Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Good to see you @Riviera

Getting pipped at the finish by an Under 11 girl was a real demoraliser!

I spoke to Jack after and he told me he had to stop for 5 mins. I looked down the results from the bottom up and couldn’t believe he finished over 3 mins bettter than me still !!

All good fun, will see you there again. Get the foot sorted mate
  • Options

Good to see you @Riviera

I spoke to Jack after and he told me he had to stop for 5 mins. I looked down the results from the bottom up and couldn’t believe he finished over 3 mins bettter than me still !!

Didn't we get overtaken by a pint of Guinness in the RTTB half marathon?
  • Options
    Well done @Riviera mate
  • Options

Well done @Riviera mate

Did he win? :wink:

To be serious glad his foot's better if he did run today
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Smashed my pb by a mighty three seconds... 28.54. happy enough seeing as I've spent the last two weeks at an all inclusive resort, taking the "all you can eat" as a direct challenge to my masculinity.

Managed to pass someone in a Charlton shirt as well.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Well done @Riviera mate

Yes he did well and his youngest is a quick!

Well done @McBobbin

What one did you do?

• Options

LenGlover said:

Well done @Riviera mate

Well done @McBobbin

What one did you do?

Chelmsford. About 700 runners today, so got off to a very slow start. Only 5 mins from my house, which is a bonus
  • Options
    LOoks like I chose the wrong one (Greenwich) as Christine Oruhuogu tail walked the Danson Park one this morning
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

LenGlover said:

Well done @Riviera mate

Well done @McBobbin

What one did you do?

Chelmsford. About 700 runners today, so got off to a very slow start. Only 5 mins from my house, which is a bonus
    Across a radius of just a few miles (Danson, Avery Hill, Foots Cray) there were 831 runners today of all ages, shapes and sizes. It’s an incredible free movement, I’ve really been struck by it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

McBobbin said:

LenGlover said:

Well done @Riviera mate

Well done @McBobbin

What one did you do?

Across a radius of just a few miles (Danson, Avery Hill, Foots Cray) there were 831 runners today of all ages, shapes and sizes. It’s an incredible free movement, I’ve really been struck by it
    Completely agree. Loads of goodwill as well, from the runners and volunteers, us others using the park as well
  • Options

T_C_E said:

Good to see you @Riviera

Didn't we get overtaken by a pint of Guinness in the RTTB half marathon?
    It was a can of John Smith’s!! Will never forget that
    Phew, I don't feel so bad as it was a can of John Smiths! ;)
  • Options
    that was a huge struggle to get round today but glad I did. the ones that hurt are the best training, at least that's what I'm telling myself
  • Options
    rina said:

that was a huge struggle to get round today but glad I did. the ones that hurt are the best training, at least that's what I'm telling myself

Just found out @charlton Charlie and Everest did Bexley this morning. We need an ex-CIFC parkrun.

@Riscardo could be a hi-vis marshall...
  • Options

Took up running 2 years ago. Took me around three months to build up to 3k without a stop. At 47 I find running a slog as have never done any on my life. Only really took it up as wife wanted to lose a few.kilos's. I've done 5 x 5k's around Sheffield area. I find the flat ones are slightly quicker as I lose time on the hills even when running down is easier.

I hate running indoors as I overheat very quickly. My preferred temperature is between 10-15.C. Best park run is 25:04. Best 10k 52:10. In all honesty I still don't really enjoy it until I've finished. My mate same age decided to have a go at a 10k and after a few months training put in 34 mins. Made me feel rather slow, but were all designed differently and its finishing that matters. There's a sign in my gym that says: Doesn't matter how fast you go, you are lapping everyone on the sofa.

The best bit about Park Run is that as you come in all the earlier finishers clap in the slower runners as they finish. It really is a very inclusive event.

Similar story to me, took up running a couple of yeas ago as it was easier to fit a quick run in after work than a bike ride. Just about to pass 500km for the year - not too bad considering the snow that covers this place for 5 months of the year & the (very) sub zero temps - i still go out in them. Havent got below 26 mins yet for a 5k or 55 mins for a 10k but it is a much higher altitude here & i tend to run trails rather than roads. Nicest thing is that i run with the family, especially my 13yo daughter - who is deep into pre-season training for her Nordic Skiing. I like that time together, we get to talk, we see things - last night we had to make a detour for a herd of elk blocking our route...we have a Park Run in Calgary (100km away) - its a bit of a slog, high altitude & quite hilly. Always lots of Brits there - seems like incorporating a park run into your holiday is a thing.
  • Options

Well done @Riviera mate

Cheers @AFKABartram Was a struggle, hadn't run for 3 weeks till last Wednesday when I did 3k. Foot felt ok so ran today. Legs were so stiff and felt like they weighed a ton. No PB but not my slowest. My slowest is the only one I "ran" all the way, I think that indicates that I walk faster than I run!
    My wife made her debut today and did a very respectful time. It is such a lovely event.
  • Options

rina said:

Just found out @charlton Charlie and Everest did Bexley this morning. We need an ex-CIFC parkrun.

@Riscardo could be a hi-vis marshall...
    I'm always up for it, especially if it was at Bexley as that's one of the few I need to do to complete the London set
  • Options
    PB's for my wife, my youngest son and @AFKABartram. I'm getting nowhere!
  • Options
    You’re doing great mate, stick at it.

I’ve managed to PB each time (3 runs) but feel I’m close to reaching my limits on that front. Really enjoying it though. Jack done really well.

Hopefully see you again in a fortnight (pub crawl next Friday!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First time at Bexley today whilst training for a half marathon, must say I'm pleasantly surprised with how well organised it was, even if I didn't like the trail part of the course!
  • Options
    GOod time for a first timer mate
  • Options
    Met another addick in Chelmsford, and saw another from afar... Also got overtaken by a mate who has a couple of marathons to his name. Decided he'd run with me and pushed me to 27:16... Massive PB compared to last week's 28:53! My knees are a little sore now
  • Options

I’ve managed to PB each time (3 runs) but feel I’m close to reaching my limits on that front. Really enjoying it though. Jack done really well.

Simply no excuse! I was at the Oval yesterday, on beers from 11, full lunch with wine, more beers then rum! Local beers in Brixton and back to the Pond till closing and a chicken korma. And I'm more than 10 years older than you. Man up! :wink:
  • Options
    Just seen this thread, I do Avery Hill as I live one minute away. 21:49 PB weighing in at 80kg (12.7 stone)
  • Options

Just seen this thread, I do Avery Hill as I live one minute away. 21:49 PB weighing in at 80kg (12.7 stone)

Very impressive! I'm about 10kgs more than that, and would kills for sub 25.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Simply no excuse! I was at the Oval yesterday, on beers from 11, full lunch with wine, more beers then rum! Local beers in Brixton and back to the Pond till closing and a chicken korma. And I'm more than 10 years older than you. Man up! :wink:
    Pah ! We started at 9am :smile:
  • Options

Riviera said:

Pah ! We started at 9am :smile:
    But you didn't run 5K today.
  • Options
    28.39 this morning, best time this year.
  • Options
    Well done! 29.16 for me, my slowest. They did a different course to avoid a funfair, and the start was such a bottleneck I wasted a couple of minutes at least before I could run properly. That's my excuse at least.