Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Also thanks to who ever created this group for Charlton runners on Strava - always cool to see who is doing what

https://www.strava.com/clubs/516334/members
  • Options
    Very much enjoyed running round crystal palace yesterday in my charlton shirt - and meeting a fellow addick.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Missed yesterday’s Parkrun due to getting Wembley tix, but had a really enjoyable 8 days running.

Good Parkrun last Sat, a new long distance 8 mile on Monday, over a minute off my regular 5 mile route Thursday and then a tough 10k when it a bit warmer early afternoon today. 

Couple of gym sessions chucked in there as well, genuinely surpsised how much I enjoy it to be honest. It’s never too late to give this stuff a try
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    How did we all get on today guys and gals? Anyone else rocket fuelled by excitement for tomorrow?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    During our pre-match beer before the semi-final I think you mentioned 30 minutes as a marker, if you’re running rather than jogging?
    My previous two Park Run times have been around 31:20 on Strava, but today I crept under the 30 min barrier with a 29:59, although it hurt like hell, breathing wise.
    Well pleased with that though. 
    The missus shot off like a startled rabbit, but I managed to keep her in view, which helped. 
    Best time so far has been 29:07 (official), so that’s my next target.
    I sort of hate running, but quite like it at the same time?

[Edit: It’s really odd taking up running aged 61. Although I’m making steady progress, deep down I can’t believe how hard it is. I want to run like did when I played football up to my thirties!]
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    A minute shy of the PB but still caned last weeks time. Felt good today(really didn’t last week), I think last nights cuzza may have rocket propelled me at times
  • Options
    If you awake and reading this then you’ve just over an hour to print out your barcode and get yourself to Danson, Avery Hill or wherever your local Parkrun is. 

No no better way to start the weekend. Good luck!
    You’ll see Dec there. Fingers crossed for the predicted 9am rain. 

I’m off to the Mary Quant exhibition with my mum. 
    Good exhibition that!
  • Options
    37.14 at Bethlem Royal Hospital's first parkrun, out around fields even many of the locals didn't know existed. Not bad for the morning after the Kidbrooke beer festival.

(Insanely, I am supposed to be doing the Westminster Mile fun run tomorrow on my way to Wembley.)
  • Options
    37.14 at Bethlem Royal Hospital's first parkrun, out around fields even many of the locals didn't know existed. Not bad for the morning after the Kidbrooke beer festival.

(Insanely, I am supposed to be doing the Westminster Mile fun run tomorrow on my way to Wembley.)
    Was supposed to be doing the Rye 10 mile tomorrow at 10am and planned the logistics that would have got me to Wembley on time in theory but have decided it would be madness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Still waiting for official results but I timed myself at 41.27 which considering I haven't run for two weeks and have basically been drinking beer instead is quite acceptable. 
     Back to the health farm Monday as the Eltham Park 5 (Miles) is only two weeks away.  :'(
    Edit - 41:25 official time.

• Options
    4 years since she last did a parkrun my 16 year old decided she wanted to come along with me again so 4 of the last 5 weeks we've run together at 4 different parkruns. I'm jogging round about 10 minutes slower than if I was running alone but it's probably been the most enjoyable month of parkrunning I've had
  • Options
    Skipped yesterday as the lure of taking the kids to Broadstairs for a beach day in the sun overcome my own desire to do Parkrun. Hey ho. 

On the sauce next Friday so looking like another dry week ahead :-(
  • Options
    Missed Park Run because youngest wanted to go to Airsoft again, after a break. 
    Managed 6.9k this morning though, with a hangover (after one of my infamous dinner parties :-)).
    Not quick, but pleased I managed to get out at all.
  • Options
    I’m merely kilometres away from @Algarveaddick at present so missed it whilst travelling yesterday and will miss it next week too. But I did manage about 4K around Tavira today but fudge me it was hot and hilly...
  • Options
    Hope you are going out really early? Otherwise you may have to be put in the crazy guy room, @Fumbluff :o  
  • Options
    Managed to knock over a minute off my 10k best tonight. 

Quite bizarrely, my three best runs have all been on Monday nights when I’m tired. Go figure...
    As you are tired you are just going out relaxed running with the attitude 'something is better than nothing.'

In other words you are not putting yourself under pressure to achieve either consciously or sub consciously and thus 'trying too hard.'

That lack of expectation allows you to perform to your current level of ability and fitness.
  • Options
    Maybe Len, interesting thought 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone else on here doing the Eltham Park 5 (miles) on Sunday 16th June, organised by New Eltham Joggers?
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Anyone else on here doing the Eltham Park 5 (miles) on Sunday 16th June, organised by New Eltham Joggers?
    Sadly No,

I love running but organised running is just too expensive for me. This one for example is £16.52 for what is a 45 minute local run. The London half marathons are all now £55-65. It’s a lot of money for something you can do for free.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Riviera said:
    Sadly No,

I love running but organised running is just too expensive for me. This one for example is £16.52 for what is a 45 minute local run. The London half marathons are all now £55-65. It’s a lot of money for something you can do for free.
    Gotta say I'm feeling pretty disillusioned by the cost of events these days. My next half is in September (rolled entry from 2018)

I think I'm done doing organised runs regularly now though.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Sadly No,

Exactly this.  Could never get my head around paying to run a race up to 10k distance when I was happily running 35-40 miles a week on average without needing a medal or t shirt to prove it.  Had no issues paying for the marathons I was involved in and the 2-3 halfs I ran in the build ups to the marathons just to break up the monotony of the training but paying for a 5k or 10k, no thanks.  People in my run club used to look at me like I was a weirdo when I said it.

I'm amazed that so many people sign up for them tbh.

It brings me back to the comment I made about one of my running friends who ran her 300th marathon recently.  Whats the average price of a marathon now, £35-ish?  300 x £35 = £10,500.  Christ almighty.
  • Options

Quite bizarrely, my three best runs have all been on Monday nights when I’m tired. Go figure...
    Consistency of regular exercise, weight loss, build up of the blood vessels in your legs and cardiovascular system.
    You didn't run park run Sat did you?  Presumably you didnt run Sun either.  You might be knackered on Monday but your legs have had a rest?  Makes all the difference.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Riviera said:
    Sadly No,

Exactly this.  Could never get my head around paying to run a race up to 10k distance when I was happily running 35-40 miles a week on average without needing a medal or t shirt to prove it.  Had no issues paying for the marathons I was involved in and the 2-3 halfs I ran in the build ups to the marathons just to break up the monotony of the training but paying for a 5k or 10k, no thanks.  People in my run club used to look at me like I was a weirdo when I said it.

It brings me back to the comment I made about one of my running friends who ran her 300th marathon recently.  Whats the average price of a marathon now, £35-ish?  300 x £35 = £10,500.  Christ almighty.
    I see what you mean, but a lot of people do get something more out of running with other people - I know a load of people who do RunThrough races each week (https://www.runthrough.co.uk/) which are upwards of £20, but it's a social thing as much as a fitness thing (and you get a medal!) A lot of people who do them aren't very fast - slower than me, and I'm slow at 34m for a 5K - but get something more out of it than a solo slog round the streets can provide. It's as much in the head as in the legs. I haven't run on my own in ages, but try to get the odd midweek short run in with GoodGym (https://www.goodgym.org) which is an optional tenner a week and always sociable.
  • Options
    The EP5 does donate excess monies to Demelza. It is a very well run event and has been going for over 20 years. A great social gathering of locals but I guess more attractive if you live in Eltham Park as I do. 
  • Options
    I tend to run better in the evenings rather than first thing. Possibly due to warming up?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Riviera said:
    Sadly No,

I see what you mean, but a lot of people do get something more out of running with other people - I know a load of people who do RunThrough races each week (https://www.runthrough.co.uk/) which are upwards of £20, but it's a social thing as much as a fitness thing (and you get a medal!) A lot of people who do them aren't very fast - slower than me, and I'm slow at 34m for a 5K - but get something more out of it than a solo slog round the streets can provide. It's as much in the head as in the legs. I haven't run on my own in ages, but try to get the odd midweek short run in with GoodGym (https://www.goodgym.org) which is an optional tenner a week and always sociable.
    This is why I find Parkrun such an amazing movement. I get the thrill of running with hundreds of others and don’t have to pay a penny to do so (from a moral perspective accept I need to Marshall volunteer at some point this year)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Consistency of regular exercise, weight loss, build up of the blood vessels in your legs and cardiovascular system.
    You didn't run park run Sat did you?  Presumably you didnt run Sun either.  You might be knackered on Monday but your legs have had a rest?  Makes all the difference.
    Fair point. Looking back over last 10 days my runs have been Thur- Sat - Sun - Wed - Fri - Mon. Will prob do Thur - Sun later this week.

I’m at the point now where im comfortably throwing in a 10-12k run once a week. However, that feels my limit.  I’m still well short of the next step up to a Half. Going slower doesn’t seem to help.

I think I need to go back to run / walk / run to get up to it, but having run now for a year I really don’t want to go back to putting walking intervals back in!