to almost every away game in the early 90's, plenty of language and loads of banter but never anywhere near as bad as the aggressive nature you hear it the last few years. Northampton last year springs to mind, hardly a local derby.
  • I have to agree with Swisdom on this. One particular guy standing in the isle , near the front behind the goal. Most of his abuse was for our players and every time he threw in the C word. And then at the station I saw the same guy having a go at two middle aged ladies and a smart looking chap about how Gillingham was a shithole. It's not as if Charlton is Beverly Hills
  • No! No! No! A Derby involves two teams who are not only geographically relatively close but also share some demographic and cultural links. Where families can be split between the two teams in question. As has been pointed out there are CAFC fans in Kent but are there really any Gills in SE7?
    Gillingham is pure pikey country and their fixture should be met with comments like "Who?" "Where's that?" Or "Didn't even know they were still in the league". I find it very sad that so many want to have this relationship with this club, but then I'm not a Charlton fan really.
  • edited September 2017
    bellz2002 said:

To be honest I complete agree with @Swisdom . I wouldn't take my kids (when I have them eventually) to any away games for the reasons given.
    It's a massive shame and let's be honest here, there is no need for all of that language especially with kids around. I'll quite happily label people throwing smoke bombs and flares as morons as are those using the c word in front of kids.
    I know I will get pelters but hey, that's fine. Nothing wrong with getting drunk and having fun but there must be a line surely.

Where's that tin hat?

I may be wrong and if so I apologise in advance, but I got the distinct feeling you were supportive of the Cologne fans behaviour ?

I didn't see Charlton fans throwing bottles around town, attacking stewards, trying to break into the ground, even though there were hundreds outside after kick off and nor did they try and invade the home ends. #justsaying.

NB Anyone taking little kids to an away derby game is somewhat naive/out of touch.

I would never have taken my little 'uns to a derby game apart from say Watford, Orient, Brentford or Barnet (obviously).
  • I don't like hearing the c word at games, but it happens & just have to put up with it - same as the standing up all through the game. Main reason why my parents stopped going to games against Millwall, Palace etc

We were "sat" 3 rows from the front in the upper tier & stood all the way through the game - not a problem but not once did the people in front of us consider sitting down, and they were what I would consider to be "normal fans" - blokes of about my age & blokes with children. What I did think was strange was that we ere told by the stewards that we could sit anywhere we liked (as long as we were in the right tier) - very odd seeing as we had sold out as this would leave a lot of odd empty seats. It meant that people were standing in the gangways & along the front of the seats in the upper tier. Also a saw 30 or more men & women clamber over the lower tier into the upper tier, all in sight of the steward who was supposed to be "in charge" of that section.

Also, we weren't searched going in - although a lot of the younger element were, I could easily have carried the flare in for someone else.
  • I shan't go to Gillingham again. Nothing to do with the football, either.

A lady in her 70s in the row behind me had a neanderthal stand in the seat in front of her. ( Notice, I say "stand") When she asked him, very politely to sit down because she couldn't see, he told her to stand up, like him. He had not the slightest interest in her age, or any infirmity she may have had. Every second word he then shouted was"f***ing", and every fourth was "c***". As in "You f***ing pikey c***!" I was hit in the head 4 times by the person standing behind me. I am 60, with cancer, and bad knees. When I turned round and confronted him, he blamed me for leaning back in my seat too far.

If, as a Charlton fan, I am going to be treated like that by someone who, supposedly, supports the same team as me, I'd rather not go to away games...

Well east stand looks like the answer your get on here is.
    If you don't like it don't go.