Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Anyone do the Bedgebury one on here?
  • Riviera said:

Found it tough today, I did it though but had too many walks for my liking. Having run non-stop on Wednesday for 40min today was disappointing. As ever it got easier though as I went on and I finished stronger than I started. It's a lovely course at Avery Hill but does have a rather brutal uphill section. 3 laps sounded daunting at first but less so as I went on. I'll do so much better next week.

43:54 which is a PB, for now....

Well done.

It's a warm morning which, no offence meant, as I know from my own experience is not great for the 'larger' runner.
  • Dazzler21 said:

If running is supposed to be good for your health and fun how comes every ‘runner’ I ever see either looks like they are just about to have a heart attack or fucking embarrassed ?

Most people have a body that is either not built for running or they don’t know how to run and they have ‘technique’ that looks like it is just storing up muscular trouble down the line

Not sure if this is a joke or not?

Most people were born to run. It's through years of wearing dodgy footwear, lack of exercise and overeating that make people 'not built to run' as you put it.

Bollox

People come in all shapes and sizes etc, before they start over eating, under exercising or ‘wearing dodgy footwear’- some people are natural runners, most are not
  • Dazzler21 said:

If running is supposed to be good for your health and fun how comes every ‘runner’ I ever see either looks like they are just about to have a heart attack or fucking embarrassed ?

Most people have a body that is either not built for running or they don’t know how to run and they have ‘technique’ that looks like it is just storing up muscular trouble down the line

Most people were born to run. It's through years of wearing dodgy footwear, lack of exercise and overeating that make people 'not built to run' as you put it.

Bollox

People come in all shapes and sizes etc, before they start over eating, under exercising or ‘wearing dodgy footwear’- some people are natural runners, most are not
    Humans are built to run! It's in our nature matey! No bollox whatsoever.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Bollox

that is a genuinely weird opinion. have you ever watched young children playing?
  • I'm just getting back into parkrun after a brief hiatus which saw me getting really lazy on weekends. I feel much better now I'm getting out for my saturday morning run again. the target is to get back under 20 minutes at some point this year; it'll be the first time in 6 years
  • rina said:

I'm just getting back into parkrun after a brief hiatus which saw me getting really lazy on weekends. I feel much better now I'm getting out for my saturday morning run again. the target is to get back under 20 minutes at some point this year; it'll be the first time in 6 years

Under 20 mins is amazing.
  • rina said:

I'm just getting back into parkrun after a brief hiatus which saw me getting really lazy on weekends. I feel much better now I'm getting out for my saturday morning run again. the target is to get back under 20 minutes at some point this year; it'll be the first time in 6 years

Blimey. I dream of sub 25! What's the best way to increase speed, just keep pushing it? Or other exercises such as shuttle runs?
  • rina said:

I'll be happy with getting back there but it really is all relative. I've been out this afternoon eating cake with a sub 14 and 2 sub 15 5km runners, they make me at my best (19mins) look positively pedestrian. the main thing to take from this tale is that you can eat cake and still run ridiculously fast
    McBobbin said:

rina said:

Blimey. I dream of sub 25! What's the best way to increase speed, just keep pushing it? Or other exercises such as shuttle runs?
    I would say that for most people 'just keep pushing it' is the exact opposite of what you need to do (assuming you're talking about speed), your body will probably break down at some point. A weekly long run at conversational pace to complement your other shorter runs is the most important thing you can do.

you do however need to do some speed work at faster than 5k pace so that 5k pace feels easy (easier)

• rina said:

rina said:

I'll be happy with getting back there but it really is all relative. I've been out this afternoon eating cake with a sub 14 and 2 sub 15 5km runners, they make me at my best (19mins) look positively pedestrian. the main thing to take from this tale is that you can eat cake and still run ridiculously fast
    McBobbin said:

rina said:

I would say that for most people 'just keep pushing it' is the exact opposite of what you need to do (assuming you're talking about speed), your body will probably break down at some point. A weekly long run at conversational pace to complement your other shorter runs is the most important thing you can do.

you do however need to do some speed work at faster than 5k pace so that 5k pace feels easy (easier)

Thanks! At the moment I get to do 5k once or twice a week, either at the gym or the road. Slightly faster on the treadmill as you would probably expect... This is in my lunch hour as I don't get a lot of time, but you reckon I should look to working up to maybe 10k, at whatever speed is required to go that distance? Makes sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• kimbo said:

Done my 7th now. Wish it wasn't so early but love it

Decided as I live along the road from Greenwich Park it was pointless getting in the car and driving for 15 mins to go to an inferior park. So now do croissant runs. 5k Run then stopping to buy croissants from B Jade. Have gone to runthrough and they are great
  • McBobbin said:

rina said:

rina said:

McBobbin said:

rina said:

Thanks! At the moment I get to do 5k once or twice a week, either at the gym or the road. Slightly faster on the treadmill as you would probably expect... This is in my lunch hour as I don't get a lot of time, but you reckon I should look to working up to maybe 10k, at whatever speed is required to go that distance? Makes sense.
    yep. running 10k slowly once a week will make a massive difference

the other thing that will make a difference when going for a time in a 5k is a good warmup. you need to experiment to see what works for you. try doing a km at race pace 15 minutes before you start and maybe throw in a couple of short sprints. this will save you having to put your legs through the shock of warming up for the first part of your race
  • edited June 2018

Dazzler21 said:

Bollox

Humans are built to run! It's in our nature matey! No bollox whatsoever.
    rina said:

rina said:

McBobbin said:

rina said:

Or more distance at the same pace or MARGINALLY SLOWER, I've not run less than 5k in years.

But Rina's advice is a better, quicker way!
  • Riviera said:

Found it tough today, I did it though but had too many walks for my liking. Having run non-stop on Wednesday for 40min today was disappointing. As ever it got easier though as I went on and I finished stronger than I started. It's a lovely course at Avery Hill but does have a rather brutal uphill section. 3 laps sounded daunting at first but less so as I went on. I'll do so much better next week.

43:54 which is a PB, for now....

That's great - if you think the uphill bit at Avery Hill is daunting, hop over to Hilly Fields one day!

Did Victoria Dock Parkrun this morning and managed an unbelievable (by my standards) 32:42 - was regularly doing 36-38 mins until a couple of weeks back. I picked up cycling again this month and that seems to have helped me run faster. It's great meeting people who finish towards the back but are doing better every week - it's a really supportive atmosphere and all the Parkruns I've been to have been full of smashing people of all ages, shapes and speeds.

Can recommend the BBC Couch to 5k app, by the way, if only for the experience of having Michael Johnson congratulate you on your running.
  • Well @Riviera you inspired me to pound the pavement this morning.

Sadly with the heat and a curry last night it nearly led to me pebbledashing the pavement
  • Well @Riviera you inspired me to pound the pavement this morning.

Sadly with the heat and a curry last night it nearly led to me pebbledashing the pavement

I've got as far as downloading the app, but I haven't opened it yet.
  • Did a 7k trail running race in the mountain's here this morning, rained like hell last night so was nice & muddy - came in 14th out of 48 - pretty happy with that especially as I was one of the oldest out there - felt I could have gone faster plenty left in the tank at the end. I really like trail running - not as harsh on the joints as tarmac & much less monotonous.
  • Sweated around Hilly Fields in a sticky and out-of-practice 38.11 today.

Foots Cray Meadows Parkrun started today: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/footscraymeadows/ Brought to you by the people behind the Danson Park event.
  • Did the standard chartered city 5k earlier this week.. pb of 36.5 mins, nothing special but very happy
  • New Parkrun PB today, mind you I did set the bar rather low on my debut. First one I've managed to do for 4 weeks, just been too busy on Saturdays. Hope to do the next few in a row.
  • Sponsored links:

• Signed up for my first park run tomorrow in Chelmsford... Got my protest shirt nice and ready. Anything under 30 mins will do me to be honest!
  • I'm doing Greenwich tomorrow. My 3rd. Want to get under 40min.
  • Two significant milestones today, got round without stopping and overtook my first fellow runner. On the downside my slowest yet! Really disappointed as I thought I'd done well.
  • Riviera said:

Two significant milestones today, got round without stopping and overtook my first fellow runner. On the downside my slowest yet! Really disappointed as I thought I'd done well.

It’s baking hot, I wouldn’t beat yourself up about the speed - your other achievements sound good enough for a run in a heatwave!

I did the tail-walking at Hilly Fields today (the last person round, letting the marshals know they can stand down) - always fun seeing the variety of people who take part. Wasn’t that much slower than the New Year’s Day I struggled round after a few hours’ kip...
  • Just under 29 mins... I'll take that. Someone gave me some credit for my protest shirt (possibly @Daddy_Pig ) but I was blowing out my arse already and it was only at the 1k marker. That was tough... Far harder than the city race... Possibly because it was hot, early and hilly... Good fun, looking forward to the next one! Glad it's a time I hope to beat.
  • McBobbin said:

Just under 29 mins... I'll take that. Someone gave me some credit for my protest shirt (possibly @Daddy_Pig ) but I was blowing out my arse already and it was only at the 1k marker. That was tough... Far harder than the city race... Possibly because it was hot, early and hilly... Good fun, looking forward to the next one! Glad it's a time I hope to beat.

Wasnt me im afraid. I havent run for a while as I've been doing kickboxing instead. 29 mins is a very good first time especially as Chelmsford is quite a slow course with the big crowd
  • Riviera said:

Two significant milestones today, got round without stopping and overtook my first fellow runner. On the downside my slowest yet! Really disappointed as I thought I'd done well.

You can knock a couple of minutes plus off for the heat to estimate a time in 'normal' conditions.

Sounds as if you had a pretty good run to me.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

McBobbin said:

Just under 29 mins... I'll take that. Someone gave me some credit for my protest shirt (possibly @Daddy_Pig ) but I was blowing out my arse already and it was only at the 1k marker. That was tough... Far harder than the city race... Possibly because it was hot, early and hilly... Good fun, looking forward to the next one! Glad it's a time I hope to beat.

Wasnt me im afraid. I havent run for a while as I've been doing kickboxing instead. 29 mins is a very good first time especially as Chelmsford is quite a slow course with the big crowd
    Whoa! Didn't realise chelmo was such a hotbed of the addickted :) itd be good to knock a couple of minutes off, but good to have my expectations in place. There were Pacers which helped.
  • edited August 2018
    Not been for a couple of weeks as I've done something to my foot, not sure what but it hurts. Anyway took my youngest son down there this morning for his first one. Despite me continually telling him to warm up, stretch out etc he didn't listen and collapsed with cramp on his second lap. He blamed the Chinese take-away he had last night. He sat down for a bit but managed to finish in 26.12. He really should be doing more like 22 and is determined to do better next week and be more prepared.
    Bumped into a very prominent contributor on here who made his debut today and did a very respectable 29.25, which as a first run in the 40-44 age group is really very good. Of course he's too modest to post this himself.